HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #6841  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 8:38 PM
MichaelB MichaelB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: North edge of Downtown
Posts: 2,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
THat's a real shame. I live near a lot of single family home construction and none of the crew are wearing masks. They very generally don't have any oversight either. We're going to see outbreaks in labor communities like this in a few weeks.
Absolutely. I can see 4 construction sights from where I live. No masks, no apparent distance guidelines. Vulnerable population.
Not responsible on the part of developers and contractors.
Not helping us get past this
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6842  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 8:52 PM
StoOgE StoOgE is offline
Resident Moron
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Absolutely. I can see 4 construction sights from where I live. No masks, no apparent distance guidelines. Vulnerable population.
Not responsible on the part of developers and contractors.
Not helping us get past this
I did an HEB pickup order on riverside. The poorer parts of town are still business as usual, tons of traffic lots of cars in parking lots. It's really clear that poor people have no ability to not work because they need the income.

And employers are taking full advantage of that.

I called our cleaning company to not have our cleaning done today but still offered to pay them and was told I was like one of 2 people that had done that.

I get that we are lucky to be able to afford that, but poor communities are going to be devastated by this because no one is looking out for them.

Meanwhile in zilker, no cars on the roads but way more joggers than normal.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6843  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 9:31 PM
the Genral's Avatar
the Genral the Genral is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Far from the maddening crowd
Posts: 3,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
I did an HEB pickup order on riverside. The poorer parts of town are still business as usual, tons of traffic lots of cars in parking lots. It's really clear that poor people have no ability to not work because they need the income.

And employers are taking full advantage of that.

I called our cleaning company to not have our cleaning done today but still offered to pay them and was told I was like one of 2 people that had done that.

I get that we are lucky to be able to afford that, but poor communities are going to be devastated by this because no one is looking out for them.

Meanwhile in zilker, no cars on the roads but way more joggers than normal.
Just want to throw this out there...my employer told us if we want to stay home and self quarantine, we can, but won't get paid unless we use our PTI and PTO unless we have the virus, then we get 21 days paid sick leave. Because we have been deemed essential and so many employees are going self Q., starting 4/1 thru 6/30, they bumped our pay by $3 / hour for hours worked only. Its either hazard pay, or incentive pay to come to work and forsake the time off, but regardless, I had a customer who kept getting inside my six foot perimeter and was coughing a lot. At times, so close I could smell his breath. I have to ask myself if its worth it and so far I think its less risky on the job where I can control my surroundings unlike my visit to HEB yesterday where I can't, and I am surrounded by many more people. I did curbside a few days ago at HEB but got too many substitutions and touched everything that was touched by the unknown. My wife's bank sent her and half the employees home to self Q, but she is due to go back 4/6 when its predicted things are going to get worse. I don't think there's an easy or right solution, but in some cases, the line between essential and non essential is very blurry. I don't think construction jobs is essential, nor liquor stores or my job in the storage industry. Secure the construction site, go to a food store for food, and storage facilities are self serve for the most part anyway, respectively. If and when this situation goes away, everyone is going to get a lot of overtime. But at least my company isn't forcing us to take any risks and promised we would still have a job when we feel its safe enough to return to work. IF I don't get sick, my decision to take the temporary hazard pay and report to work will be worth it. As long as we aren't in violation of any Corona laws, all essential employees should have this option.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6844  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 6:20 AM
Geographer Geographer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 98
The only essential private customer-facing business are, in my opinion, supermarkets, gasoline stations (the pumps, not the convenience stores), pharmacies, and private clinics and hospitals. The supply chain is trickier. Obviously the food supply chain must continue. Fuel, medical supplies, and most consumer goods should flow as well. It might be unreasonably difficult to separate out non-essential items from the supply chain.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6845  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 2:37 PM
H2O H2O is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post



I called our cleaning company to not have our cleaning done today but still offered to pay them and was told I was like one of 2 people that had done that.
I was the other one.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6846  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 6:45 PM
Armybrat Armybrat is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
I was the other one.
I did the same with our home maid service a month ago, but the manager said not to pay for no work. Hope they are taking care of their team members.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6847  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 4:14 AM
Urbannizer's Avatar
Urbannizer Urbannizer is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SXSW
Posts: 8,986
2711 W Anderson

Quote:
Located in north-central Austin, Texas, 2711 Anderson features 320 rentable units and two office spaces. Its 5-stories of Type III construction sit on a 2-level subterranean parking garage. Its amenities include two courtyards, a club and lounge space, a pool, a fitness center, a co-working area, sky lounge and terrace, and interior bike storage.
__________________
HAIF
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6848  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 4:16 AM
Echostatic Echostatic is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Austin
Posts: 484
Seems like some of the newer projects that would normally be texas donuts are moving to underground parking, especially on South Lamar. Interesting to see that the cost of excavation is becoming outweighed by the additional units.
__________________
Advocating for a wider I-35, Project Connect, and a denser Austin
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6849  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 4:29 AM
Geographer Geographer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 98
Will this be concrete and steel or wood frame construction?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6850  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 12:35 PM
H2O H2O is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geographer View Post
Will this be concrete and steel or wood frame construction?
Type III is combustible, with some fire protection. Most likely wood frame with perhaps concrete block stair cores, and non-combustible cladding. The requirement is 1 hour fire separation.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6851  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 4:23 PM
Jdawgboy's Avatar
Jdawgboy Jdawgboy is offline
Representing the ATX!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin
Posts: 5,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Just want to throw this out there...my employer told us if we want to stay home and self quarantine, we can, but won't get paid unless we use our PTI and PTO unless we have the virus, then we get 21 days paid sick leave. Because we have been deemed essential and so many employees are going self Q., starting 4/1 thru 6/30, they bumped our pay by $3 / hour for hours worked only. Its either hazard pay, or incentive pay to come to work and forsake the time off, but regardless, I had a customer who kept getting inside my six foot perimeter and was coughing a lot. At times, so close I could smell his breath. I have to ask myself if its worth it and so far I think its less risky on the job where I can control my surroundings unlike my visit to HEB yesterday where I can't, and I am surrounded by many more people. I did curbside a few days ago at HEB but got too many substitutions and touched everything that was touched by the unknown. My wife's bank sent her and half the employees home to self Q, but she is due to go back 4/6 when its predicted things are going to get worse. I don't think there's an easy or right solution, but in some cases, the line between essential and non essential is very blurry. I don't think construction jobs is essential, nor liquor stores or my job in the storage industry. Secure the construction site, go to a food store for food, and storage facilities are self serve for the most part anyway, respectively. If and when this situation goes away, everyone is going to get a lot of overtime. But at least my company isn't forcing us to take any risks and promised we would still have a job when we feel its safe enough to return to work. IF I don't get sick, my decision to take the temporary hazard pay and report to work will be worth it. As long as we aren't in violation of any Corona laws, all essential employees should have this option.
My employer gave us a similar option. I was the last of the non managerial staff to go on quarantine back on the 24th of March. At least I can go in when the store is closed and take care of aquarium maintenance and get paid for that, though I wear gloves and a facemask that my coworker made for me and spray everything down with hydrogen peroxide before I touch anything. I personally do not think the store should be open to customers. We can provide essential supplies such as foods/water and equipment to customers outside. People do not need fish or plants during a pandemic. There is not enough open floor space for everyone to stay 6 feet or more apart.
__________________
"GOOD TIMES!!!" Jerri Blank (Strangers With Candy)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6852  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 5:29 PM
We vs us We vs us is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,818
Today’s my first day of furlough from the hotel. It’s an indefinite layoff at this point. We’ve been averaging 7% occupancy, which is frankly amazing, but also frankly not enough to keep the lights on. There’s a general sense that it’s days are numbered.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6853  
Old Posted Apr 4, 2020, 4:53 PM
Geographer Geographer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Today’s my first day of furlough from the hotel. It’s an indefinite layoff at this point. We’ve been averaging 7% occupancy, which is frankly amazing, but also frankly not enough to keep the lights on. There’s a general sense that it’s days are numbered.
Who's left to provide services to the hotel guests?

Has there been any talk of opening your hotel to health care workers who don't want to go home in order to protect their family?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6854  
Old Posted Apr 12, 2020, 9:28 PM
The ATX's Avatar
The ATX The ATX is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: My side of your fence
Posts: 9,200
Crane Mystery

There are two new somewhat substantial tower cranes on the horizon as seen from the DKR construction webcam. Does anyone know what they are for?


https://texassports.com/sports/2019/...ne-webcam.aspx
__________________
Everyone I know goes away in the end.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6855  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2020, 1:13 AM
The ATX's Avatar
The ATX The ATX is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: My side of your fence
Posts: 9,200
I had to drive into downtown this evening to do some "essential" work. I have to say the downtown crane porn may be at its finest in several years with so many of the cranes being raised recently. IMO it hasn't been this good since Greenwater/Seaholm and the Medical Center projects were at their peak.
__________________
Everyone I know goes away in the end.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6856  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2020, 6:05 AM
lzppjb's Avatar
lzppjb lzppjb is offline
7th Gen Central Texan
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 2,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
There are two new somewhat substantial tower cranes on the horizon as seen from the DKR construction webcam. Does anyone know what they are for?
Could it be the AISD construction of the new Eastside Memorial HS at the old LC Anderson campus?

1012 Arthur Stiles Rd, 78721
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6857  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2020, 6:20 AM
The ATX's Avatar
The ATX The ATX is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: My side of your fence
Posts: 9,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Could it be the AISD construction of the new Eastside Memorial HS at the old LC Anderson campus?

1012 Arthur Stiles Rd, 78721
I'm thinking it's the vacant land just West of the Cypress semiconductor fab. But I'm not sure.
__________________
Everyone I know goes away in the end.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6858  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2020, 7:52 AM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: the upside down
Posts: 51,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
I'm thinking it's the vacant land just West of the Cypress semiconductor fab. But I'm not sure.
I think it's likely this is it based on the line of sight I'm seeing with Google Earth, but I haven't been over there recently to see.

We're actually supposed to drop a dog off at the airport this Sunday for a pet currier to fly with it. My mom is a poodle breeder, and she's sending one to someone. Anyway, I'll check then to see. Don't worry, we're not going into the airport and we'll be safe.

EDIT: I found these two 2019 permits for a 121 foot and 112 foot crane at 2230 E. Ben White Blvd, which puts them in that property. These seem to be taller than those heights. The Cypress Semiconductor fab is about 70 feet tall, and the cranes seem a good bit taller than that.
https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...015460&row=115

Permit for 112 foot crane.
https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...015366&row=127
__________________
"You see, we are here, as far as I can tell, to help each other; our brothers, our sisters, our friends, our enemies. That is to help each other and not hurt each other." - Stevie Ray Vaughan

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Apr 16, 2020 at 8:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6859  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2020, 12:06 PM
corvairkeith's Avatar
corvairkeith corvairkeith is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 1,132
They can also be seen on the 183 construction cam for Boggy Creek. Look to be around 183 and Ben White.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6860  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2020, 12:49 PM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: the upside down
Posts: 51,128
Another possibility is that it's a site that I had found with a permit either through the city or FAA for two tower cranes. The location was on a vacant lot at 183 and Ben White/71 near the end of Metropolis Drive. I checked, and the line of sight matches up with the photo that TheATX posted.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Au...!4d-97.7430608
__________________
"You see, we are here, as far as I can tell, to help each other; our brothers, our sisters, our friends, our enemies. That is to help each other and not hurt each other." - Stevie Ray Vaughan
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:13 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.