Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 2:50 AM

There is a lot more activity on City-Data.com

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 5:06 PM

https://www.al.com/news/2019/07/plan...le-unique.html

It would be cool if this was a little closer to downtown proper

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 8:25 PM
Burming Hammer

why would you want a "drive through only" restaurant in downtown?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 12:56 AM

New, nine story hotel coming to down Huntsville. Hoping to see an attractive building emerge.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVTiger View Post
That lot (corner Monroe/Clinton) is owned by a hotel development company.
It is a very small lot along with a small section over the parking garage owned by the city. Would think any hotel would need to be at least 8-10 floors and a substantial modification to that side of the parking deck.
Hampton Inn and Suites is planning a hotel downtown, that may be the location. When construction will start is not known at this time but spring summer could be possible.

While Hampton is not known foe architectural wonders they can be a little interesting.
Expect something like this maybe, this would be looking east with Clinton on the left and Monroe in the front.
This is all conjecture at this point, this image is from the hotel in Memphis.
Only thing is this is somewhat dated and there really would need to be a skywalk connected to the VBC.
When construction starts on the VBC next month will be interesting to see if they design for a future skywalk.
How about that!!! A chain hotel going thru the expense of adding balconies! I make it a rule, I never stay in any hotel/motel without a balcony, so my choices are limited when traveling. 2nd to that, a rooftop deck!

Got spoiled rotten on my trips to Central/South America as even the 1 and 2 star motels add balconies, and many provide a rooftop deck for a 360 degree views of the city.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
why would you want a "drive through only" restaurant in downtown?
Draws more people downtown.. in their car or not..

Last edited by downtownhsvguy; Aug 8, 2019 at 8:40 PM.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2019, 7:52 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Minke F**k... just got back from Huntsville, only visitied the Mid City "District". Last time I was in Huntsville was for the birth of my niece 2 years ago. Things have... changed...

Btw, I do not like how Mid City is developing. It seemed like it was going to be a Live/Work/Play paradise... but all I saw was a massive amount of parking and a stagnant body of water. I grew up in North Alabama, so I desperately wanted Mid City to be this beautiful, walkable, vegetated piece of land that deserved to replace Madison Square. Gotta say, the amount of surface parking is shameful...

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpawnOfVulcan View Post
Minke F**k... just got back from Huntsville, only visitied the Mid City "District". Last time I was in Huntsville was for the birth of my niece 2 years ago. Things have... changed...

Btw, I do not like how Mid City is developing. It seemed like it was going to be a Live/Work/Play paradise... but all I saw was a massive amount of parking and a stagnant body of water. I grew up in North Alabama, so I desperately wanted Mid City to be this beautiful, walkable, vegetated piece of land that deserved to replace Madison Square. Gotta say, the amount of surface parking is shameful...
I still have high hopes for MidCity. I don't love the strip mall-esque atmosphere of the front, but I think the more urban/walkable parts are just about to get off the ground.

I agree with the park, it is not at all useful or good looking. I'm hoping this changes once they clear the movie theatre and expand the water/park to the current theatre site.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 12:42 AM

Anything happening in Huntsville ?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2023, 5:49 AM

Not sure if this was posted but Developer details plan to build Huntsville’s tallest building, connect to ‘skybridge’ (article is from 2022)

Quote:
It seems like a dream at this point, to build a building in Huntsville at least twice as tall as any other.

It exists only in the imagination of Aaron Mance and in some eye-catching renderings designed to make the dream easier for others to see.

But the dream is more a vision than a fantasy.

“I do believe I’ll build the building,” said Mance, the owner of Hyde Homes and a Huntsville-area real estate developer.

Mance also described the project as a “pie in the sky idea” but he considers his real estate successes no less unlikely. So “pie in the sky” ideas don’t make him flinch.

The details: Mance is pitching a 22-floor building on Governors Drive near Memorial Parkway – the site of Hyde Homes office at 2101 Governors Drive and an intriguing location near downtown and the Huntsville Hospital medical district. Huntsville’s tallest building is the 11-floor Regions Bank building at Clinton Avenue and Church Street.

Mance wants the building to be connected to the skybridge – the pedestrian walkway over the parkway the city is planning to break ground on next year.

At the top, Mance’s vision goes, is a steakhouse and a swimming pool. The building’s tenants could be anyone – luxury condominiums, a hotel, office space. The market, Mance said, will determine such things.

“My plan for this building is to be the spotlight of Huntsville,” Mance said.

Mance estimates it will cost $150 million to build it and he’s looking for financial partners to join the project. In fact, he said, there is already interest from potential investors, Mance said.

As Mance makes his case for the building, it’s not difficult to see advantages. He owns the land for the building and it sits in a federally-designated “opportunity zone” – which provides tax breaks to spur economic activity.

The site also sits on a point of Pinhook Creek – a drainage area that winds through Huntsville, parts of which are planned for refurbishment in the project that will include the skybridge. The site is also across the street from Butler Terrace, the former public housing community that the city plans to redevelop. And it’s a mile east of Campus 805 – a popular entertainment area.

And there is, of course, the skybridge. That would provide a pedestrian connection to the medical district as well as the Von Braun Center, the under-construction Constellation development and the soon-to-break-ground Front Row development along Clinton Avenue. And bolster what city officials already envision as a sparkling centerpiece for the Rocket City.

The project could change, Mance said. A 22-story building could become 15, depending on costs and investors and the economy. Regardless, Mance’s vision is the build Huntsville’s tallest building and make a substantial addition to the city’s modest skyline – which lacks the high-rise towers seen in Birmingham, Mobile and Montgomery despite now being Alabama’s largest city.

“I’m a deal maker, man,” Mance said. “Whatever makes the deal work. That’s what I do. You know, if I’ve got to, if I don’t sell but 10 floors and I’ve got to come up with the other 10, well, I’ll find it.”

Mance said he has the resources to make the building a reality.

“I have never put a deal together this big,” Mance said. “But I’m currently working on a bunch of deals that are above $50 million. So I do this kind of stuff, not to this scale. Obviously, it’ll take three or four years to build this thing.”

With a ballpark estimate of $150 million to build it, Mance said if the down payment was, say, 20%, that would be $30 million.

“I have that,” he said. “So we’re looking for additional investors to reduce my risk so I don’t have all of my eggs in one basket. So the building is real. Now, whether it’s 22 stories, or 14, or 18, has yet to be decided.”

Either way, Mance said, he believes the building will be built.

“This is a dream of mine,” he said. “The way I work, I put the vision down on paper. And it may take 10-15 years but it usually comes to fruition as long as you work toward it.”

Last edited by vetteking; Jul 27, 2023 at 6:08 AM.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2023, 12:16 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Wow, that's a pretty nice proposal. I hope it hasn't died.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Jul 28, 2023, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpawnOfVulcan View Post
Wow, that's a pretty nice proposal. I hope it hasn't died.
I agree but I haven't seen much on it. Ima search some more and see

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 4:21 AM

Looks like they scrapped the tower and now only going forward with the Sky bridge
Quote:
We Outside Huntsville
·
The sky bridge is set to start construction in August! Said to be completed by summer of 2027.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...00090101838070

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast