HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

1000M in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 11:47 PM

^
I don't want to take this thread too off topic but there's more to the Union Station redevelopment and how we ended with the current design. I believe Amtrak was looking to cash in on the land surrounding US and Rahm got behind the idea early on and pushed it through.

Around this time Sterling Bey came out with their vision (cheese grader tower) to replace the huge Amtrak garage. Soon after, an RFP went out for a team (architect/developer/equity) to lead the redevelopment of the Union Station. IIRC, one team included Jeanne Gang (don't recall the developer she partnered with), Sterling Bey/Skidmore, and Riverside Investment & Development partnering with Goettsch as they always do.

I remember reading Riverside won the competition due to their track record and equity partners which would guarantee the protect came to fruition which Rahm really wanted. Unfortunately, I believe Sterling Bey was just starting to become a big deal but wasn't there yet. Otherwise they might have won the competition and we could have ended up with the cheese grader Supertall. Btw, there was a similar (but smaller) cheese grader proposal for one of the parking lots on west Monroe which I liked even better design wise.

As for This proposal (1000M) I didn't care much for the original design either. Although it was taller, the base really bugged me, even more so than the base of the current tower. I'm still sad about Park Michigan though and think that was another great signature tower lost to the Great Recession.

Old Posted May 11, 2020, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Forever View Post
^
I don't want to take this thread too off topic but there's more to the Union Station redevelopment and how we ended with the current design. I believe Amtrak was looking to cash in on the land surrounding US and Rahm got behind the idea early on and pushed it through.

Around this time Sterling Bey came out with their vision (cheese grader tower) to replace the huge Amtrak garage. Soon after, an RFP went out for a team (architect/developer/equity) to lead the redevelopment of the Union Station. IIRC, one team included Jeanne Gang (don't recall the developer she partnered with), Sterling Bey/Skidmore, and Riverside Investment & Development partnering with Goettsch as they always do.

I remember reading Riverside won the competition due to their track record and equity partners which would guarantee the protect came to fruition which Rahm really wanted. Unfortunately, I believe Sterling Bey was just starting to become a big deal but wasn't there yet. Otherwise they might have won the competition and we could have ended up with the cheese grader Supertall. Btw, there was a similar (but smaller) cheese grader proposal for one of the parking lots on west Monroe which I liked even better design wise.

As for This proposal (1000M) I didn't care much for the original design either. Although it was taller, the base really bugged me, even more so than the base of the current tower. I'm still sad about Park Michigan though and think that was another great signature tower lost to the Great Recession.
Do you have any pics of the other cheese grater design? And what's the story with Park Michigan? I've never heard anything about that building.

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 1:01 AM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysoar View Post
I don't have time or space to mention all the plans that have been changed or altered by powerful alderman and leadership in high places
But this is not one of them. In fact, there are very, very few examples of that downtown.

The mere existence of a rendering does not indicate that the developer thinks it will be profitable, that the engineering consultant thinks it will pass wind tunnel tests (that's one of the things that doomed the 830 proposal), or even that the architects are satisfied with the form.

1000M was approved exactly as it was presented to the alderman (Will Burns, on his way out the door, couldn't even be bothered to show up at the public meeting) and to the Landmarks Commission.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 4:26 PM

Staying at home

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 6:58 PM
DENNAB

Was the crane dismantled? Or was it never assembled in the first place?

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 7:11 PM

^It was never assembled. The job was put on hold the day before they were supposed to erect the tower crane.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 7:29 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombardier View Post
^It was never assembled. The job was put on hold the day before they were supposed to erect the tower crane.
Thanks, that seems like a bad omen

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 8:24 PM

You could also look at as they haven't removed the part of the crane that's there.

IDK, feels like things are loosening up a liiiitle bit. Maybe we'll know something by the end of the month.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 9:07 PM
Team Alinghi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawk66 View Post
You could also look at as they haven't removed the part of the crane that's there.
Yeah but the same goes for the Bentham, and that crane hasn't lifted so much as a 2x4 in five months.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 2:52 AM

This is a cute update: https://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/...the-best-ever/

Quote:
Sawyer’s mom dropped a dime to the developers of what will eventually be a 74-story residential tower at 1000 South Michigan Avenue, and that message got passed on to McHugh Construction, which hung a 12-foot-tall “Happy Birthday Sawyer” banner from the roof of a nearby building so he could see it. McHugh also sent over a hardhat and an orange safety vest.
Now they have to finish it, right? Otherwise it will break this 7 year old's heart

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Yeah but the same goes for the Bentham, and that crane hasn't lifted so much as a 2x4 in five months.
Bentham is a more unique situation. Half of the superstructure was already existing with a stop work order in place before the pandemic. They didn't have the option to just hold off on erecting the crane and each day it's standing idle its costing them a fortune. Developers clearly in way over their heads. At this rate it wont be complete until 2027 if ever.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post
Bentham is a more unique situation. Half of the superstructure was already existing with a stop work order in place before the pandemic. They didn't have the option to just hold off on erecting the crane and each day it's standing idle its costing them a fortune. Developers clearly in way over their heads. At this rate it wont be complete until 2027 if ever.
Waterview and Spire.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Waterview and Spire.
Yes. I fear this will be an annoying little scar in RN for a while.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 9:11 PM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by the lurker View Post
yes. I fear this will be an annoying little scar in rn for a while.
rn?

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
rn?
He is referring to Bentham, which has been stalled since well before the pandemic. ( rn is River NOrth)

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 10:49 PM
Development Shill

Quote:
He is referring to Bentham, which has been stalled since well before the pandemic. ( rn is River NOrth)
Ahhh, ty ty

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 7:23 PM

May 18

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 8:12 PM

Quote:
May 18

Well that's no good

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 8:56 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Well that's no good
It looks bad but it's just water, shallow water at that from the looks of the wheelbarrow, they can always pump it out if need be. I don't think it really disturbs the existing foundation at all.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 9:04 PM

someone photoshop a shark in there

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction