HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 12:18 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Not sure if you care, but might be careful with posting the front of your place.
Good call. I should've posted a pic of the back of our building because all Chicago 3-flats are more or less indistinguishable from the alley

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
I'm sure having the finished basement is a major plus.
It is. It nearly doubles our living space from 1,300 SF to 2,300 SF, and gives us some creature comforts you don't typically find in city apartments like a dedicated laundry room and storage room. The only caveat is that our basement bedroom is pretty damn dark, with only one small window for natural light. The flipside is that our basement family room is extremely bright for a basement room because it has 10 windows along the front and the basement isn't terribly deep in the ground, putting the sill height at a more normal 40" compared to most Chicago basements. It also gives us a staircase inside our unit which helps it feel more like a SFH to me. And little kids LOVE playing on stairs; it's like another play space for them.

Last edited by Steely Dan; May 5, 2020 at 1:36 AM.

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 12:33 AM
them bones

I've made almost a figure 8 (with Phoenix at the crossroads) and am within 100 miles.

Born in Lancaster, CA (high desert shithole)
Lived in various cities in Arizona from 6mo-10
Then bounced from Santa Barbara to Tulsa to SE Michigan back to Tempe then Sacramento then back to Santa Barbara 17 years ago (where we have finally settled about 30 miles away in Ventura but my company is in SB).

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 1:34 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Kinda looks like stereotypical Balconville in Montréal.

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 2:30 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Kinda looks like stereotypical Balconville in Montréal.
Possibly, I've never been to Montreal (I desperately need to rectify that one of these decades), but I've heard the 3-flat/triplex comparison made many times before on this forum.

That said, you KNOW you're in Chicago on my back porch when the el train comes roaring down the alley

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 2:51 AM
The New Republic

I grew up in Clayton Park, in Halifax. I won't show my house but a few a couple streets over. As much as suburbia gets criticized (rightly in most cases), there was something very comforting about the suburb I grew up in. They weren't palaces but lots of them were really funky inside: 1970s fabulousness. I have very fond memories of it:

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 2:22 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Nope. Born in Montreal. Lived in Montreal-->Saint Laurent-->Preville-->St. Lambert (the three latter suburbs of Montreal)-->Edmonton-->Kirkland (Montreal suburb)-->Kelowna (BC)-->Vancouver-->Richmond (BC)-->Kirkland-->Montreal-->London (Ontario)-->Osoyoos (BC)-->London-->London/Marseille-->London.

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 3:58 PM

No. I was born in Columbus, Georgia. I now live in New York City. I may at some point move to Atlanta to be closer to family.

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 4:15 PM

Geographically Yes. Politically No !

I was born and raised in former West-Berlin, an enclave of Western Germany. Lived in Auckland, New Zealand for 6 months and in Madrid, Spain for 6 months too.
Today, I live in reunified Berlin. In an area that was part of the capital of Eastern Germany: Berlin (East).

Both, the political status of former West-Berlin and East-Berlin ceased to exist after 1990. Its complicated isn't it ?

Last edited by Lear; May 5, 2020 at 7:01 PM.

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 7:16 PM

Sorta. I was born in the Ukraine but moved out at 3. Most of my years have been spent in Montreal.

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 7:59 PM

I was born in Akron, moved to Pittsburgh, then to Detroit, and to Los Angeles.I finally settled in Chicago in 2001,here I plan to remain until the end...

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 8:00 PM

No. Born in Edmonton, Alberta when my dad had 4 month to go on a PhD in Mechanical Engineering. Moved to Seattle as soon as he finished.

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 8:05 PM

Sort of--I grew up in the suburbs and moved to the city 15 years ago. On the one hand, I don't think I can be counted among the people who left their hometowns for greener pastures. For all intents and purposes, I'm from "here", although the municipality is different. The local culture is more or less the same throughout much of Chicagoland, and my childhood home is relatively short drive/train ride away.

On the other hand, I don't live in my literal hometown...

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 9:03 PM

Include me in the "sort of" category as well. Born in Virginia, moved to Wyoming, moved to one city in South Florida in 2nd grade, another city later on, moved to Boston at 18, NYC at 22, then 3 different cities around South Florida.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 4:31 AM
Mooderator

Nope. Born in rural MB, have been living in Quebec since December 2001.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 10:40 AM
Tokyo and Paris fan

I was born in Bourges, a small city in Central France.
I left this city when I was ten (during that time, I also stayed almost a year in Chatellerault in West Central France but I was less than 2 and I don't have any memories of it).

I was raised between Bourges (until 10), Saint-Denis in Réunion Island (10-12) and Paris (12 and afterward).

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 12:18 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I was born in a small town in Canada's Maritime provinces. I moved several times for my dad's job as a kid.

I've lived in five of Canada's six easternmost provinces (all except Newfoundland) over five decades.

I've lived in or near (within 50 km) Canada's capital city Ottawa on three separate stints during that time.

My most recent one has lasted a couple of decades.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 1:50 PM

Where did you live in P.E.I.?

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 1:56 PM
sick transit, gloria

Nope. Born and grew up in Calgary, and currently live in Toronto. Made a few pit stops along the way but at this point I've officially spent more than half my life in Ontario, and all but a year of adulthood. That year being split up in a few places over the past while.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 2:19 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Where did you live in P.E.I.?
The central part of the province (Queens County). Within easy striking distance of Charlottetown. Well, every place there is though...

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 2:09 AM

Edmonton->Seattle->Lloydminster, Alberta->Calgary->Dallas->Calgary->Calgary/Sylvan Lake, Alberta->London, ON/Toronto->Edmonton->Vancouver->Edmonton->Vancouver->Calgary->Seattle->Hong Kong->Perth->Seattle/Calgary->Perth/Singapore

The slashed locations are splitting my time between two locations. I left out the 4 month student exchange I did to Ottawa in Grade 10, the 8 months I spent in Montreal during my second graduate degree (joint research between UdeM and UoA), the 4 months I spent in Ottawa working as a management consultant, the 6 months I spent traveling solo in Australia, NZ and SE Asia, and the 6 months I spent traveling solo in Africa.

Next move will likely be to Maui / Utah. My significant other bought an almost too perfect piece of land in Big Cottonwood Canyon years ago (can traverse over to Solitude on skis, can mountain bike over Guardsman to Park City in the summer), I bought a house in Kihei a few days ago. Likely a few years before we move.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions