HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 8:13 AM
nuttin

I think most people just apply the dyelectic(sp) glass from the standard kerk materials.

To get a realistic slightly warped glass i reckon you'd have to use a bitmap like the one below. I want to make some decent ones to test.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2009, 1:13 AM

Finally managed to do something with glass. That is silver around the frames, but due to the scene I made, it didn't show up silvery.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 4:16 AM

Does anyone know how to make glass less reflective and more translucent?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 8:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krases View Post
Does anyone know how to make glass less reflective and more translucent?
In the material editor of KT you can change the value of reflection to adjust reflectivity (lighter colours are more reflective) and use the refraction value to adjust how much light passes through (again lighter allows more light to pass through). I also believe playing with the index of refraction has an effect on both but I haven't used it much yet. I tend to select the dielectric glass option rather than matt/phong and adjust the settings to suit from there. You can also use the diffuse value to add colour to the glass.

There's some glass libraries on the KT website under downloads which may be worth installing. You can then adjust the settings to get the final look you want.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 11:09 PM

I finally got it figured out. Thanks.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 10:08 PM

I lied. I am still having problems. It is way too reflective and I want to make it less reflective but everything I try doesn't work. You can see I have some objects inside the box, but you can only barely make them out.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2009, 9:00 PM

If you're using a colour in the reflection option in the material editor trying using a darker colour. Could you post a screenshot of your material editor window so I can see what you have so far?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2009, 12:58 AM
Charismatic Stallion

Or you could make a layered material with a thin glass and a dielectric one, but weight the thin glass far more than the dielectric one, so you still have the reflection, but it is less noticeable and the overall material is more clear.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2009, 12:49 PM

I just realised I must have been half asleep when I replied before. I should have said use a LIGHTER colour in the REFRACTION option to allow more light to pass through.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 1:35 AM

Mo, when you export the models and combine them in kerk would you say that the lag is minimal or is there no lag at all?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 3:05 AM

I tried a couple different thing and eventually got it to work out better. Next time I have problems I will post my materials editor page.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 7:26 AM

Glad you got it sorted.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2009, 7:09 AM

I have a new issue of sorts. It might not be something that is actually fixable.

See how the lines are weird looking on the side of the building? How can I eliminated that? They are supposed to be orderly floors but at this distance they look odd and distort the buildings side.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2009, 4:11 PM
Charismatic Stallion

Quote:
I have a new issue of sorts. It might not be something that is actually fixable.

See how the lines are weird looking on the side of the building? How can I eliminated that? They are supposed to be orderly floors but at this distance they look odd and distort the buildings side.
This always happens when there are too many lines too close. The only solution is to zoom in closer to your building or make the rending higher resolution.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2009, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffstuff129 View Post
This always happens when there are too many lines too close. The only solution is to zoom in closer to your building or make the rending higher resolution.
Upping the resolution worked! Thanks.

Any suggestions on lighting? I was going to put lights on each level, but that didn't seem to help with my last project.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2009, 3:03 AM
Charismatic Stallion

Quote:
Upping the resolution worked! Thanks.

Any suggestions on lighting? I was going to put lights on each level, but that didn't seem to help with my last project.
It depends, if you want the appearance that there is life going on in there, put them inside each floor (use point lights around 20 or less power).

If you want the exterior lit. just pop on some spotlights setback from the base of the tower, make their line pointing to the top of the tower and crank them up.

May I also recommend some HDR skies? They add tons of realism.

My favorite: http://www.kerkythea.net/joomla/inde...fileinfo&id=29

Download and install it and you're ready to roll.

There's about 20 of them in there. Have fun!

Old Posted Mar 1, 2010, 6:51 AM

Has anyone else had a hard time rotating the camera around a object? Like it flips around really far away?

Well I just figure out that if you select a object, it is a lot easier to rotate the camera around that object.

Only just now figured that out. It makes life so much easier!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2010, 5:18 AM

Placed 3d text in front of a spotlight. Oh the possibilities!

Also finally got my glass issues worked out to an extent. It turns out I was using special mirror glass the whole time instead of just Thin Glass. Duh!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2010, 6:26 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Okay, so I know this is a kerky thread, but does anyone use or know anything about vray?

i want the shadows in this scene to be soft and diffuse on the walls but they look too sharp.

the lamps have a vray omni light and glass underneath it. should i remove the glass? are there any settings i need to tweak to get my desired result? anyone?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2010, 11:29 AM
Closed account

I think you should PM or ask Skyscraper100 or BurjDubai91.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup