HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 9:40 PM

The virus has moved a lot of people to work from home and virtual meetings. Not surprised there is a webcam shortage.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 9:57 PM

^^Try Memory Express on Rte 90. Most out of stock but some available.

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Search...?Search=webcam

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 2:53 PM

4 New Freshco's are coming to Winnipeg

Safeway/Sobey's will closing 3 of it's Safeway stores in September and converting them to Freshco.
While the Bronx store is currently idle.

Sargent;
Niakwa Village; (Alpine Ave, Ste Anne and Fermor)
Pembina and McGillivray; and
Henderson and Bronx.

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/four-new...ipeg-1.4977600

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 4:03 PM

Just breaking: Starbucks is closing 200 Canadian locations. With the density of locations in downtown Winnipeg it seems likely at least a few of those will be here.

They are also said to be looking into converting some locations to the much smaller footprint "pick up only" model like a recently opened location in Toronto.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 4:15 PM

^ I didn't think downtown Winnipeg was especially oversaturated with Starbucks locations relative to other Canadian downtowns of similar sizes... there are only what, 5 left? And the one at the Radisson and the one at Lombard Place seem more like tenant/guest amenities than anything.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 4:50 PM

I noticed the Starbuck's on Pembina at Somerset had closed. I was surprised because I thought the drive-through locations were still operating. Oh well.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 5:23 PM

There's two in the Regent/Lag area. I suspect one will close. Doesn't really bother me none. My wife on the other hand.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
I noticed the Starbuck's on Pembina at Somerset had closed. I was surprised because I thought the drive-through locations were still operating. Oh well.
Closure like most Starbuck's was temporary. It is open again.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
The one further south on Pembina closed a little while ago. Not surprised as I always forgot that one was there and would drive to Ft Richmond or Somerset.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 11:39 PM

The Osborne/River one always seems busy, but I'm not sure if it's a revenue generator like their little latte drive-through factories on Taylor

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 1:11 AM

I honestly don't see Starbucks closing any downtown ones except maybe the weird skywalk one in the police building. Other than the Winnipeg Square location that's a big one (and packed always) the rest are all kiosk locations in busy areas. Radisson is kind of like that, only has 2 or 3 tables. Eventually Portage Place will have to move/close as the mall will be gone.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 2:52 AM

^ I forgot about the one in the police HQ skywalk...

I guess we recently lost one downtown, the one on Graham. Which is a bit surprising because it was generally busy whenever I was in there during the daytime. Was there one in the U of W AnX? Did it close? If so, that would be two down in recent years.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 3:59 AM

The UW ANX Starbucks closed well before the pandemic. It was operated by CanadInns, so not a corporate owned store. CanadInns also operates the one at HSC and at the Radisson, I assume.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 4:26 AM

U of W needed more space in the AnX so the Starbucks and Garbonzos are gone. There was also one in 201 Portage before the renos. So 3 Starbucks have closed downtown in the last year or two.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 7:26 AM

and nothing seems to have progressed at the rumoured Starbucks at the former robin's at moray and portage.. so that probably got axed. all of this is good news for the locally-owned coffee shop scene, of course, which was holding its own and generaly prospering before the pandemic. so we will see where the dust settles!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 1:29 PM

The Starbucks closures seem to be heavily around campers and getting rid of that dead space that doesn't generate revenue. That would suggest that Kennaston @ McGillivary, Ellice and Corydon are at-risk locations. Winnipeg Square could be as well as it runs the larger format but doesn't seem to have the same camping issues as other locations. The Police HQ location is a smaller format that definitely does not have the camping issue going on.

I also think the Portage @ Moray location will still proceed but they could adjust there plans to take up less of the space and look for someone to have a large presence on the "front of the house" side. Aka basically setup a drive thru/walk in location with near zero sitting space and sublease that side of it out.

Now if we could just get some Camping Panera Bread locations to open up here. Higgins and Main is prime for that type of retail.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 1:31 PM

^ Did Starbucks make their locations a little too comfortable for people to stay a long time and nurse their drink? It reminds me a bit of when bookstores went crazy in the late 90s putting out soft chairs and encouraging people to linger before realizing that having someone sit in your store for two hours, flip through a pile of manga books and leave without buying anything is not really the greatest business model. They had to dial that back a bit.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 2:14 PM

Did I just read someone hoping for Panera Bread at the corner of Higgins & Main? If that is not sarcastic that is the most ridiculous thing i've ever read on this forum.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I forgot about the one in the police HQ skywalk...

I guess we recently lost one downtown, the one on Graham. Which is a bit surprising because it was generally busy whenever I was in there during the daytime. Was there one in the U of W AnX? Did it close? If so, that would be two down in recent years.
Yes there was one in the U of W's "Anx" building that closed down maybe a year or so ago. (The Garbonzo's in the Anx also closed and it's all going to be converted to classrooms and offices.... the absolute failure of the "Anx" by its very design is another discussion for another thread, but anyway.)

There is a Starbucks opening on Portage Avenue in Westwood, near the Charleswood Bridge.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor204 View Post
4 New Freshco's are coming to Winnipeg

Safeway/Sobey's will closing 3 of it's Safeway stores in September and converting them to Freshco.
While the Bronx store is currently idle.

Sargent;
Niakwa Village; (Alpine Ave, Ste Anne and Fermor)
Pembina and McGillivray; and
Henderson and Bronx.

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/four-new...ipeg-1.4977600
Two of those Safeways have a Starbucks, so there are two that will likely close and depending on the customer restrictions in Chapters and other grocery stores (Safeway/Sobeys/Save on Foods) over the next year with COVID-19, maybe more of those Starbucks close as well.

And it definitely looks like Save on Foods is opening at Kildonan Place, the Save on Foods signature arch entrance is up now. Nothing like the Red River Co-op food stores.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan