HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 3:25 PM

Port Authority moves to protect Erie’s shoreline

https://www.goerie.com/news/20200514...ries-shoreline

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 3:17 PM

Some construction pics of the Canalside Townhouses currently under extensive renovation in downtown Erie West 6th Street Historic District. They're doing beautiful work. These are going to be really nice.

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 4:01 PM

Construction progress on UPMC Hamot Patient Care Tower... "tower"

I'm more interested to see what it looks like from the Bayfront.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 4:55 PM

Great news. This will develop a longtime surface parking lot in a prime location. Will adjoin the recently-announced mixed-use project at 5th & State Streets (where the McDonalds was). And will certainly complement the development of the food hall project/renovation of North Park Row block.

Erie downtown group announces new $20 million plan

https://www.goerie.com/news/20200531...0-million-plan

- EDDC has a signed agreement to purchase an 84-space parking lot at Peach and West Fifth Streets for $1 million.

- $20 million project that will include construction of a new parking garage and a 60,000 square-foot building

- L-shaped lot adjoins a smaller parking lot located to the rear of the former McDonald’s restaurant in the 400 block of State Street that the EDDC purchased in October

- Owning the two adjacent pieces of land will allow the EDDC to build a parking garage on the center of the property with space for between 350 and 400 cars

- Parking garage will be hidden from view by a multi-story, mixed-use building that will wrap around the garage and provide space for businesses and 35 to 40 apartments

This is planned for the McDonalds site, previously announced:

Here is the location of the lot, looking northeast (note the now-demolished McDonalds on the adjacent lot fronting State St.):

And this is the newly-announced development on the adjacent lot:

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 1:14 AM

Has anyone heard whats going on with the Avalon?

Last I heard it was getting renovated. Lo and behold I am visiting town and drive by what appears to be the same piercing eye-sore it has always been.

With nearby renovations, and the Avalons prominent central location, either demolishing, or renovating that big block of cement is absolutely necessary.

Then those totally incomprehensibly ugly single story businesses around the corner can be demolished for further re-development.

I understand one step at a time. However, those are two very important projects for Erie's downtown that are often overlooked.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 6:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butternut View Post
Has anyone heard whats going on with the Avalon?

Last I heard it was getting renovated. Lo and behold I am visiting town and drive by what appears to be the same piercing eye-sore it has always been. Who knows if that’s still planned...

With nearby renovations, and the Avalons prominent central location, either demolishing, or renovating that big block of cement is absolutely necessary.

Then those totally incomprehensibly ugly single story businesses around the corner can be demolished for further re-development.

I understand one step at a time. However, those are two very important projects for Erie's downtown that are often overlooked.
Haven’t heard anything at all since a full renovation and rebranding as a Doubletree was announced a couple years ago.

The hotel is obviously in major need of renovation, and it would be good to see the single-story portion along Peach St. (I believe that’s where conference rooms and a restaurant were) demolished, in hopes of redeveloping that block. It’s such an awful stretch.

To think that the Hotel Lawrence And other buildings were demolished for that brutalist awfulness....

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 7:04 PM

Believe the owners were looking for a Pa state grant before going further with their exterior upgrade.
I'd rather see this hotel converted to market rate apartments and a new hotel built on the SE corner of 10th & French sts to replace that surface car park

Old Posted Jun 19, 2020, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWCC8 View Post
Believe the owners were looking for a Pa state grant before going further with their exterior upgrade.
I'd rather see this hotel converted to market rate apartments and a new hotel built on the SE corner of 10th & French sts to replace that surface car park
I think the building works well as a hotel, given its central downtown location. Apartments would be nice too, but I don't think the demand exists in Erie for that type of apartment development now or in the next decade.

There are so many surface lots in downtown Erie, that it's very depressing. The corner lot you mention and the massive lot on E 10th, directly across from the baseball park are prime candidates for development. Though I don't think we'll see it because they are right across from the baseball park.

To continue on the surface parking lot topic... the HUGE lot on 10th and Sassafras is an absolute eyesore. I'm hoping that Gannon maybe will purchase it from the diocese and develop it. But it's good to see the plans for mixed-use buildings on the surface lots at 5th & State/Peach in lower Downtown.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2020, 7:23 PM

Odd resolution, but good perspective to show where the EDDC mixed-use project on W 5th between State & Peach Streets will be situated (surface lots at left bottom center of photo):

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 4:20 PM

Previously cited $25M addition to the Historic Warner Theater is underway.

ongoing video cam from EPIC WEB STUDIOS across the street

https://www.epicwebstudios.com/about...-french-webcam

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 1:22 PM

^ Very good to see activity there.

And also great to see another surface parking lot being developed.

Other glaring downtown surface parking lots:

- Erie County Court House lot at W5th & Sass
- Church of the Covenant lot between W6th & W7th
- lot at W7th & Myrtle
- lot at W7th & Sass
- lot at W8th & Sass
- lot at W9th & Myrtle
- lot at W10th & Sass
- lot at E3rd & State
- 300 State Street lot on Peach between W4th & W3rd
- 4 large UPMC lots between Peach and Sass
- Erie Insurance lot on French St. between E4th & E5th
- Erie Insurance lot on French St. between E5th & N Park Row
- Erie Insurance lot on Holland St. between E4th & E5th (former Cauley Auditorium site)
- Erie Insurance lot between French and Holland / E4th and E5th
- multiple St. Patrick's and UPMC lots between French and Holland / E4th to E2nd
- multiple lots along W11th & Peach
- and unfortunately many mmore smaller lots

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 11:36 PM

Small Local Gaming company on the move.
Whitethorn Digital currently located at 1001 State st in the Renaissance Center rec'd a $1.2 million investment from Erie Insurance’s Opportunity Zone Fund.
It is expected to purchase & renovate a downtown bldg on W 12th. Also expected to triple employment in 5 yrs.
While this is a small step, it is a start to get things moving again after CoVid 19.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 11:46 PM

Also started today demolition of the 1960's era (original Holiday Inn) hotel at 18th & State sts. Located just south of The Amtrak Station it had been condemned as unsafe several months back.
It was recently purchased by an out of town group planning a new hotel but no announcement has been forthcoming.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Small Local Gaming company on the move.
Whitethorn Digital currently located at 1001 State st in the Renaissance Center rec'd a $1.2 million investment from Erie Insurance’s Opportunity Zone Fund.
It is expected to purchase & renovate a downtown bldg on W 12th. Also expected to triple employment in 5 yrs.
While this is a small step, it is a start to get things moving again after CoVid 19.
Seemingly small developments like this are exactly what will make the quality of downtown improve. These things have outsized impact, bringing workers, renovation, and disposable income downtown.

Quote:
Also started today demolition of the 1960's era (original Holiday Inn) hotel at 18th & State sts. Located just south of The Amtrak Station it had been condemned as unsafe several months back.
It was recently purchased by an out of town group planning a new hotel but no announcement has been forthcoming.
Good riddance to that thing. It's been a terrible eyesore for decades now. Total fleabag motel. Funny to think that it was once a nicer hotel with a good restaurant, bar, and live music.

Most of that tract of land between Sassafras and State streets from 19th to the 14th St. RR overpass should be completely wiped away. Get rid of that whole Erie Central Mall building, this hotel, and all that surface parking. Start anew and correct the "urban redevelopment" schemes of the 1960s that destroyed what was once a neighborhood and central market area.

This stood where the Perseus House and Professional buildings are now:

And this was where the Holiday Inn is:

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 3:28 AM

PJ3000
As a lad I recall going to that Central Market.
I also remember it (the bar at the Holiday Inn) as a night spot in the early 70's. and seeing Patsy Cline's tour bus parked out front and that was early 60's.

Last edited by DFWCC8; Jun 30, 2020 at 5:00 AM.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 3:51 PM

Erie lands $40 million Opportunity Zone investment

https://www.goerie.com/news/20200630...one-investment

More good news toward Erie's revitalization.

The real -- and much more challenging -- key is drawing in large companies to set up shop in downtown Erie. If Erie could get even one or two bigger companies to bring in a few hundred jobs, locate downtown, perhaps refurbish a rundown building (or fill in space parking lot space with a new build) (or lease in a EDDC or other grade A office space), the future would start to look very bright for Erie.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 12:27 AM

Updated rendering of EDDC North Park Row redevelopment (showing Greyhound Station and Marlena Place buildings replaced with 4 contiguous facades):

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 12:33 AM

Quote:
https://www.goerie.com/news/20200630...one-investment

More good news toward Erie's revitalization.

The real -- and much more challenging -- key is drawing in large companies to set up shop in downtown Erie. If Erie could get even one or two bigger companies to bring in a few hundred jobs, locate downtown, perhaps refurbish a rundown building (or fill in space parking lot space with a new build) (or lease in a EDDC or other grade A office space), the future would start to look very bright for Erie.
Another large employer would be a huge benefit to downtown. These types of current investments in the area can go a long way towards making downtown a much more attractive place to set up shop.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 12:39 AM

I definitely like the new rendering. It looks nice. However, I also liked the idea of a higher structure (looking back the previous rendering seemed to be 6 stories). Nonetheless, aside from nitpickery on my part, this is a cool addition to downtown Erie.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 3:01 PM

Quote:
PJ3000
As a lad I recall going to that Central Market.
I also remember it (the bar at the Holiday Inn) as a night spot in the early 70's. and seeing Patsy Cline's tour bus parked out front and that was early 60's.
Wow, Patsy Cline was huge. That Holiday Inn must have been quite a spot back then. Thanks for the historical perspective.

Quote:
I definitely like the new rendering. It looks nice. However, I also liked the idea of a higher structure (looking back the previous rendering seemed to be 6 stories). Nonetheless, aside from nitpickery on my part, this is a cool addition to downtown Erie.
yeah, I would like to see something a bit taller here too, but I imagine a building that size may have been a bit optimistic for this spot. Which I can understand... considering that the demand for apartments will also be met by the EDDC-sponsored project a block north at 5th & State/Peach, and that these smaller buildings are a more appropriate fit for the adjacent 1830s-50s structures on the block.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations