HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
34th is undoubtedly a major crosstown artery, and home to the Macy's flagship store, but I'm not sure how popular / well-known it is to those outside of NYC.

Definitely not more popular than Fifth Ave. or Madison Ave., IMO, as both seem to be familiar to people I know beyond the tri-state.
One of the most famous Christmas movies of all time is named for it. It is definitely well known.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 8:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
One of the most famous Christmas movies of all time is named for it. It is definitely well known.
How silly of me to question 34th Street's popularity beyond NYC when a film released in 1947 mentioned it in its title. I stand corrected - thank you for stating what should have been obvious to me.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 8:09 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

34th St. is known to some degree because of the movie and Macy's, but it's not even close to Fifth Avenue in renown IMO.

42nd St. and Madison Ave. are also more prominent than 34th St. I'd say.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 8:37 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I don't live in Montreal but I know it well and it's close enough.

The unchallenged number one street is Sainte-Catherine.

Honourable mentions go to Saint-Denis, Saint-Laurent and Sherbrooke.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 8:51 PM

For Denver, undoubtedly Colfax Ave.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 9:18 PM

Quote:
It might be more interesting to name New York's by borough:

Manhattan - 1st place: Broadway. 2nd place: 42nd St. Third place: 34th St. 4th place: Fifth Avenue. Honorable mentions: Park Avenue, Madison Avenue
I think 34th St is probably more in the honorable mention category -- and maybe not even. To me, Fifth Ave and Park Ave are much more well known and prominent thoroughfares. Madison Ave probably is too.

I'm pretty sure it would come down pretty far on the list if you surveyed people to name famous NYC streets.

It seems that the landmarks/attractions on 34th or in the vicinity of it are much more well-known than the street itself... and people don't identify the street with those attractions, from what I can tell (i.e., Empire State Bldg, Macy's, Penn Station, MSG). The most vibrant section of 34th is really just the area where it intersects with Broadway/6th Ave and 7th Ave. Additionally, east of Madison, it becomes rather sleepy for Manhattan standards.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 9:18 PM

Quote:
It might be more interesting to name New York's by borough:

Manhattan - 1st place: Broadway. 2nd place: 42nd St. Third place: 34th St. 4th place: Fifth Avenue. Honorable mentions: Park Avenue, Madison Avenue

Brooklyn - Flatbush Avenue. Other well known streets/avenues: Bedford Avenue, Atlantic Avenue, Eastern Parkway, Fulton Street.

Queens - Queens Blvd. Runners up: Main Street (Flushing), Northern Blvd, Roosevelt Avenue, Steinway Street, Astoria Blvd

The Bronx - Grand Concourse. 2nd place: Fordham Rd. Noteworthy mention: E 161st (Yankee Stadium)

Staten Island - Staten Island Expressway
Good list! Agreed with it!

The OP asked most well-known or busiest. 34th street may not be as well known as Fifth Ave or Madison, but it's certainly much busier (in terms of density/volume of pedestrians and vehicular traffic) with Herald Sq and Penn St. If you walk on 34th from the Empire State Building to 8th Ave from 5-8pm the crush of humanity moving like a river is dizzying (not even an exaggeration, really). So it may not the most well known or the busiest, but it's near the top of the list (top 5 or 10) of both.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscaper View Post
If you walk on 34th from the Empire State Building to 8th Ave from 5-pm the crush of humanity moving like a river is dizzying (not even an exaggeration, really).
Yeah, but that's like a 2 blocks.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 9:28 PM

Well from avenue to avenue is pretty long (several north-to-south streets worth). Broadway is also only busy for a few blocks worth also. But I still consider it the busiest because of those few blocks

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 9:33 PM

42nd street is certainly more well known than 34th but, while still crazy busy, doesn't feel as dizzying along its relatively short length.

If the OP is asking for streets that satisfy both parameters, 34th st is plenty valid IMO. Separate lists that only take into account one of the parameters are also valid.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 9:34 PM

^ Yeah, 34th is busy in that area because that's where Penn Station is and where the nexus of 6th/Broadway and 7th are.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 9:39 PM

yes, agreed! and said so a few posts up

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 9:43 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

ohio's prime drags

3 C's

cle - euclid ave
cols - high st
cinci - vine st

red-headed step sisters

toledo - monroe st
dayton - main st
akron - market st

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
I think 34th St is probably more in the honorable mention category -- and maybe not even. To me, Fifth Ave and Park Ave are much more well known and prominent thoroughfares. Madison Ave probably is too.

I'm pretty sure it would come down pretty far on the list if you surveyed people to name famous NYC streets.

It seems that the landmarks/attractions on 34th or in the vicinity of it are much more well-known than the street itself... and people don't identify the street with those attractions, from what I can tell (i.e., Empire State Bldg, Macy's, Penn Station, MSG). The most vibrant section of 34th is really just the area where it intersects with Broadway/6th Ave and 7th Ave. Additionally, east of Madison, it becomes rather sleepy for Manhattan standards.
34th St is far more of a tourist mecca than Park Ave or Madison Ave. Those places might be known in pop culture due to their association with industry and capitalism, but they draw far fewer tourists compared to 34th St. Fifth Avenue is more of a tourist destination, but still somewhat behind 34th St. I would even place 59th Street ahead of Park and Madison Aves.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 10:05 PM

Quote:
34th St is far more of a tourist mecca than Park Ave or Madison Ave. Those places might be known in pop culture due to their association with industry and capitalism, but they draw far fewer tourists compared to 34th St. Fifth Avenue is more of a tourist destination, but still somewhat behind 34th St. I would even place 59th Street ahead of Park and Madison Aves.
Agreed. But 34th Street is not well-known. And it's only busy on a very short segment of its length.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 10:19 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

why are we even talking about 34st?

for ny 34st is number five at best.

broadway, fifth ave, madison and wall all rank above it in common knowledge of off the top of your head major ny streets for both new yorkers and non-new yorkers alike.

34st is in a battle with 42nd st for fifth place. and one two five and park ave are tapping their fingers on the table. these are all out of the money though.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Agreed. But 34th Street is not well-known. And it's only busy on a very short segment of its length.
It's well known to anyone who has ever visited the city. If you've ever been to NYC, you've planted a foot on 34th St. Park Avenue is like a sleepy village compared to it.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
why are we even talking about 34st?

for ny 34st is number five at best.

broadway, fifth ave, madison and wall all rank above it in common knowledge of off the top of your head major ny streets for both new yorkers and non-new yorkers alike.

34st is in a battle with 42nd st for fifth place. and one two five is tapping its fingers on the table. these are all out of the money though.
Well the question is "your town's most well known or busiest street". I find it hard to believe that there are people who visit New York and walk away thinking that Park Avenue is very relevant. And for New Yorkers, 34th and 42nd are obviously prominent since nearly every subway line in the city stops at those two streets.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 10:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
34th St. is known to some degree because of the movie and Macy's, but it's not even close to Fifth Avenue in renown IMO.

42nd St. and Madison Ave. are also more prominent than 34th St. I'd say.
Definitely.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 10:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
I don't disagree, but Fifth Avenue is right up there, with Madison and Park not far behind.
I stand by this ^. Broadway, Fifth Ave, Madison and Park are, IMO, the most popular / well known streets in NYC based on external NYC perception.

Broadway: speaks for itself.

Fifth Ave: Saks "Fifth Ave", a globally-recognized luxury retailer. Luxury shopping on the ave. itself for miles, only rodeo drive in LA is comparable.

Madison Ave: the mere mention of the street alone alludes to the US advertising industry.

42nd St, IMO, gets honorable mention.

A film was released in 1947 that mentioned 34th street in its title, and it's home to the flagship Macy's. great. But I doubt that someone in Topeka, KS knows that the ESB is located on it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions