HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Park Michigan in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 18, 2006, 9:37 PM
THAT Guy

I kind of like the bluish-gray paint on the YWCA now. It might blend nicely with the blue glass of this tower.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2006, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy
I kind of like the bluish-gray paint on the YWCA now. It might blend nicely with the blue glass of this tower.
You know that that color is gone right? It will be repainted red.+

Old Posted Sep 20, 2006, 11:34 PM
Registered

^ No paint, just the real Victorian brick.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2006, 3:51 PM
Chicagotom SSC

Original YWCA Building

More inspection and sampling of brick and windows.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2006, 9:50 PM
1st Ward

^ How exactly does one remove paint from brick? From my experience, brick just soaks up the paint, making it very difficult, and conventional paint removal methods nearly impossible. Id imagine they would use some potent chemical, or acid remover?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2006, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center
^ How exactly does one remove paint from brick? From my experience, brick just soaks up the paint, making it very difficult, and conventional paint removal methods nearly impossible. Id imagine they would use some potent chemical, or acid remover?
Sometimes they will use chemicals to help disolve and loosen the paint. They will also use baking soda in water (possibly hot water) at a high pressure.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2006, 10:04 PM
BANNED

Man they remove paint from brick all the time in the city.....graffitti......granted this is old paint, but this is not a major technical hurdle

Old Posted Sep 23, 2006, 1:56 AM

I'm sure this has been discussed, but why are they bothering to keep the old YMCA structure at all. It seems like a lot of work for something that ends up being a strange aesthetic integration. It's a bit like the new Soldier Field, where two unrelated objects are forced to share the same plot.

Having said that, I am still very excited about this project.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2006, 2:20 AM
1st Ward

^ Michigan Avenue Streetwall Historic District. It would be illegal to demolish the facade of that building. My guess would be thats the primary reason

And never underestimate the draw of historical allure. Buyers like the fact they will be living in a building that is part of Chicago history.

And while im posting in this thread, is anyone else dissapointed that the publishing offices nextdoor actually renovated thier hideous 60's era facade? Why not just reskin it in a pomo style, or give it a glass curtainwall? Heck, anything wouldve been an improvement over the current situation they got goin over there.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2006, 5:53 PM

Quote:
^ And while im posting in this thread, is anyone else dissapointed that the publishing offices nextdoor actually renovated thier hideous 60's era facade? Why not just reskin it in a pomo style, or give it a glass curtainwall? Heck, anything wouldve been an improvement over the current situation they got goin over there.
Hideous is a matter of taste, of course. It is a classic 60's take on an International Style office loft. It is a style of office seen more in Europe, especially London. I think it adds to the diverse character of the streetwall.

The interiors of this building are over-the-top 60's Mod. John Johnson's office on the top floor has fur wall treatments; not just carpeted walls mind you, but Big Game African animal fur!

Old Posted Sep 23, 2006, 6:20 PM
Registered

^ Wow, I had no idea about the interiors. I too like the building a lot (it was very sad when the Travertine marble recently came down).

It will be exciting when Park Michigan is done to see three eras, styles, and heights smashed together this way - each ascending in greatness and grandeur.

Re: facade inspections and repairs, this is not cheap stuff. The developer must be pretty confident about the building's prospects, if he's willing to put the money into this part of the project before it's a done deal.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2006, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte
^ No paint
Damnit! I was really hoping for Cherry Red Metallic!

Old Posted Oct 15, 2006, 1:27 AM
Because I'm Clever!

You know where to find the rest.

One thing I've noticed is that the N-S profile is square. It looks odd, and if the building was any wider, it would look ugly. Also, while 10ft cielings are standard in low-mid level residential, isn't it downright short in a modern luxury building?

Last edited by STR; Oct 15, 2006 at 4:45 AM.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2006, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubs in five
I'm sure this has been discussed, but why are they bothering to keep the old YMCA structure at all. It seems like a lot of work for something that ends up being a strange aesthetic integration. It's a bit like the new Soldier Field, where two unrelated objects are forced to share the same plot.

Having said that, I am still very excited about this project.

I think it will look better than the Soldier Field mess. This tower is going to be set back. Some towers above shorter historic buildings clash. There is one that I think is a bit west of this site. I don't rememer what it is. Maybe a bank building?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2006, 4:34 AM

Quote:
^ Michigan Avenue Streetwall Historic District. It would be illegal to demolish the facade of that building. My guess would be thats the primary reason

And never underestimate the draw of historical allure. Buyers like the fact they will be living in a building that is part of Chicago history.

And while im posting in this thread, is anyone else dissapointed that the publishing offices nextdoor actually renovated thier hideous 60's era facade? Why not just reskin it in a pomo style, or give it a glass curtainwall? Heck, anything wouldve been an improvement over the current situation they got goin over there.

I don't like that façade either. At least for that section of Michigan.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2006, 12:49 PM

HEY STR- Great renderings!!!

Thanks

PS- I love the "six phases" quote. Never knew where it came from before though.

Last edited by jet cm; Dec 9, 2012 at 12:46 PM.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2006, 3:33 PM
Registered

^ Maybe he'll agree to help out if you agree to always come here with the scoop on this and other projects!

By the way, what's the newest with Park Michigan? Thanks.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2006, 6:46 PM

I like the way Park Michigan looks. I wish they would open their sales center already.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2006, 8:39 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

While not exactly a wow factor, the tower will still be a great addition to the skyline and i think it will probably compliment the skyline well.

As spyguy already pointed out, the blue glass may help this tower stand out a bit more once built...

Last edited by urban_encounter; Oct 15, 2006 at 8:45 PM.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2006, 10:11 PM
Chicagotom SSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet cm
Somebody got a picture of me when we were looking at the YWCA original windows.
We have many eyes in the Loop. I'll take credit for that drive by shooting. So what's your take on the building? I noticed that you guys took down a good part of the marble at the base of the building around the entrance. Was it worse than you expected?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive