HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
Looking real hard but can’t find Edmonton anywhere in that press release.
The restriction for commercial scheduled service from Europe/Afria/Asia/Australia to Canada is still there. Only YYZ, YVR, YUL and YYC can receive such flights. No word on when that restriction will be lifted.

Honestly though, even without that restriction, I doubt you would have seen YEG in that list of KL destinations, at least not yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
They were the best compromise if you wanted to cross an ocean at the time without the massive capacity of a 747.

The L-1011 was the high-tech wunderaircraft - it had features like autoland. It also got royally screwed by Rolls-Royce's problems in the early 1970s with their RB211. That delayed them and cost them dearly.

The DC-10 was the lower-cost thing that did the job. Some of the design choices on that target bit them later. While it (and its derivative, the MD-11) lived longer, they never made much money for McDonnell Douglas.

They're a case study of what happens when two similar products have too much overlap; they essentially prevented each other from succeeding, forcing Lockheed out of the market in the mid-80s and McD to merge with Boeing in 1997.

Boeing cackled all the way to the bank with the 767 in the 1980s and 777 in the 1990s and early 2000s. They were better positioned and read the tea leaves correctly for that era.

It's a difficult business, building airliners. One or two false steps and your goose might be cooked. Airbus thought the A380 was their path to riches, but it left a multi-billion dollar smoking hole in Airbus' balance sheet. Boeing thought it could do another cheapo rehash of the 737 for old times' sake and it burnt them badly.
Well said. You seem to know more than most about the DC10/MD11 and L1011.

The L1011 was a beautiful aircraft. Loved the lines on that bird. The DC-10 and MD-11 dont have that elegance. As you said, cheaper design, even when it came to looks.

Quote:
I've some quibbles with the article.

It claims that the A300 was a much newer aircraft than the DC-10. The DC-10 was introduced in 1970, the A300 was introduced in 1974.
The A300 might not have been that much newer, but it was a better design for sure. Airbus put more thought in the A300 than Douglas did in the DC-10. They had to.

There was a lot of firsts with the A300 after all. It was the first twin widebody in the world and it was the first plane where composite materials were used. With some of the later A300 variants, it was the first ETOPS compliant aircraft and was also the first commercial airliner in the world with a 2 man forward facing cockpit, eliminating the need for a flight engineer.

Another good read:

https://www.airbus.com/company/histo...1977-1979.html

Last edited by thenoflyzone; Jun 4, 2020 at 12:09 PM.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post

The A300 might not have been that much newer, but it was a better design for sure. Airbus put more thought in the A300 than Douglas did in the DC-10. They had to.

There was a lot of firsts with the A300 after all. It was the first twin widebody in the world and it was the first plane where composite materials were used. With some of the later A300 variants, it was the first ETOPS compliant aircraft and was also the first commercial airliner in the world with a 2 man forward facing cockpit, eliminating the need for a flight engineer.

Another good read:

https://www.airbus.com/company/histo...1977-1979.html
The A300 set the groundwork for the mammoth Airbus of today. It too read the tea leaves correctly. There's still remnants of that design in their newest A330neos being assembled today.

It gave them the credibility and success to launch the A320, which killed the duopoly of McDonnell Douglas and Boeing.

Last edited by wave46; Jun 4, 2020 at 1:52 PM.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 3:07 PM

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 3:14 PM
Community Guy

Whoopsy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatestX View Post
Amateur hour at YEG
BA is flying 787s to YEG?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 3:46 PM

Quote:
BA is flying 787s to YEG?
Cargo every few days.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Amateur hour at YEG
The one time you could use a back up sensor or camera.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 7:18 PM

Thats what you get for driving on the wrong side of the road

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 8:21 PM

October 21, 2023

EIA route planning and marketing team, talking to BA and trying to get them to serve YEG:

EIA: “so to conclude, the numbers are there, the business community will support it, and we will throw in incentives for 2 years. What do you guys say?”

BA: “we’re in! Just make sure you don’t tow our aircraft onto the grass like you did in 2020!”

Old Posted Jun 6, 2020, 11:09 PM

Unhappy Updated United Airlines Schedule- July

Unfortunately, YEG was not on the short list of cities United planned returning services to in July.

Returned Service to the following stations: YUL,YYZ,YYC,YVR

Stations remaining without UA presence in July: YHZ,YQB,YOW,YWG,YEG

Services from YEG-DEN are available for booking in August, however the same circumstances also happened for July, yet UA removed it from the schedule.

Is anyone else disturbed how Edmontons air service has been decreasing over the years? Anyone else feeling as if EIA'S air service development team is tired, uninspired, or accepted the fate to YYC?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2020, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEGRTE View Post
Unfortunately, YEG was not on the short list of cities United planned returning services to in July.

Returned Service to the following stations: YUL,YYZ,YYC,YVR

Stations remaining without UA presence in July: YHZ,YQB,YOW,YWG,YEG

Services from YEG-DEN are available for booking in August, however the same circumstances also happened for July, yet UA removed it from the schedule.

Is anyone else disturbed how Edmontons air service has been decreasing over the years? Anyone else feeling as if EIA'S air service development team is tired, uninspired, or accepted the fate to YYC?
United isn't returning to YYC until August either.

You can't blame EIA for what coronavirus has caused, 5 new destinations were scheduled to launch this year (FRA, HNL, SAN, YKA, YXJ).

Old Posted Jun 6, 2020, 11:28 PM

Quote:
United isn't returning to YYC until August either.

You can't blame EIA for what coronavirus has caused, 5 new destinations were scheduled to launch this year (FRA, HNL, SAN, YKA, YXJ).
UA currently has YYC-ORD open from July 9.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2020, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodcory View Post
UA currently has YYC-ORD open from July 9.
I see one YYC-ORD on the 9th and nothing following that

Old Posted Jun 6, 2020, 11:48 PM

Quote:
I see one YYC-ORD on the 9th and nothing following that
Might not be daily but found many flights after July 9 with bookable seats.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2020, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodcory View Post
Might not be daily but found many flights after July 9 with bookable seats.
Where are you looking? On United's website there's a flight on the 9th, 17th and 30th, that's it.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2020, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Where are you looking? On United's website there's a flight on the 9th, 17th and 30th, that's it.
GDS. There’s a flight scheduled daily from July 7 however there’s only limited availability. Looks like they loaded a schedule then sold out many of the flights

If you use ExpertFlyer you can see them as well.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2020, 6:29 AM
Sand kicking airport guy.

The GDS is a mess right now. Airlines are scheduling flights that are not gonna happen and that goes world wide. Having spoken to several airlines it's all 'wishful thinking' right now.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2020, 8:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffyy View Post
The GDS is a mess right now. Airlines are scheduling flights that are not gonna happen and that goes world wide. Having spoken to several airlines it's all 'wishful thinking' right now.
Actually some are engaged in deceptive advertising to sell seats on routes that no longer exist and won’t be coming back. You will get a voucher at best when they cancel with NO notification. Of your lucky a refund from your credit card. The bottom feeder in this scum category is Interjet of Mx.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2020, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEGRTE View Post
I think you'll find several hundred posts in this thread (not all mine) decrying the decline of the Leduc Regional Airport's flight options.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2020, 5:18 PM

OK this isn't a specific YEG question but a travel question.

I've read a little bit on the topic of travel insurance but i intend to call my work travel insurance provider Manulife to be sure. My understanding is that anyone traveling outside of Canada to countries where there is a Travel Health Notice will not be covered by travel insurance. From this link https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/heal...th-notices/221, the Canadian government is stating to avoid all non-essential travel outside Canada to "All Countries" so i assume no Canadian citizen with travel insurance will be covered outside of Canada.

But is it that you won't get covered if you get Covid in another country? What happens if you go to France and get a broken leg, are you covered?

I'm assuming that all insurance companies are making these stipulations (and making tons of money on monthly fees) so who in the world is travelling right now? Domestic flights i can understand but the handfull of international flights to/from YVR, YYZ and YUL are being used by who? Besides those that have dual citizenship (and i'm assuming two passports) i don't really get who is travelling internationally in this world.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton