HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #7361  
Old Posted Jun 6, 2020, 6:42 PM
ThePusherMan's Avatar
ThePusherMan ThePusherMan is offline
One Thing At A Time
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Checkout the 500 footer that Phoenix is getting.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...&postcount=565

This post shows all of the proposed highrises are under some sort of design or construction in downtown Phoenix:
https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...&postcount=545
I bet a whole lot of those yellow buildings never actually get built. It's rough times ahead economically. I'm sure half of them are already dead in the water.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7362  
Old Posted Jun 6, 2020, 6:59 PM
locolife locolife is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePusherMan View Post
I bet a whole lot of those yellow buildings never actually get built. It's rough times ahead economically. I'm sure half of them are already dead in the water.
Some may get scrapped but today there are 13 cranes are up in downtown Phoenix, which represent a lot of what you see in that graphic. Another 9 are in the planning stages but so far looking pretty good, as we saw permits go in last week for Palm Court at AZ center and Astra (500'er appears to be proceeding as well). Fingers crossed on the economy, saw some great jobs news lat week!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7363  
Old Posted Jun 6, 2020, 7:15 PM
locolife locolife is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Phoenix MSA is also 3x larger than the Salt Lake MSA, so it's kind of interesting that this comparison can even be made. Phoenix and San Antonio are exhibits A and B of the effects of 20th century automobile-centric city growth and planning.
Isn't the SLC CSA nearing 3 million now? The Phoenix CSA is 5 million which mainly consists of he metro area, it feels about twice as big but the SLC CSA is pretty sprawly too. Especially North to South given the constraints of growing East to West. Ogden to Provo is 80 miles apart, Surprise to Queen Creek is 66 miles apart.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7364  
Old Posted Jun 6, 2020, 7:56 PM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
Phoenix Might have a lot going on, but they don’t have Wendell Block.
This is just funny. You keep hinting about this block. I'm trying to think of who you remind me of. Maybe like the son of Fantastic Mr. Fox trying to prove that he's athletic.

Last edited by Orlando; Jun 7, 2020 at 5:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7365  
Old Posted Jun 6, 2020, 9:17 PM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 8,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
Ok, yeah, PHX is doing well. SLC won't catch up to them any time soon.
I think this is the issue we're going to see with SLC for the foreseeable future.

The skyline has been so underwhelming for so many years that they're going to be at least one iteration behind a great deal of similar sized cities, which will always keep them from catching up.

Take Portland as an example. For sure, as our skyline grows over the next decade, it absolutely can be in the realm of comparability to Portland RIGHT NOW but Portland is also growing - as are a great deal of other CSA-similar sized cities to Salt Lake City.

This building is currently under construction in Portland:





It's going to be taller (460 feet) than anything Salt Lake has proposed.

They also have a 357 tall tower proposed that should be starting construction next year.

So, absolutely, SLC is making strides but, unfortunately, they're so far behind some cities with similar CSA populations that beyond those cities seeing stagnant skyline development for decades, it's unlikely they'll ever be able to catch up.

But hey - at least the change in the skyline from the 1970s is dramatic enough:


Last edited by Comrade; Jun 7, 2020 at 2:16 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7366  
Old Posted Jun 6, 2020, 10:33 PM
Atlas's Avatar
Atlas Atlas is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Isn't the SLC CSA nearing 3 million now? The Phoenix CSA is 5 million which mainly consists of he metro area, it feels about twice as big but the SLC CSA is pretty sprawly too. Especially North to South given the constraints of growing East to West. Ogden to Provo is 80 miles apart, Surprise to Queen Creek is 66 miles apart.
SLC CSA (~2.6 million) is made up of three distinct MSAs that are developing together because of the constraints of geography. I actually don't think SLC is as sprawl-y as Phoenix or even Denver.

I like that Portland project in Comrade's post. Something like that would look great in SLC. Fingers crossed for the updated Pantages proposal.
__________________
Join us on the SLC Development subreddit
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7367  
Old Posted Jun 6, 2020, 10:55 PM
jedikermit's Avatar
jedikermit jedikermit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,117
I'm glad PHX and Denver and Boise and PDX are all prospering as well as they are. Looking at the PHX proposals, nearly all of them are as boxy and wide as what we typically get in SLC. I'd love to see more curves, more spires, more...Chicago or Taiwan or Wakanda or something. All of those western cities ^^^ are boxes with a corner cut off here or there. When our slanted roof on Liberty Sky is super exciting? That's sad.

That said, I'm loving all these cranes going up. We haven't seen this since the City Creek boom.
__________________
Loving Salt Lake City. Despite everything, and because of everything.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7368  
Old Posted Jun 6, 2020, 11:42 PM
jedikermit's Avatar
jedikermit jedikermit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,117
*YIKES*

Roof of SLC Apartment Parking Garage Collapses
https://ksltv.com/438933/roof-of-slc...age-collapses/
__________________
Loving Salt Lake City. Despite everything, and because of everything.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7369  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2020, 1:45 AM
stayinginformed stayinginformed is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
*YIKES*

Roof of SLC Apartment Parking Garage Collapses
https://ksltv.com/438933/roof-of-slc...age-collapses/
Wow, that is a brand new building, can anyone say "value engineering"?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7370  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2020, 1:52 AM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 8,759
Yikes. Though of little surprise with how cheap a lot of these condos are.

The area I'd love to see the city focus on is 100 South between Main & West Temple. It's probably my least favorite area of the city.

The Marriott, which looks like a building out of 1980s Beirut, either needs to be radically reclad or, gasp, demolished. There's literally zero engagement from City Creek on this block, as it houses the southwest parking entrance/exit. Hell, at least the old Crossroads Plaza opened up into that street on the south-end of the mall. Now, there's only that very small sliver of stairs between the parking & the Marriott. But no actual retail.

Across the street is a parking lot and this monstrosity:



The only portions of this street that are redeemable happen to be located at the corner of each block - 100 South & Mail and 100 S & West Temple.

It's kind of sad that this is literally the street that people can see as they exit out of the Salt Palace's main entrance.

I really wish that planned high-rise residential tower would have been built there. i think that could've been a game changer.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7371  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2020, 3:58 AM
Ironweed Ironweed is offline
Ironweed
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Utah
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Yikes. Though of little surprise with how cheap a lot of these condos are.

The area I'd love to see the city focus on is 100 South between Main & West Temple. It's probably my least favorite area of the city.

The Marriott, which looks like a building out of 1980s Beirut, either needs to be radically reclad or, gasp, demolished. There's literally zero engagement from City Creek on this block, as it houses the southwest parking entrance/exit. Hell, at least the old Crossroads Plaza opened up into that street on the south-end of the mall. Now, there's only that very small sliver of stairs between the parking & the Marriott. But no actual retail.


The only portions of this street that are redeemable happen to be located at the corner of each block - 100 South & Mail and 100 S & West Temple.

It's kind of sad that this is literally the street that people can see as they exit out of the Salt Palace's main entrance.

I really wish that planned high-rise residential tower would have been built there. i think that could've been a game changer.
I agree Comrade.

Remember, that $250k offer still stands when we get a 500 footer.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7372  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2020, 4:37 AM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 8,759
I don't know what this offer is...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7373  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2020, 6:27 AM
Ironweed Ironweed is offline
Ironweed
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Utah
Posts: 313
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
I don't know what this offer is...
I told you a while back that I would pay you $250k if you were to dress up in your best 'It' costume. Waist up, nothing below. Then run around on main street for five minutes! Only if SLC were to ever build a 500 footer.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7374  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2020, 2:17 PM
locolife locolife is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
SLC CSA (~2.6 million) is made up of three distinct MSAs that are developing together because of the constraints of geography. I actually don't think SLC is as sprawl-y as Phoenix or even Denver.

I like that Portland project in Comrade's post. Something like that would look great in SLC. Fingers crossed for the updated Pantages proposal.
Of course they're distinct MSAs, that's very definition of a CSA- adjacent metropolitan and micropolitan areas with economic ties measured by commuting patterns. To be defined as a CSA that means a lot of people are commuting between Provo, Salt Lake and Ogden. Which is pretty sprawly as well.

Put SLC CSA to 5 million and then imagine where the boundaries would end, I'd guess it would be even more spread out than Phoenix due to all the geographic islands created by large mountains and lakes, where Phoenix is more seamless due to being a much larger valley.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7375  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2020, 2:18 PM
locolife locolife is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 21
That's a gem of a shot, love the old Salt Palace! I'm glad the coliseum site here in Phoenix lives on, there's something nostalgic about catching a show in an old school NBA building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
But hey - at least the change in the skyline from the 1970s is dramatic enough:

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7376  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2020, 4:38 PM
Atlas's Avatar
Atlas Atlas is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Put SLC CSA to 5 million and then imagine where the boundaries would end, I'd guess it would be even more spread out than Phoenix due to all the geographic islands created by large mountains and lakes, where Phoenix is more seamless due to being a much larger valley.
Nah, I don't think so. If SLC CSA hits 5 million, it will have the benefit of 21st century hindsight about sprawl and waste on top of good, existing public transit and superior geography. Demographic attitudes about density and urban living are changing and both Phoenix and SLC will benefit.
__________________
Join us on the SLC Development subreddit
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7377  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2020, 5:38 PM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
This is just funny. You keep hinting about this block. I'm trying to think of who you remind me of. Maybe like the son of Fantastic Mr. Fox trying to prove that he's athletic.
How do you post a GIF?

https://www.google.com/search?q=the+...z_aszZ02y5I0nM
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7378  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2020, 10:43 PM
Always Sunny in SLC Always Sunny in SLC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
Phoenix Might have a lot going on, but they don’t have Wendell Block.
We have had more than a couple of trolls on this forum over the years since I have followed (since the first announcement of City Creek Mall being interior/ 2005?). Don’t be one of them. They are annoying. Put up and shut up.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7379  
Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 4:31 AM
wrendog's Avatar
wrendog wrendog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: San Antonio TX
Posts: 3,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Sunny in SLC View Post
We have had more than a couple of trolls on this forum over the years since I have followed (since the first announcement of City Creek Mall being interior/ 2005?). Don’t be one of them. They are annoying. Put up and shut up.
Uggh.. Greenbro with his troll about some major company from Atlanta moving their headquarters to downtown SLC and building a 700 footer.

So lame.
__________________
Now is a fantastic time to refinance or buy a house! Rates are lower than ever! If you are in Utah, PM me if you are interested to see how much you can save or afford.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7380  
Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 3:33 PM
Hatman's Avatar
Hatman Hatman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

Just something I won - for being an athlete...

(copy and paste the gif address, same as an image )
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:12 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.