HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 9:51 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I've never been to an art museum. If I visit Chicago or New York, going to an art museum is probably near the bottom of my to-do list along with getting mugged.

A history museum? That's more my speed.

To each their own.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 12:12 AM
Meh

My brother and his wife to be were happy to see Starry Night in New York on a trip in high school. They were lucky because it was on loan at the time while it's usual space was being renovated. I must admit, I have a soft spot for Vincent Van Gogh's paintings.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 1:09 PM

Thanks for chatting about this, my dudes. I never wanna seem like I hate Austin or don't value opinions on here Have a grand Monday

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 5:21 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post

Facebook, Google, Juul, Amazon, all want alternative cities for their employees to work/live, not to mention, they want post up close to all the Unis within 2 hours of Austin, and the seat of power in a very conservative state.
Texas is not as conservative as it once was. All indications point to the state going tossup purple. Fact is we are just about there now but the main issue is jerryrigged districts which split up the large urban population centers into small pieces lumping them into large swaths of rural Conservative areas. But even some of those districts are getting to the point of flipping. Several long time state legislator Republicans have announced they are not running for reelection. They see the writing on the wall, the majority had close elections the last time around and don't feel they can hold on in the next election. Conversely those very companies you mentioned (except Juul, Don't know anything about them nor do I like them(quickly stopped using vape as soon as the news started covering the health issues... but I digress..)) tend to push for Progressive issues especially social equality.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azul View Post
Everything I've dealt with and touched says otherwise; but no one truly knows until hard documentation begins to come out I suppose.
I hope you right.

Here is what i've heard.
-no touching of neighborhood plans (if this is true, its done)
-allowing STR in all urban-core neighborhoods (already allowed in most, except deed restirictions- which most people do not want to fight), if this is true it won't yield much.
-no increase in far or impervious (if this is true, then we I don't see any changes, just more undersized corridors, stumpy skyscrapers, and SF+ADU lots)
-get rid of the attic exemption. (not sure how this helps or hurts)
- possible reduction in setbacks (again with the deed restrictions?)
- not allowing additional height on major corridors or 2-3 streets off of corridors

Without major changes to the tree ordinance (i'm a tree lover but we need more homes, and we can mitigate the loss of existing trees with new trees...so..) it will always be difficult to squeeze more housing in.

Interested to see if Tovo or the Mayor win in their little amendment battle.

I originally thought this might be smart of the council, this way they get to blame Cronk for all the progressive changes. But now, I think they will still blame Cronk...but to the urbanists, instead of the NIMBY's.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 9:36 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Texas is not as conservative as it once was. All indications point to the state going tossup purple. Fact is we are just about there now but the main issue is jerryrigged districts which split up the large urban population centers into small pieces lumping them into large swaths of rural Conservative areas. But even some of those districts are getting to the point of flipping. Several long time state legislator Republicans have announced they are not running for reelection. They see the writing on the wall, the majority had close elections the last time around and don't feel they can hold on in the next election. Conversely those very companies you mentioned (except Juul, Don't know anything about them nor do I like them(quickly stopped using vape as soon as the news started covering the health issues... but I digress..)) tend to push for Progressive issues especially social equality.
I disagree. I believe you are viewing the entire state with your blue shades on and from the viewpoint of the blueberry in the bowl of tomato soup. The state of Texas is still very red.

Those "reps" are not scared of loosing their seat in the next election...they're just tired and want to pursue other things in life. They were voted in by their constituents - who are still red.

Last edited by GoldenBoot; Sep 16, 2019 at 9:49 PM.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
^^^I disagree. I believe you are viewing the entire state with your blue shades on and from the viewpoint of the blueberry in the bowl of tomato soup. The state of Texas is still very red.

Those "reps" are not scared of loosing their seat in the next election...they're just tired and want to pursue other things in life. They were voted in by their constituents - who are still red.
A lot of them are retiring because they don't want to be in the minority party for the next 2-4 years. I think a lot of people expect Texas could be in play for democrats in the 2028 election.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 9:49 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
A lot of them are retiring because they don't want to be in the minority party for the next 2-4 years. I think a lot of people expect Texas could be in play for democrats in the 2028 election.
At this juncture, that "theory" is more of a hope of the democratic party than fact. At least to a point of "scaring" off candidates from running.

It's not impossible to turn Texas blue - especially since its cities are growing and diversifying at such a rapid rate. But, right now, it's simply a deep-routed hope of the left.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 9:54 PM

Quote:
At this juncture, that "theory" is more of a hope of the democratic party than fact. At least to a point of "scaring" off candidates from running.

It's not impossible to turn Texas blue - especially since its cities are growing and diversifying at such a rapid rate. But, right now, it's simply a deep-routed hope of the left.
We'll see how 2020 plays out as an indication of future progress. Democrats got destroyed 57%-37% in the house vote in 2016 in Texas but did better in a lower turnout 2018 midterm.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 9:55 PM
Meh

I think the reason some of them are calling it quits is because of all the negativity in politics. I actually have some respect for the politicians who are throwing in the towel as it's a sign to me that they don't have an appetite for that garbage and don't want to be associated with it. It's the ones who stay and continue to sling mud that are the problem. Of course, the good ones going isn't doing anyone any favors. That's not how to solve a problem - giving up.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 2:35 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:

Actually it's more than a hope. I hear a lot of NPR in the mornings, a respectable news organization that cuts it down the middle if I do say so myself. I'm hearing a lot of Republican analysts who are saying the same thing. This state is heading towards a shift. Most of the Republicans that are not running for another term at one time didn't have to do anything to run for re-election. That changed this last time when they had to fight tooth and nail to win against Democrats and not by a lot either. This isn't coming from my blue shaded glasses this is what Republicans are saying. If you think they are retiring for a change of pace in their lives then it's you who may need to look beyond your red shades.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Actually it's more than a hope. I hear a lot of NPR in the mornings, a respectable news organization that cuts it down the middle if I do say so myself. I'm hearing a lot of Republican analysts who are saying the same thing. This state is heading towards a shift. Most of the Republicans that are not running for another term at one time didn't have to do anything to run for re-election. That changed this last time when they had to fight tooth and nail to win against Democrats and not by a lot either. This isn't coming from my blue shaded glasses this is what Republicans are saying. If you think they are retiring for a change of pace in their lives then it's you who may need to look beyond your red shades.
beto lost to ted cruz lol. beto is the closest thing to a liberal rockstar (wendy davis had a moment) that I have seen in this state in my lifetime. and he lost to ted cruz, who is not extremely likable

the ethnic replacement is no joke but texas will not be blue in 2020 or 2024.... 2028 things will be interesting

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 1:50 PM

One of the things that Beto's candidacy proved (regardless of his eventual loss) was that the purpling of the state was a lot farther along than a lot of people thought. This is why you've got Dems being so aggressive, and a tier of Reps fading into the woodwork. I don't think anyone being honest with themselves would put money on the state going completely blue, but the potential for (large, significant) gains for Dems is a real thing.

It's worth noting, too, that Reps across the country are retiring at a pretty brisk clip -- it isn't just in Texas. A lot of the most in-tune people are sensing a major shift in national politics -- and while that's part Trump, part generational turnover, part external events -- the energy continues to pretty clearly be on the blue side of the aisle in national politics and in select states.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
beto lost to ted cruz lol. beto is the closest thing to a liberal rockstar (wendy davis had a moment) that I have seen in this state in my lifetime. and he lost to ted cruz, who is not extremely likable

the ethnic replacement is no joke but texas will not be blue in 2020 or 2024.... 2028 things will be interesting
Beto's idea of visiting and campaigning in every county of the state so was noble, but ultimately, he changed very few minds in the those deeply red (and less densely populated) districts. There's obviously no way to know for sure, but if he had instead spent that time in the quickly growing/changing (and more densely populated) suburbs and exurbs, he may have won.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 4:18 PM

Quote:
The issue when Texas actually comes into play in an election and there is a big difference between 2020 and 2028. 2018 was colored a lot by an extremely unlikable incumbent in Ted Cruz. Greg Abbot who is a tea party republican won by over 1 million votes last year. Democrats got closer in the house but still finished about 300,000 votes under republicans in their most energized midterm maybe ever.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 5:32 PM
Meh

Jimmy Fallon announced on the Tonight Show last night that they're planning to film a show at the University of Texas in Austin on November 7. He said it's the first show they've done on a university campus.

The Tonight Show host, Jimmy Fallon announces special Nov. show at UT
https://www.kxan.com/news/local/aust...ov-show-at-ut/

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 6:15 PM

Texas turning blue has been talked about since as long as I can remember. I never liked the pigeon hole politics puts people into....I've known quite a few Hispanic conservatives who follow their religious views more than anything else.

I've been voting in Austin Texas since the 80's and I've heard this line since then..."just wait, one day Texas will inevitably turn blue". After all these years, I still don't see it. Maybe not ever in my lifetime. Texas is a very complex place.

I have gay friends who own/love guns and voted for Hilary. A CEO of a respectable, very conservative REIT located here, voted for Obama...first time he voted Democrat since LBJ he said.

Most all my colleagues/friends share the same 2 qualities... They are socially liberal, fiscally conservative.

What i find amusing is "progressives" who act like conservatives, never realizing the irony. Talking bout you....nimbys.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 6:29 PM

from the Austin Monitor today....

Planning commission voted substantial increases in density and decreases in parking requirements for West Campus. Why in the world do they not think this is suitable for the "corridors" and the transition zones of Austin?

https://www.austinmonitor.com/storie...ampus-density/

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Jimmy Fallon announced on the Tonight Show last night that they're planning to film a show at the University of Texas in Austin on November 7. He said it's the first show they've done on a university campus.

The Tonight Show host, Jimmy Fallon announces special Nov. show at UT
https://www.kxan.com/news/local/aust...ov-show-at-ut/

"what's the difference between me and jimmy fallon? i can make it through a jimmy fallon joke without laughing"

ever since i heard that i have not been able to enjoy his show haha

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
from the Austin Monitor today....

Planning commission voted substantial increases in density and decreases in parking requirements for West Campus. Why in the world do they not think this is suitable for the "corridors" and the transition zones of Austin?

https://www.austinmonitor.com/storie...ampus-density/
Have you not been following Code Cronk? They do.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin