HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Nov 7, 2020, 10:48 PM

First Look: UTSA $90M downtown campus expansion inside and out

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...Pos=0#cxrecs_s

The University of Texas at San Antonio expects to break ground soon on the heart of its ambitious downtown campus expansion — the $90 million School of Data Science and National Security Collaboration Center.

The project will bring striking visual change along Dolorosa Street to the east of Interstate 35 and is part of a larger center city plan set to include a $161.2 million Innovation, Entrepreneurship and Careers Building immediately west of the first building.

UTSA officials and their designers have taken intentional steps to blend historic downtown San Antonio architecture with more contemporary visual elements. The new structure will house a mix of educational and work spaces intended to inspire public- and private-sector collaboration in the heart of the nation's seventh largest city.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 9:13 PM

Virtual groundbreaking marks milestone for UTSA downtown expansion

From SABJ:

The University of Texas at San Antonio is moving forward on its $90 million downtown campus expansion in a pandemic environment with a virtual groundbreaking for a six-story home for its new School of Data Science and the National Security Collaboration Center.

The 167,000-square-foot building will be on a site east of the downtown campus along Dolorosa Street on a site UTSA purchased from the city of San Antonio. It will abut the redeveloped San Pedro Creek and will represent the first major anchor of a broader UTSA expansion.

UTSA President Taylor Eighmy said the project will advance the university’s quest to be recognized as a research-intensive institution and also bolsters San Antonio’s national standing as Cyber City USA.

"This wonderful project is at the center of our efforts to expand our downtown presence, advance our contributions to workforce development and to further catalyze the development of the data science and cybersecurity business ecosystem here in our city," Eighmy said.

This project is indeed a landmark moment for Eighmy, who shared with the Business Journal more than three years ago his vision for big changes for the center city campus. 

“We need to completely rethink what’s going on at our downtown campus,” Eighmy told me in November 2017, little more than two months after he took the UTSA job. “I think we can do something pretty profound … to create what I would call a giant collaboratory.”

The new structure, which Eighmy has referred to as a transdisciplinary building, will house the first School of Data Science in Texas, enabling UTSA to prepare more students for high-tech jobs. It will also allow government, industry and academic partners to work in unison to address global security challenges. 

“The National Security Collaboration Center and the School of Data Science will attract the kind of talent and employers we want to see grow in San Antonio,” Mayor Ron Nirenberg said.

The University of Texas System Permanent University Fund is providing $75 million toward the cost of construction of the new building, which is expected to be completed by July 2022. San Antonio entrepreneur Graham Weston has contributed $15 million to the project.

Weston believes UTSA’s downtown expansion will have a ripple effect on the center city.

“This is the biggest thing to happen downtown since HemisFair,” he said.

The School of Data Science will get nearly 86,000 square feet of classroom, laboratory and research space for some 6,500 students who are projected to take classes in the new facility by 2022. 

UTSA will also house its 70-plus faculty members in cybersecurity, cloud computing, data analytics and artificial intelligence in the downtown building.

The university’s Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Statistics and Data Sciences, and Information Systems and Cyber Security departments will reside in the new facility, as will its Open Cloud Institute.

The National Security Collaboration Center will take up more than 81,000 square feet in the building, which will include space for laboratories, research and innovation.

The Cybersecurity Manufacturing Innovation Institute will be housed within the center, which will also include space for collaborative work in various fields, including forensics, visualization and analytics, network security, and cyber training and workforce development, among others.

The building will be accessible to the community and home to a ground-level café, as well as a large, multipurpose event space.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 2:35 PM

School of Data Science

I noticed that the crane is up as of this past weekend for the UTSA school of data science building on Dolorosa St. directly across from City Hall. I may snap some pics this week.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2021, 10:10 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
FAA permit for the building - 110 feet.

29° 25' 25.71" N
98° 29' 44.91" W

Work schedule: 04/01/2021 to 04/01/2023

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...3427695&row=12

More renderings here:

https://provost.utsa.edu/sds/
https://provost.utsa.edu/sds/jobs.html
https://www.utsa.edu/today/2020/06/s...a-science.html

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 1:16 PM

Looking north from the county parking garage.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 4:40 PM
James

It looks great! I'm glad you got the San Pedro Creek in there too. I wonder if they'll keep the rock on the bottom.

I didn't realize the first floor was basically done.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 1:09 AM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
It looks great! I'm glad you got the San Pedro Creek in there too. I wonder if they'll keep the rock on the bottom.

I didn't realize the first floor was basically done.
For what it's worth I know the bottom of a lot of the Museum Reach is rip rap as well. So it might be permanent rip rap haha.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 1:18 AM

Progress timelapsed. (warning image size lol)

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 2:42 AM

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 3:24 AM

Wish this was a little taller, but I'm excited for this building to spark some more downtown living. Do we know what they are doing with the lot directly behind it?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkill34 View Post
Wish this was a little taller, but I'm excited for this building to spark some more downtown living. Do we know what they are doing with the lot directly behind it?
This one goes beyond DT development, but goes to the future of SA, and gives our youth a path out of poverty.

This one is not about height, but about the future.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless One View Post
This one goes beyond DT development, but goes to the future of SA, and gives our youth a path out of poverty.

This one is not about height, but about the future.

VERY well said!!! Stop worrying about heights, please!!

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 1:09 AM

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 12:41 PM
JACKinBeantown

Lookin good! Too bad it can't stay purple.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 5:18 PM
James

Now that you say that... it would look cool purple.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
Now that you say that... it would look cool purple.
Purple neon lighting at night?? Might be interesting!!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 6:05 PM

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 6:43 PM
JACKinBeantown

^^ Lookin' good. Though not purple anymore.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2022, 2:18 AM

IMG_1367 by death thepeople, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 5, 2022, 1:50 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio