HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jun 2, 2019, 2:53 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport

This year, we've seen A LOT of activity and news regaurding Birmingham's airport. So, I finally decided that it was worth creating a thread for it.

Biggest news:

Via Airlines (which had planned to use BHM as a focus city) finally pulled out when the airline had diffuculties finding pilots... I regard this whole issue as an enormous lack of foresight and planning. Via should have anticipated the needs and requirements necessary to run an airline. I never fully believed that Via would be totally successful, but I remained hopeful. Sadly, they met an end that was entirely expected.

In more positive news, Southwest will begin a SEASONAL route between Shuttlesworth and Fort Lauderdale. I don't think I need to do the math here, but I'm going to assume that this season's route will more than make up for the traffic that Via was expected to bring...

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Last edited by SpawnOfVulcan; Jun 3, 2019 at 1:08 AM. Reason: typos

Old Posted Jun 2, 2019, 1:13 PM

By Erin Edgemon eedgemon@al.com
Aviation company Stewart Industries International is expanding its operation to Birmingham and creating at least 200 new jobs.
Stewart Industries International has leased the former Kaiser Aircraft facility adjacent to Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport to enhance logistical support to its existing customers and to provide convenient maintenance support to the east coast-based aviation industry, the company said.
This is an expansion of the work Stewart Industries is performing for Delta Airlines, American Airlines and other aircraft leasing firms and airline operators at its Roswell, New Mexico FAA Repair facility.
Other growth plans include maintenance support to companies associated with aircraft leasing and air cargo freight.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 1:07 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamablazer View Post
Aviation company Stewart Industries International is expanding its operation to Birmingham and creating at least 200 new jobs.
Stewart Industries International has leased the former Kaiser Aircraft facility adjacent to Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport to enhance logistical support to its existing customers and to provide convenient maintenance support to the east coast-based aviation industry, the company said.
This is an expansion of the work Stewart Industries is performing for Delta Airlines, American Airlines and other aircraft leasing firms and airline operators at its Roswell, New Mexico FAA Repair facility.
Other growth plans include maintenance support to companies associated with aircraft leasing and air cargo freight.
They're certainly getting away with a steal. The former Alabama Aircraft hangars are still in great shape and have so much more room for maintenance than many other airports similar in size to Shuttlesworth.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 8:21 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamablazer View Post
I dunno if they've already expanded into the air cargo freight business at BHM, but I've seen multiple cargo jets taking off on my drives home. Got to see a 747 just the other day

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast