HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 7:45 PM

Calgary nightclubs/ live music venues from 1990's and later

I am researching some of the live music venues from the 1990's and beyond in Calgary. Would appreciate any information on who played where and when.
Places I remember going:
Republik, Sparky's, Silver Dollar Action Centre, Night gallery as well as the university and colleges. If you have any info, I would appreciate it.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 8:19 PM

The Back Alley!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 9:02 PM
power to the people!

- Westward Club was around 'til about '94. Nirvana played there in '89.
- Studio A-Go-Go (probably more 80s though). Saw SNFU there (or was it at Skate Jungle?). Library is now being built where it once stood.
- Warehouse/Underground. I can't even remember who played in the underground because we would have one $3 jug too many (early 90s). Last show I saw at the Warehouse was The Hold Steady in '08.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 9:40 PM
BANNED

The Bank was quite notable. Not a regular live music place, but was still host to a number of performers. Among the legendary nightclubs in Calgary history for certain.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 11:09 PM

I wouldn't call it Legendary. It was a little unique, but nowhere near the status of somewhere like The Nightgallery, Republic or hell, even Coconut Joe's.

Last edited by Fuzz; Jan 9, 2016 at 11:25 PM.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2016, 4:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I wouldn't call it Legendary. It was a little unique, but nowhere near the status of somewhere like The Nightgallery, Republic or hell, even Coconut Joe's.
I suppose it depended on which crowd you fit into. The Bank was slightly more upscale and certainly more elegant. It also didn't allow in anyone under 21, so fewer snot-nosed kids. There were certainly way fewer prostitutes than some of the places you've listed.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2016, 4:48 PM

Tequila on 17th, Mynt (I think it was on 9th Avenue? I can't remember), Coyotes

Old Posted Jan 10, 2016, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
I suppose it depended on which crowd you fit into. The Bank was slightly more upscale and certainly more elegant. It also didn't allow in anyone under 21, so fewer snot-nosed kids. There were certainly way fewer prostitutes than some of the places you've listed.
Wow. To think that I never caught on to the degree of prostitution going on at the Republik. Next you're going to tell me that 10 Foot Henry's was but a front for an Opium Den.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2016, 11:15 PM

What exactly are you looking for? Regular band/DJ nights, or only special events? I mean, I can tell you who played The Night Gallery every sunday night, but I'd guess you already know that... I can give you a bit more info for other events if you care about DJ's.

I've got a ticket stub in front of me for "Love Inc and Chris Sheppard sept 28 1998" at Cowboys.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 4:18 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
What exactly are you looking for? Regular band/DJ nights, or only special events? I mean, I can tell you who played The Night Gallery every sunday night, but I'd guess you already know that... I can give you a bit more info for other events if you care about DJ's.

I've got a ticket stub in front of me for "Love Inc and Chris Sheppard sept 28 1998" at Cowboys.
You've dialed 911 if you're lookin' for the 411 on the often imitated never duplicated one and you find me right here on your nationally syndicated dance music radio show.

Last edited by DizzyEdge; Jan 11, 2016 at 4:40 PM.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 5:43 PM

Java Sharks (I think?) on 17th next to the Shell station.

Metro had a side room where local bands would play. The Castle on first.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 5:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurph View Post
Wow. To think that I never caught on to the degree of prostitution going on at the Republik. Next you're going to tell me that 10 Foot Henry's was but a front for an Opium Den.
In addition to less prostitution (certainly in comparison to short-lived dives like Coconut Joe's), a more elegant facility and client, The Bank was also in operation for longer than most other places, a measure of its relative success. I'd estimate it was in place pushing 20 years under the same name and operation. Loved their indoor fireworks for new years - and these were legit, not like those at the other places.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
In addition to less prostitution (certainly in comparison to short-lived dives like Coconut Joe's), a more elegant facility and client, The Bank was also in operation for longer than most other places, a measure of its relative success. I'd estimate it was in place pushing 20 years under the same name and operation. Loved their indoor fireworks for new years - and these were legit, not like those at the other places.
Calgary's hottest club is Bank.

Club promoter D-bag Chopra has gone all out and finally answers the question 'sup?'

This place has everything: Elegant facilities, clients, less prostitutes, botanist Richard Buxton, retired steam engine conductors, a golden turkey, indoor fireworks...

Indoor fireworks? It's that thing where a midget with sparklers jumps on a trampoline at midnight.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 9:56 PM

My favourite club in the city from the 90's until the mid 00's was the Embassy. Too bad it became a total bar star type place when it was changed to Mynt. Now it's the atrium of EAP lol.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 10:10 PM

Ya, Embassy was fantastic, apart from that goddamn stairwell. So narrow. The rooftop patio was awesome when it was open.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 10:14 PM

Yeah, I had some great times at the Embassy as well. It was a place that managed to get a nice cross-section of different people, yet somehow minimized the d-bags.

The Night Gallery and Underground where always on the stop as well.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateWhore View Post
Yeah, I had some great times at the Embassy as well. It was a place that managed to get a nice cross-section of different people, yet somehow minimized the d-bags.
Kind of like the Hi-Fi does today.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2019, 2:01 AM

Looking for a song from early 90s

I've been racking my brain for years now... at the Rebublik there was an alternative dance song that sounded German that had only a few lyrics like "dee sa coo shay.... das das das das."

If anybody remembers dancing to this song please let me know what the heck it was called. It was so good!!!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2019, 4:15 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookingforasong View Post
I've been racking my brain for years now... at the Rebublik there was an alternative dance song that sounded German that had only a few lyrics like "dee sa coo shay.... das das das das."

If anybody remembers dancing to this song please let me know what the heck it was called. It was so good!!!
Video Link

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 1:53 AM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
The Back Alley!

You mean Denny Andrews American Bar.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation