HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Closed Thread

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
I think most people have accepted that if the team doesn't play in Phoenix next year, it WILL be Winnipeg. Hamilton and Quebec don't have a facility the NHL considers "worthy", KC has no ownership ready, and LV doesn't really have either.

As mentioned in the article above, it's not like you can just whip up a deal in a week or three. If LV or KC was on anyone's radar at all, surely we'd have heard *something* by now. Even just a rumour. So far the only time they're mentioned is in "what if?" type scenarios.

Who knows though. The NHL is clever, and I wouldn't bet my life savings against the team going to LV, I just don't think it's very likely at this point.
If the NHL was acting rational, we wouldn't be talking about this right now.

LAS VEGAS it is.

I really do hope it goes to Winnipeg, though. The whole Country would be behind them... for a little bit. Until they beat our teams...

Would they stay in the Pacific Division ? SJ and others would throw a hissy fit. It'd be nifty if they joined the NW and we kicked Colorado out in to the Pacific.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 7:29 PM
BANNED

^ There are probably 5000-10000 true hockey fans in OK City whereas is Winnipeg there would only be about 650,000 out of a population of 750,000!

OK City would be my bet as well, it's not like they would be competing with an NBA team in OK City, right.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 8:09 PM
Robot Hand is the Future

Apparently, there's a 2010-2011 schedule that accomodates a team here.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/st...-winnipeg.html

Quote:
NHL schedule includes Winnipeg
Contingency plan made as Coyotes wrangle continues

The NHL schedule makers have created an itinerary for the 2010-11 season that includes a team based out of Winnipeg.

The schedule is a contingency plan as the future of the Phoenix Coyotes remains undecided, according to numerous media sources, including CBC Sports national reporter Teddy Katz. [...and so on...]

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 8:10 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by duper View Post
They just need to knock on Balsille's door. He has deep pockets, Copps Coliseum all lined up, and a redevelopment plan to make it even better.

But I do agree with you: Winnipeg was always the backup-backup plan.
Balsille's deal with Hamilton and Copp's ended last October when he wasn't able to purchase the Coyotes out of bankruptcy. Besides that, I doubt Balsille would even answer a call from Bettman right now.

I'm starting to wonder now whether Judge Baum is paying attention to the team at the moment and is questioning his verdict?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
^ There are probably 5000-10000 true hockey fans in OK City whereas is Winnipeg there would only be about 650,000 out of a population of 750,000!

OK City would be my bet as well, it's not like they would be competing with an NBA team in OK City, right.
I think the Edmonton Oiler's would raise a stink about that one. They just placed their AHL team in OKC and don't want to lose money like their last AHL team Edmonton Roadrunners did. The NHL coming in and opening up shop wouldn't be good for business at the moment.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 8:27 PM
BANNED

^ I was being sarcastic

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 8:38 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc B. View Post
Apparently, there's a 2010-2011 schedule that accomodates a team here.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/st...-winnipeg.html
That isn't news to those of us following things, it's been rumoured/sourced for at least several weeks now.

Really, that story has nothing new and most of it's "sources" are other media outlets, so take it all with a grain of salt. It's almost as if someone just read a bunch of Internet forums and put together a "story" out of it.

jetsowner.com is NOT a source in any sense, even he admits it. He just reports on what the media are saying.

Don't get me wrong, it's all still pretty cool. You gotta think that even if the NHL really believes Phoenix is a 99% lock, they'd still do something like this. You have to plan for contingencies.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 8:57 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
Edmonton and Calgary both had a triple A baseball team for many years.
That was his point. Vancouver also had an NBA team, and there were CFL teams in the States. None of these teams are around anymore.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 9:04 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post
That was his point. Vancouver also had an NBA team, and there were CFL teams in the States. None of these teams are around anymore.
To be fair, Winnipeg manages to support its baseball team pretty damned well, and it isn't even AAA. If Calgary had anything remotely resembling a decent facility, I could see a team being successful.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 9:15 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

NHL contingency schedule has Jets in Winnipeg

Source: http://www.thestar.com/printarticle/807810

May 11, 2010

Kevin McGran - Toronto Star

The NHL has a “contingency” schedule in place that would see the Winnipeg Jets play in the Northwest Division, a fall-back position should the league be forced to move the Coyotes out of Phoenix.

According to the CBC, the Colorado Avalanche would move to the Pacific Division.

“It’s only speculation so it would be too early to comment on that,” Jean Martineau, the vice-president of communications for the Colorado Avalanche, told thestar.com. regarding the possibility of switching divisions.

The league bought the Coyotes in bankruptcy court last fall for $140 million (all figures U.S.). The team has lost a further $20 million this season. The NHL is hoping the City of Glendale, which owns the Jobing.com Arena, and a group of hockey loving investors known as Ice Edge Holdings, can come to terms on a deal that could keep the team in Arizona.

Talks broke off Monday evening when the Glendale failed to offer Ice Edge exclusive negotiating rights. It may all be a ploy, but a city council meeting Tuesday night may represent the city’s last and best chance at finding a buyer.

Ice Edge investor Daryl Jones tweeted his followers on Tuesday, encouraging them to attend the meeting at Glendale city hall.

The league has a window that opens June 30 to move the team. It’s believed billionaire David Thomson would buy the team and put it in Winnipeg.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 9:25 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Coyotes' future mere blip on Phoenix sports radar

By: Staff Writer - The Winnipeg Free Press

11/05/2010 4:07 PM

WINNIPEG - While Winnipeg hockey fans wait anxiously for the result of tonight's vote by Glendale city council, the metropolitan Phoenix area is not as enthralled.

The seven-member council of Glendale, Arizona will vote tonight on a proposal to allow city manager De Beasley to satisfy all the NHL's requirements to keep the Phoenix Coyotes in Arizona for the 2010-11 season. One of those requirements is believed to be covering off the club's losses, expected to be $20 million or more.

The vote is expected to pass, allowing Glendale more time - as much as another year - to work with the NHL to find someone to keep the team in Arizona. If that effort fails, the club could move to Winnipeg or elsewhere.

Metropolitan Phoenix is less than engrossed with the saga. The NHL ranks sixth or seventh among the most popular sporting leagues in the region, after the NBA, NFL, major-league baseball, college football and college basketball.

The latest story in the Arizona Republic about the Coyotes' possible relocation takes up five paragraphs in a round-up of briefs on Page B2.

About 100 fans in Coyotes jerseys are expected at tonight's meeting, but the loss of the team may amount to a shrug to most Phoenix residents.

The issue of spending tax dollars on a pro hockey team is also not contentious to many residents of greater Phoenix, as Glendale accounts for only 253,000 of the roughly 3.5 million people in the region.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 9:35 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Yeah, I don't think that's a surprise to anyone. The Save the Jets rally had tens of thousands of people, and shut down the downtown core.

The Save the Coyotes rally saw about 1-200 people at best. And I believe they had free food too.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 9:38 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
Those chickens have been counted ten-fold now...
But have those eggs hatched? No. No, they haven't. I'm hoping for this to come through, but given Bettman's dogmatic pursuit of hockey expansion in the Sunbelt, I don't see a return to Canada just yet. I won't changed my mind until I hear an official announcement from the NHL stating that Winnipeg will be getting a team.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 10:05 PM
DRINK

Quote:
To be fair, Winnipeg manages to support its baseball team pretty damned well, and it isn't even AAA. If Calgary had anything remotely resembling a decent facility, I could see a team being successful.
Further, the only reason Edmonton was "forced" out of the PCL was it just didn't make any sense to have a team here after Calgary and Vancouver folded.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 10:12 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
I wouldn't doubt that either. My first job was working for the Calgary Cannons, and they'd been around almost 15 years before I started working for them. They left town mainly because the city wasn't willing to help build a new stadium or even renovate Foothills Stadium to more modern standards. It kind of sucks really, because both Edmonton and Winnipeg got new ball parks, but Calgary wasn't willing to build a new one.

That said, I'm with JP and will wait until the NHL officially announces the Coyotes are playing anywhere but Phoenix next season before I believe they're relocating (be it to Winnipeg or elsewhere).

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 10:24 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post
Edmonton also supported its AAA team very well. The Edmonton Trappers were very well supported by the community here.
The Edmonton Capitals are here now, part of the professional Golden Baseball league.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 10:56 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

NHL offers no comment on Winnipeg's inclusion in schedule

By: Staff Writer - Winnipeg Free Press

11/05/2010 4:17 PM

WINNIPEG - THE National Hockey League is declining to comment on published reports it has come up with a "contingency" schedule that would see a relocated franchise in Winnipeg play in the Northwest division for the 2010-11 hockey season.

Both the CBC and the Toronto Star reported the league has created a fall-back position in the event that it is unable to finalize a deal that would keep the Phoenix Coyotes in the desert.

"No comment," said Bill Daly, the league’s deputy commissioner.

Under the contingency plan, Winnipeg would replace the Colorado Avalanche in the Northwest division, joining the Edmonton Oilers, Calgary Flames, Vancouver Canucks and Minnesota Wild.

Colorado would move into the Pacific division, which features three California-based teams and the Dallas Stars.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 10:56 PM
DRINK

The only reason the Trappers were "sold" was because they were essentially forced out of the league because it became ridiculous to travel to Edmonton once Calgary and Vancouver folded.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 11:03 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
NHL offers no comment on Winnipeg's inclusion in schedule

By: Staff Writer - Winnipeg Free Press

11/05/2010 4:17 PM

WINNIPEG - THE National Hockey League is declining to comment on published reports it has come up with a "contingency" schedule that would see a relocated franchise in Winnipeg play in the Northwest division for the 2010-11 hockey season.

Both the CBC and the Toronto Star reported the league has created a fall-back position in the event that it is unable to finalize a deal that would keep the Phoenix Coyotes in the desert.

"No comment," said Bill Daly, the league’s deputy commissioner.

Under the contingency plan, Winnipeg would replace the Colorado Avalanche in the Northwest division, joining the Edmonton Oilers, Calgary Flames, Vancouver Canucks and Minnesota Wild.

Colorado would move into the Pacific division, which features three California-based teams and the Dallas Stars.
Okay, that's what's stupid. Why aren't the Canucks in the Pacific Division? I mean, they play on the same Pacific coast as LA, Anahiem and San Jose.

I'd think that Calgary, Edmonton, Colorado, Winnipeg, and Minnesota make more sense as a division. Seriously, someone in the NHL office should see that and be like "Winnipeg can be in the Northwest and Vancouver can go to the Pacific". Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 11:25 PM

^Pretty sure they want to keep Calgary Edmonton and Vancouver in the same division.

Not only are they already bitter rivals, but it limits the amount of games American teams play against Canadian teams which generally have lower TV ratings and are viewed less favourably by networks.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 11:27 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
^Pretty sure they want to keep Calgary Edmonton and Vancouver in the same division.

Not only are they already bitter rivals, but it limits the amount of games American teams play against Canadian teams which generally have lower TV ratings and are viewed less favourably by networks.
Yeah, and fewer Canadian teams in the playoffs.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan