HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Jun 15, 2009, 4:04 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Kerkythea Tips and Questions

So Krases asked is we could make an "official" Kerkythea thread and I thought it was a good idea too! That way we can keep the Sketchup Thread about Sketchup models and not renderings.

ATTENTION! If you have any tips on how to make better renders please post them in this thread. I'll come along eventually and add your tips to this first post so that people don't have to search every page of this thread.

Last edited by Aleks; Sep 3, 2009 at 3:11 AM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 11:02 AM

dont have any rendering advise but something lokks weird about the kitchen floor around the island....but nice open plan space

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 11:35 AM
<:

amazing render aleks, very clean, also the textures are nice!, im sure it took so long to render that, what settings are you using?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2009, 11:58 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Umm... yeahh... I don't know. I don't have enough experience with Kerk. And yeah, the kitchen tiles look crappy. I can't find decent tiles that don't shine too much, or are too bright, or are too big or small. And when I edit the texture it looks worse than before.

Anyways, here's a reincarnation of the World Tower I had designed for my fantasy Mexico City model. The base is wayyy different but the basic shape is the similar. It's 2,000 feet tall, the smallest sphere in 60 ft in diameter and is placed 1,500 ft above street level. The base spheres are 75 feet tall and have a diameter or 100 ft. The middle sphere [also the biggest] is 200 ft in diameter and is 1,100 ft above street level.

I know, kind of a crappy rendering, but it was quick. I hope I can add much much details to this tower.

I want to:
a) detail the base and add columns, people, trees, sidewalks, etc...
b) detail the biggest sphere and add windows, an outdoor walkway, floors, etc...
c) detail the tallest sphere with windows. Add windows to the column between the biggest sphere and the smallest one. Add smaller antenna's to the antenna, railing, service latter's, etc...
d) create better renderings, including some night ones. Add lighting on windows, spotlights, elevators, etc...

Old Posted Jun 22, 2009, 5:32 PM

you should put it in ssp-r city ,cos the city seems to be in recession.................................

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 6:30 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Anyways, I've been experimenting with my world tower. I used several materials to create the glass and metal of the globes.

1) I made every material. I just edited the colors. I feel like the globe is too reflective and doesn't look like real glass or metal.

2) I really like the way the tallest sphere looks but the larger spheres look bad. Better than the first one though. I used a plastic material and changed the color.

3) I used colored-aluminum textures for this one. I kinda like the way the biggest sphere looks but it's not reflective enough. The tallest sphere is okay. The base spheres are okay too.

Okay, I'm not all the way done. But I was just playing around. Once I make floors for the biggest sphere, I'll make renderings where people will see a difference. I can't decide whether I want the base spheres to be just glass or if they will actually have floors in them. Maybe each can have an atrium or something. But there would be no point of an atrium in the base spheres since there's already atrium's between the legs of the tower.

Anyone got any tips?

EDIT: Look at the small person on the bottom left corner. This tower is 2,000 ft tall. Imagine what the Burj Dubai would look like next to a person! Holy gees!

Last edited by Aleks; Jun 27, 2009 at 8:10 PM.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2009, 5:25 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

I want to make the base-spheres glass more transparent and less plastic looking! But I'm not a good material editor. And I think I'm gonna do something different with the base spheres, I don't think they're smooth enough.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2009, 5:14 PM
Charismatic Stallion

And one more question...

In Kerkythea 2008, when you add a pointlight or spotlight, it turns the sun off. How do I turn it back on (without removing all my lights)?

Sorry for all the questions...

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffstuff129 View Post
And one more question...

In Kerkythea 2008, when you add a pointlight or spotlight, it turns the sun off. How do I turn it back on (without removing all my lights)?

Sorry for all the questions...
Haven't ran into that problem, so I unfortunately can't help.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 8:24 PM

all you should have to do is right click on the sun in the left column. It should have and 'x' over the light bulb. Right click>drop down menu>enable.

if this doesn't work then you have to create a new sun. For that it's Settings>' sun and sky'>adjust it to the time you want>click next>adjust intensity/insert hemispherical sky if you want>apply or okay whatever it is, I dont remember

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 8:21 PM
Charismatic Stallion

Sorry if I'm beginning to sound like Colombo ("One more thing", etc., etc.) but how would I get different colored lights?

I'm doing a bridge and need red signal lights*. I'm almost certain this is possible...

*I tried putting a semi translucent covering over normal lights but it didn't really work...

Old Posted Aug 23, 2009, 5:37 AM

Do you guys think it would be a good idea that maybe we start a separate Kerkythea questions/tips thread?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2009, 10:00 PM

Blender has such a huge learning curve though. I barely know what I am doing.

I am going to try again later and see what I can come up with. I could probably get a truly curved surface going.

Edit: A little better. The brass tap in the back kinda failed to come out right, but thats only because I am not very good with lighting yet.

Last edited by Krases; Aug 29, 2009 at 11:16 PM.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2009, 6:08 PM

I have come to realize that setting up a good scene takes about as much time as making the actual models. The lamps were modified from ones I got in the warehouse and the table is also from the warehouse. I was too lazy to put down a real floor so its all just sort of floating in space.

The tub is supposed to be brass but came out a bit shimmery.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2009, 9:58 PM

ive havent done any interiors but that
bath looks like gold glitter,why dont you try an
orange colour and add some reflection in keky..

Old Posted Aug 30, 2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota74 View Post
ive havent done any interiors but that
bath looks like gold glitter,why dont you try an
orange colour and add some reflection in keky..
I could try that sometime. This is brass though, not bronze so it is supposed to look somewhat goldish and not too bronze colored.

I need to find a good porcelain texture. I could probably just do a white color and mess around with the material options in Kerky. I haven't tried that yet.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 3:04 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

EDIT: Old post from Sketchup thread!

Well I made a rendering for this house I'm working on. I'm pretty happy with it so far. I still have to work on the stairs which won't be too hard. What always bores me is the kitchen and bathrooms because they take the longest and you can never make them look the way you want them to.

Anyways, what do you guys think?

I still have to work on those side tables. They don't want to render right! The couches I'm okay with. The leather could be less slippery looking and more rougher. The floors are okay and I really like them. I have to work on the tv stand texture, and the chairs.

And here's another rendering which I'm less happy with but I feel like it came out okay.I hate that I can't get good looking tiles and I don't know how to make textures so I have to work with the kerky ones. I really like the way the cabinets look. I still have to add windows and doors and blah blah blah.

Any rendering pro's have any advice and tips?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 3:28 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

So I started a new house, yet again. I'm almost done with this one though! And I'm pretty happy with it so I don't think I'll stop working on it! Anyways, I made a render of the library and I'm pretty proud of it. I'll make a separate thread for the house later when I have everything finished.

I still need to add more lights and a roof but I'm cookin up another render right now. It's a bathroom render and it's the first one I've done with lights that I actually like.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 7:45 AM

;

wow the floor looks real mr.alex...

but heres my kerk question.....merging models..i have a problem.

say i make a grid with some towers and when imerge another grid
it goes directly on top of the first one ,some when i move the second
grid it leaves bits behind....so i have a problem with selecting and
moving a merged model....Therefore i have been moving the first
grid to the side before i merge in the second but theres no way i know
how far to move....or should i make a large grid and merge individual
models.............................who knows,,,,,,mo?? anyone

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 8:20 AM
nuttin

^^^The prep work for that is done only in SU because using the navigational tools in Kerk is just too painful for words.

You need to have a 'central indicator' which could be a line connected to each model/scene, This allows you to import 2 scenes at a time and use the line to align them without having to move the camera. Remove the trailing scene and export to Kerk > repeat the process with all models/scenes-Just don't move the camera view !!. This way they will appear in Kerk with the exact same configuration with no need to adjust any part of the physicals of the model.

I'll see what else i can answer

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup