HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ good grief. Trying really hard to have a worthwhile discussion here.

Disclaimer to the below - my wife is a teacher!

Teacher's holidays are dictated by the school year. I have never heard anyone in any official capacity complain about that.

The government doesn't "attack" working conditions. They continually change them, depending who is in power and who the education minister is. Unions don't seem to change that fact at all.

I have never heard anyone in any official capacity complain that teachers make too much money. Wages have been frozen for a few years, but the union hasn't seemed able to help teachers out there.
Ill be the first one. Teachers make too much money. Last year the highest paid teacher in Manitoba topped out at just over $100,000. Thats bullshit. Teachers making $100,000 a year in Manitoba when we have the worst scoring students in the country. FUCK THAT. My dad was a teacher. I know how “hard” they work and I’m sorry nobody teaching children anything is worth $100,000 a year.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 3:00 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
Ill be the first one. Teachers make too much money. Last year the highest paid teacher in Manitoba topped out at just over $100,000. Thats bullshit. Teachers making $100,000 a year in Manitoba when we have the worst scoring students in the country. FUCK THAT. My dad was a teacher. I know how “hard” they work and I’m sorry nobody teaching children anything is worth $100,000 a year.
That sounds a bit higher than what I'd expect teachers to max out at. As far as I know, the highest salary is around 85k. I guess a big part of the problem is that there are something like 37 school divisions and overpaid administrators for all. I wouldn't mind if we had 3 school divisions and we paid the money that the superintendents made to teachers.

Your case seems rare. I know a lot of teachers and I'm getting the sense that they're constantly being asked to take on more and more tasks, effectively distracting them from doing the actual teaching.

Mind you, the entire education system in Manitoba is f-ed
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 4:24 PM

The only higher paid teachers in Canada are in Nunavut, I think the average salary is $80,000 a year in Manitoba. I know a buddy’s daughter has been teaching for less than five years and she’s making $75,000 must be fucking nice.

And what are all these extra tasks that are being “dumped” on teachers. Schools have more support staff now than they’ve ever had before. Almost every class has a teaching assistant now. Some of the moms at my work get text messages daily with pictures of their kids painting or playing. If teachers have time to do that, then they obviously have time to do work.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 5:03 PM

$75K does not strike me as some absurdly high salary for teachers considering the qualifications. I would think you'd want teaching to be a reasonably rewarding profession in order to recruit and retain talented people.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 1:39 AM

Quote:
I’m a high school teacher and I make $100k a year. You have no idea what any job is like til you do it yourself. To make such comments because your dad was a teacher is a sign of ignorance. You base over 15 thousand teachers off 1 person? Yes I’m paid well, I also have 3 university degrees. I was also curious last year how many hours a week I actually worked because of all these great “comments” of how over paid we are. I kept track the entire year and not to my surprise it was 50 a week. This included coaching 2 teams, dept/staff meetings, calling/meeting parents, offering extra subject help before/after school, prepping and actual teaching time. I love my job and the kids I teach, especially the challenging ones.

Perhaps if it’s so easy you should jump on board and get the easy money you speak of. When your ready to come give it a shot pm me and you can come try it out for a day. Oh and sorry no ea’s in any of my classes like you mentioned so your on your own. It’s only 4 periods with 28-30 teenagers each. Should be easy for a guy like you right?

Last edited by AccordTR; Feb 9, 2020 at 2:06 AM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 3:10 AM

Yeah let's go with the American model and pay teachers $45k a year, works well.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 5:52 PM
BANNED

Observed three P’sOS walk out of Sleep Centre store with sleep sets at Crossroads yesterday, they were moving quick when they left the store with store employees right behind them, offered the manager my dash cam footage but fortunately employees got the license plate numbers with their phones!

Tough to be a retailer in THIS city!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 6:20 PM

^^^^
Stuff like that happens in every major urban centre in the world. Property crimes and theft have been around for thousands of years, they weren't invented here. Its tough to be a retailer anywhere. Well, maybe not Japan, but their society is rather unique. In short unless you can fix the selfish values that have largely taken over the earth, you'll never 'fix' crime, in Winnipeg or anywhere else.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 3:35 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars65 View Post
^^^^
Stuff like that happens in every major urban centre in the world. Property crimes and theft have been around for thousands of years, they weren't invented here. Its tough to be a retailer anywhere. Well, maybe not Japan, but their society is rather unique. In short unless you can fix the selfish values that have largely taken over the earth, you'll never 'fix' crime, in Winnipeg or anywhere else.
Elephant in the room:

Except that here most of the theft is committed mainly by a certain ethnicity with a sense of entitlement and who feel that they are owed something.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 2:27 PM

I remember a story from years ago about some characters who walked out of a Canadian Tire with a canoe, and then came back for the paddles and life jackets. I recall that the story was run in the news with a humorous slant. I can only imagine how that story would be framed in the media today - the sky is falling, etc. etc.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 2:31 PM

Wait a minute, so people were running off with the mattress in a box type products? Or were they carrying out full on flat mattresses and box springs?!?!

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordTR View Post
I’m a high school teacher and I make $100k a year. You have no idea what any job is like til you do it yourself. To make such comments because your dad was a teacher is a sign of ignorance. You base over 15 thousand teachers off 1 person? Yes I’m paid well, I also have 3 university degrees. I was also curious last year how many hours a week I actually worked because of all these great “comments” of how over paid we are. I kept track the entire year and not to my surprise it was 50 a week. This included coaching 2 teams, dept/staff meetings, calling/meeting parents, offering extra subject help before/after school, prepping and actual teaching time. I love my job and the kids I teach, especially the challenging ones.

Perhaps if it’s so easy you should jump on board and get the easy money you speak of. When your ready to come give it a shot pm me and you can come try it out for a day. Oh and sorry no ea’s in any of my classes like you mentioned so your on your own. It’s only 4 periods with 28-30 teenagers each. Should be easy for a guy like you right?
Ha ha ha. Listen here buddy. Everybody can comment on teachers because everybody has attended a school. Most of my teachers in high school were assholes. They abused students, had their favorites and were for the most part lazy. My dad never worked an 8 hour day. You honestly expect me to believe you work 50 hour work weeks all year long. Give me a break. Fuck, my parents went to school in the 60’s in a one room school house with 8 grades, and you’re complaining about four classes with 30 students. HA HA HA HA HA

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 3:56 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Ha ha ha. Listen here buddy. Everybody can comment on teachers because everybody has attended a school. Most of my teachers in high school were assholes. They abused students, had their favorites and were for the most part lazy. My dad never worked an 8 hour day. You honestly expect me to believe you work 50 hour work weeks all year long. Give me a break. Fuck, my parents went to school in the 60’s in a one room school house with 8 grades, and you’re complaining about four classes with 30 students. HA HA HA HA HA
I get tired of teachers complaining about how "bad" they have it. Teachers get something like 10 weeks of vacation over the school year and have to deal on daily basis with 20-35 students depending on the school and the grade(s) being taught. You want a tough profession- try being a nurse. The first 5 years of my career I didn't even have enough seniority to get summer vacation- I'd have to take vacation in May or October. Want to have Spring Break off to be with your kids?- good luck. That week was the first to go on the seniority ladder. I worked 50% weekends and had to work Christmas or New Years every year (they alternated from year to year). One Christmas we were so short staffed (and due to en error that was made by our management team) I worked 21 shifts with three days off. I basically had Christmas Day off that year and nothing else plus one of my weekends scheduled off.

I worked 8 hour shifts, but it was fairly common to have something happen right before shift change and I would often be working an additional hour or so just to catch up on paper work or to make sure I finished my work before I could go home. And I'm a psych nurse. I feel even more for the ER nurses and those in long-term care. Long hours, often under appreciated and a system that was in complete chaos (it is getting better now). Add in a crystal meth crisis and you have a recipe for disaster. Complete burnout.

I realize I picked this profession and I don't regret it now, but there were times I seriously considered leaving and going into an entirely different profession. For as tough as many people think they have in their jobs, just remember what nurses do. I never realized how tough a job it is mentally and physically until I entered the profession. And they weren't kidding when they say "nurses eat their young." It is not easy to be a nurse these days.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 4:12 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
I get tired of teachers complaining about how "bad" they have it. Teachers get something like 10 weeks of vacation over the school year and have to deal on daily basis with 20-35 students depending on the school and the grade(s) being taught. You want a tough profession- try being a nurse. The first 5 years of my career I didn't even have enough seniority to get summer vacation- I'd have to take vacation in May or October. Want to have Spring Break off to be with your kids?- good luck. That week was the first to go on the seniority ladder. I worked 50% weekends and had to work Christmas or New Years every year (they alternated from year to year). One Christmas we were so short staffed (and due to en error that was made by our management team) I worked 21 shifts with three days off. I basically had Christmas Day off that year and nothing else plus one of my weekends scheduled off.

I worked 8 hour shifts, but it was fairly common to have something happen right before shift change and I would often be working an additional hour or so just to catch up on paper work or to make sure I finished my work before I could go home. And I'm a psych nurse. I feel even more for the ER nurses and those in long-term care. Long hours, often under appreciated and a system that was in complete chaos (it is getting better now). Add in a crystal meth crisis and you have a recipe for disaster. Complete burnout.

I realize I picked this profession and I don't regret it now, but there were times I seriously considered leaving and going into an entirely different profession. For as tough as many people think they have in their jobs, just remember what nurses do. I never realized how tough a job it is mentally and physically until I entered the profession. And they weren't kidding when they say "nurses eat their young." It is not easy to be a nurse these days.
I lied. I think paramedics may have it even tougher. Some of the stuff they walk into would give most of us PTSD and for about 2/3 of what nurses make.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 4:23 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post

Being married to a teacher, I sometimes rib my wife about work complaints and usually bring up the holidays.

The retort is always the same, and it is pretty effective. We, everybody, know exactly how many days of holidays that teachers get, and what their job consists of - and most of us said "cool" and went out and got some other type of job that gives us 2 to 4 weeks throughout the year. You wanted 10 weeks of holidays, and you think teachers have it easy? Why aren't you a teacher then?

In my humble opinion, teachers are, at the very least as important (if not more so) than their overpaid colleagues in the WPS, WFD and Paramedics. They are the people we entrust our kids to, and have probably the most daily responsibility in preparing our society for the future. It is absolutely the LAST profession you want to short change, because you want to attract quality people to teach the kids.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 4:31 PM

My uncle's been the teacher union head a few times now. Teacher for life. His wife, my aunt, now retired teacher. His sister, my aunt, deputy minister of education, teacher for life now at RRC in management.

Believe me they definitely enjoy the summer holidays. During the school year, they are always marking papers, prepping lessons, etc. Go for Sunday diner with the family, they need to leave early to finish papers. Or were doing papers all morning, etc.

If you want a 9-5, don't be a teacher. There's pros and cons to all of it. And yes teachers are super important. Not even just teachers, but the education system in general. My aunt was in charge of the curriculum for a long time. They have schools in China that they partner with. There's a whole ton of stuff going on.

Anyways back to retail. Stealing mattresses ffs. I'd bet those license plates they got were stolen. Can't be that stupid to use your own plate. Or even the vehicle itself stolen. Recommendation for anyone getting plates. Try to get a photo of the VIN in that situation. Sounds like they were in the parking lot while the thugs were loading up. Go to the front and get the VIN. Better than getting the plate. Of course safety first.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
In my humble opinion, teachers are, at the very least as important (if not more so) than their overpaid colleagues in the WPS, WFD and Paramedics. They are the people we entrust our kids to, and have probably the most daily responsibility in preparing our society for the future. It is absolutely the LAST profession you want to short change, because you want to attract quality people to teach the kids.
I would agree with this sentiment.

I gripe about the cops but even there my beef is not with their salaries, I consider those to be fair... I find the pensionable overtime to be irritating because their pensions are already generous enough, and the copious amounts of unlimited overtime with pension earnings on top of that are clearly straining the WPS budget.

Beyond that I think the emergency services salaries are fair. I know guys who do that kind of work and it is not exaggerating to say that it has really changed them. It's not an easy line of work.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 4:44 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Teachers are no different that another profession.

Some teachers work the absolute minimum, have had the same curriculum for years and coast.

Some teachers work crazy hours.

Depends on the person.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 4:57 PM

^ I thought there were requirements to do a certain number of extracurriculars? I recall some of my high school teachers especially spending long hours after class coaching sports, directing drama or planning various types of other events. I'm not sure if elementary school is that demanding in terms of the number of hours, but I would think the act of teaching kids at that level is very hands on and probably pretty draining.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 5:00 PM
the first stamp is free

^ yes there are minimums I think.

And yes, I personally think elementary school age kids would be the hardest in terms of daily effort during school. I could never do that job.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan