HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
The more I think about it, I bet this is about sidewalk improvements. It wasn't long ago that updates were made just south of here for the Cap Metro stops. This could be a continuation of improving the walkability around these updated bus stops.

They probably haven't been able to work on sidewalk improvements here due to the ZaZa construction closing off the sidewalks on the other side of the street.
Tree permits are often the first filings made for a project and the permit states that this is a "Pre-plan Submittal Development Consultation" for "tree removed for Bldg design." (Grammar and spelling are often lacking on these things.) It also states that the Pecan trees are on the South end of the site which is why I posted the overhead to show where they are. They probably could have used a range of 4th St. addresses instead.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Last edited by The ATX; Apr 20, 2019 at 1:55 AM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 3:38 AM

When and where is the first 1000 footer likely to be built in Austin? Taking bets now.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 4:00 AM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_longhorn View Post
when and where is the first 1000 footer likely to be built in austin? Taking bets now.
2030+ (delivered)

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Lame. Halcyon was the location of our mini-forum meet last month.

These buildings really were warehouses up to 100 years ago. That's why they have those elevated "sidewalks". In reality, back then, they were merely loading docks for trucks to back up to. Pedestrians likely walked around the trucks in the street to avoid flying boxes being unloaded from trucks.
The buildings were built about a hundred years ago, and were warehouses up to 30 or 40 years ago. The loading docks were elevated to facilitate offloading from freight trains that ran down 4th Street. I didn't live here then, so I don't know how often cars drove down 4th Street, but I am fairly certain pedestrians were quite rare.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
It was kind of impromptu. One of the forumers here who hasn't posted in a while just out of the blue messaged me saying he'd be in town and wanted to meet up. I invited JDawgboy along, and the three of us walked around during SXSW one night.
All good. I’m one of the few forumers who work downtown (I think) so stuff like that would be relatively easy to join up with.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2019, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
The buildings were built about a hundred years ago, and were warehouses up to 30 or 40 years ago. The loading docks were elevated to facilitate offloading from freight trains that ran down 4th Street. I didn't live here then, so I don't know how often cars drove down 4th Street, but I am fairly certain pedestrians were quite rare.
That area was Guytown up until the WWI era. Then came the warehouses.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2019, 4:33 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
That area was Guytown up until the WWI era. Then came the warehouses.
Now it's Guytown again, only with a different meaning...

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 5:15 AM
De Lurk Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Ive been to all the gay clubs in Ausin. Nothing special. If they are in a cvc devoid block then they should be built upon. Warehouses are not relavant unless a historic event happened there. Places like the
Claudia Taylor Johnson Hall are worthy of keeping. Beautiful historic building. Not a fan of all the gay attachment to the Austin skyscraper site. Sexuality has nothing to do with the interest here.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 7:35 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickelplate View Post
Ive been to all the gay clubs in Ausin. Nothing special. If they are in a cvc devoid block then they should be built upon. Warehouses are not relavant unless a historic event happened there. Places like the
Claudia Taylor Johnson Hall are worthy of keeping. Beautiful historic building. Not a fan of all the gay attachment to the Austin skyscraper site. Sexuality has nothing to do with the interest here.

Not really sure why you had to make a big deal out of nothing because I didn't say anything about what you are griping about. Take a joke sometimes and relax.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 5:48 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickelplate/
Not a fan of all the gay attachment to the Austin skyscraper site. Sexuality has nothing to do with the interest here.
Uhhhhhhhhhhh.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 5:53 PM

I mean, I agree with him. At the end of the day, they're just historically insignificant warehouses in the middle of the CBD without any building restrictions. If developers want to build in "Guytown," then so be it.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickelplate View Post
Took my wife & some friends to Charlie’s about 10 years ago to visit with a mutual friend who bartended there. We also made it up to ‘bout Time near Rundberg & 35 for a welcome home celebration for another friend.

Wish I could find the picture of my wife posing with the dancer at Charlie’s.

But yeah, warehouses in that area never had any historical significance.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echostatic View Post
I mean, I agree with him. At the end of the day, they're just historically insignificant warehouses in the middle of the CBD without any building restrictions. If developers want to build in "Guytown," then so be it.
You're not wrong, but we need to be careful. Replacing every building in the core with a high rise is taking away little pieces of Austin that make it an exciting place to live. There are plenty of other lots in the CBD that are ripe for development. Developers should start there before destroying areas that are very popular nightlife spots. Like it or not, 4th Street is packed on the weekends. There aren't a lot of areas for LGBT folks to out in this town.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaaa View Post
You're not wrong, but we need to be careful. Replacing every building in the core with a high rise is taking away little pieces of Austin that make it an exciting place to live. There are plenty of other lots in the CBD that are ripe for development. Developers should start there before destroying areas that are very popular nightlife spots. Like it or not, 4th Street is packed on the weekends. There aren't a lot of areas for LGBT folks to out in this town.
The Rain and OCH buildings now have a single owner. From what I've been told, he has no desire to sell either for any reason. They likely aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 9:47 PM

Texture. variety. History. Contrast. Character. Just a few things that make a city interesting to me when I travel. High rises for the sake of high-rises do not.
Yes 4th Street was pioneered by the gay clubs , a theatre and Sinclair Black before anyone wanted it.(and that has to do with cultural identity not sex). But now I'm just thankful it's still there to provide a relief and perspective from all the towers going up around it. Seems to me like the uniqueness of the city is at stake when all we do is mow over the texture .... like Dallas and Houston. No thanks.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 10:15 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Texture. variety. History. Contrast. Character. Just a few things that make a city interesting to me when I travel. High rises for the sake of high-rises do not.
Yes 4th Street was pioneered by the gay clubs , a theatre and Sinclair Black before anyone wanted it.(and that has to do with cultural identity not sex). But now I'm just thankful it's still there to provide a relief and perspective from all the towers going up around it. Seems to me like the uniqueness of the city is at stake when all we do is mow over the texture .... like Dallas and Houston. No thanks.
You said it perfectly, I did not know my quite tame, lighthearted and goofy post (if I add 3 or more emoticons, I tend to be just playing around) would have opened up a can of worms and when I saw his response late last night I was in no mood to delve right into an argument, but I'm very glad you most eloquently stated what I feel is a great response.

Reality is we might as well pause highrise development if we are starting to not care about the existing fabric of our city. Highrises be damned, I'll take Halcyon, and gay clubs any day over new highrise development! So just to make myself clear that this isn't meant to be personal, rather a reaction by those to a little post that meant no harm, .

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 10:26 PM

We are going to see more and more demo in the future to make way for high-rise development as surface lots disappear. Also, I don't see the city expanding CBD zoning outside of its current boundaries which would take some re-development pressure of existing buildings.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 11:54 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
We are going to see more and more demo in the future to make way for high-rise development as surface lots disappear. Also, I don't see the city expanding CBD zoning outside of its current boundaries which would take some re-development pressure of existing buildings.
South Shore Central is essentially the extension of the CBD south of the river.. sure with height restrictions for now, but I can see that changing in 10-15 years.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
" Not that there's anything wrong with that! " - Seinfeld

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 12:14 AM

Low level structures of ANY makeup allows the sun to shine through, makes a city more walkable and down to earth, but most importantly to me, allows us to see each exposed highrise in its entirety from many angles and not just from straight up. The only vested interest I have however in the makeup of said street hugging structures is the importance they have to my friends like jdawgboy. I wouldn't wish to sacrifice too many of them for the sake of a shiney tall building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin