HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 3, 2017, 7:30 PM

Anyone else have any Burger Week opinions? I've crushed 5 burgers so far. They were:

Brazen: good but a bit generic
Sous Sol: delicious. Their poutine was also delicious
Tapps: the brick of deep fried mozzarella and sauce were welcome but the bun was dry.
Nuburger Stradbrook: first half was delicious as any but the latter half was vegetable heavy and soggy.
King and Bannatyne: when there was enough meat to stand up to the over-sweet bronuts bun, it was really good.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2017, 7:53 PM

Just had my first burger week entry about an hour ago, from Nuburger Kenaston:

https://leburgerweek.com/restaurants...-kenaston/view

Quote:
Beer chili. Even better, LBJ 1919 beer chili. This burger combines two of our favourite things... Beer & Burgers. Manitoba free-range beef patty, Little Brown Jug beer chili, creamy feta, dill pickles, fresh tomato, alfalfa sprouts & herbed sour cream.
5 of us picked up to go. Place was packed. Overall we enjoyed it. The only common complaint was 1) too much creamy feta/sour cream, and 2) I'm not crazy about alfalfa sprouts, there were a lot on my burger.

Felt like a nice take on a Winnipeg Fatboy. I enjoyed it more than the typical George's burger.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2017, 8:12 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Sandorini

Anyone else notice transit bench ads for a "Sandorini"...

At first I thought... "Hey, a new Greek restaurant is opened. I just might check it out"... I was already to order my glass of white wine and a plate of Caesar salad, when it...

Turns out its NOT a restaurant, but a brand of yoghurt.

But I love that brand name, especially the "sand" part...makes me think of some Calif. beach front.

So where do I buy this? Not at Safeway or Superstore.

And, someone has to open up Sandorini (Family) Restaurant, because it's such a cool name.

Last edited by LilZebra; Sep 3, 2017 at 8:52 PM.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2017, 8:18 PM

My wife had a burger week entry from Hy's....double beef patty with a layer of cheese toast in the middle. She quite enjoyed it.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2017, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
Anyone else notice transit bench ads for a "Sanorini"...

And, someone has to open up Sandorini (Family) Restaurant, because it's such a cool name.
I believe you mean "Santorini", as in the Greek island. There's already a Santorini restaurant in Winnipeg.

https://goo.gl/maps/EF5QC9MmJrP2 Santorini Restaurant & Catering
1839 Portage Ave, Winnipeg, MB R3J
(204) 888-6904

No idea where you can get the yogurt.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2017, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Stevens View Post
I believe you mean "Santorini", as in the Greek island. There's already a Santorini restaurant in Winnipeg.

https://goo.gl/maps/EF5QC9MmJrP2 Santorini Restaurant & Catering
1839 Portage Ave, Winnipeg, MB R3J
(204) 888-6904

No idea where you can get the yogurt.
No the yoghurt defiantly has a 'd' in there, not a 't'.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2017, 9:15 PM

http://www.santorinidairies.com/

Santorini Dairies, they make Sandorini Yogurt

Old Posted Sep 4, 2017, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizzy82 View Post

Beer chili. Even better, LBJ 1919 beer chili. This burger combines two of our favourite things... Beer & Burgers. Manitoba free-range beef patty, Little Brown Jug beer chili, creamy feta, dill pickles, fresh tomato, alfalfa sprouts & herbed sour cream.
When I was little in the 1970s my Dad (b. 1930 d. 2016) used to sing two songs...and they were not Rock/Pop...

Little Brown Jug
and
the portion of the song that goes...
"Uncle Dick is very sick, doing what comes naturally."

My "Uncle Dick" changed his name to "Richard" in 1975 moreso probably because of Tricky Dicky Pres. Nixon than because of any teasing my Dad prolly did to him in the 1940s.

Anyways "little brown jug" I would avoid because it would trigger neg. memories of my sociopathic father.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2017, 2:48 AM

The Grove turned out a winner for Burger Week this year. It's rivaling Sous Sol for my favourite this year.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2017, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizzy82 View Post
http://www.santorinidairies.com/

Santorini Dairies, they make Sandorini Yogurt
Not sure I want some now.

They're factory is in R2W postal code.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 6:33 PM
Aspiring.

Tried the le Burger at Blaze Bistro.
It was okay but got very soggy halfway through. Too much pulled pork, not enough pineapple/red pepper. Not really a winner IMO. Can be skipped.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 7:11 PM

Just had Rudy's Surf & Turf. It was good, but pricey at $16.95. Also, it seemed lacking in the 'surf' department. Supposedly, it had jalapeno and shrimp butter, but I could only taste jalapeno.

Anyone had the Sherbrook Deli burger entry?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 8:51 PM

Tipsy Cow has a decent Burger Week entry, that said it is a fancied up "plain old cheeseburger" which also makes it somewhat forgettable. That said unlike a lot of burger now, and not just burger week ones, it actually maintained structural integrity instead of different parts sliding out of alignment as you eat often leaving you with a bun and no meat at the end. Service was quick but is still going through some of the initial opening bumps, nothing too negative there but it could definitely hurt your overall experience if you aren't willing to let small things slide (ie they asked for my order twice, by two different people).

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 1:19 PM

I've been to The Forks "Commons" area 3 times this summer (once during Canada Games) and am so impressed how packed and vibrant it is. Some of the food shops are staying open later, however still too many closing early. The Forks did a great job with this concept!

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 1:57 PM

^ I agree, it feels like a rejuvenated space. It's not just a spot to scarf a food court lunch anymore.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
The Forks did a great job with this concept!
My main challenge with the Commons at The Forks is the original vision seemed to be that the vendor spaces would essentially be kickstarter like spaces to help people with new ideas get short term space to test out the concept and build some funds to move on to a different venue. This structure would have then given the Commons a constant freshness as there would be a fairly steady stream of new places coming in. Instead it basically took already established places with a track record of popularity among the current young adult crowd and made them essentially permanent fixtures. Sure that might work today and a year from now but in five years time it will again feel old and dated.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
My main challenge with the Commons at The Forks is the original vision seemed to be that the vendor spaces would essentially be kickstarter like spaces to help people with new ideas get short term space to test out the concept and build some funds to move on to a different venue. This structure would have then given the Commons a constant freshness as there would be a fairly steady stream of new places coming in. Instead it basically took already established places with a track record of popularity among the current young adult crowd and made them essentially permanent fixtures. Sure that might work today and a year from now but in five years time it will again feel old and dated.
They started doing that concept with half the spaces but quickly realized it was a logistical nightmare (constantly hunting for new tenants, risk of having none in units at times), and way too costly to try and change the space for rotating tenants. That's why they had one unit as the "NEXT" rotating 3-month pop-up space for a while, however KYU Grill performed so well in their 3 months that they signed a lease.

FYI, they are now only signing 2 or maximum 3 year leases for vendors. Rent is tied to sales, and all the vendors now use a central POS system so The Forks can actually properly track sales data. When leases are up, if the tenant is underperforming, they won't be renewed. This is one of the reasons why The Forks supplied all of the kitchen equipment, and why it was too expensive to always change it - if after 2 years they don't renew, they haven't screwed a local business out of any infrastructure costs.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
FYI, they are now only signing 2 or maximum 3 year leases for vendors. Rent is tied to sales, and all the vendors now use a central POS system so The Forks can actually properly track sales data. When leases are up, if the tenant is underperforming, they won't be renewed. This is one of the reasons why The Forks supplied all of the kitchen equipment, and why it was too expensive to always change it - if after 2 years they don't renew, they haven't screwed a local business out of any infrastructure costs.

that's an excellent idea.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 5:54 PM

City of Winnipeg is conducting a survey on potentially banning smoking on outdoor patios:
http://winnipeg.ca/cms/BLES/PNS/pati...ing_review.stm

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
City of Winnipeg is conducting a survey on potentially banning smoking on outdoor patios:
http://winnipeg.ca/cms/BLES/PNS/pati...ing_review.stm
no survey required, nail the smokers to the cross and burn them! no topic gets me more irritated than SMOKERS!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan