HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

View Poll Results: The Saddest State Capitol building is?
Hawaii 23 17.56%
Arizona 10 7.63%
Delaware 1 0.76%
New Mexico 33 25.19%
North Dakota 23 17.56%
Alaska 18 13.74%
Oregon 6 4.58%
North Carolina 2 1.53%
Nevada 3 2.29%
Other 12 9.16%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 3:46 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

I think it needs to be noted, if it hasn't already, that Alaska's wasn't ever meant to be a state capitol. It was meant more to be a federal office building than anything else. I'm sure when it was built no one assumed Alaska would ever become a state.

BTW, I definitely stick by my like of Oregon's capitol. Again, for what it is, it's insanely consistent and true to its design and is a great modern take on a more classical massing. It's everything that good, stream-lined art deco is supposed to be.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post

This isn't a fair criticism at all. It's like saying the Mayne proposal would be sure to look like crap because they'll build it out of cheap plastic, no matter what the design calls for. There are plenty of good examples of contemporary classical buildings that aren't built with cheap materials.
It's not so much the cheap materials but the level of detail that gets put into buildings. The cost of labor has gone way up since, let's say, the original Art Deco period of the late 1920s. So, if a contemporary building is gonna have the same level of detail of a building built 80 years ago, it's going to be very expensive. It's been my own observation that contemporary buildings that try to evoke a certain style or era (pre-Modern era of course) usually ends up being a thin veneer of the style, or not have quite the level of detail. I have seen a few new buildings that do look authentic in the style they're supposed to be, but it's been mainly residential architecture. Again, I wouldn't mind that "old-style" proposal for a new Alaska Capitol if it were a true-revival style, but I really think it would just end up looking like a Post-Modern structure. But in the end, I prefer the Mayne proposal, because I like that it's very modern.

In the end, it's all subjective, of course.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 4:00 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
I seem to remember hearing from someone, Ohio's capitol was unfinished? I would ask an Ohio resident to confirm this though. What I heard: The problems were connected to fights over cities to become the capitol and I think a change in architects during construction? Again, I would suggest asking an expert in Ohio history about this. I could be wrong.
The construction of the Ohio Statehouse had difficulties due to the unknown fact if Columbus would've stayed capital or not in 1839. Thus, the foundation of the building halted till around 1848. The dome itself was not a by-product of the bickering state legislature but of the architect Issac Rogers of Cincinnati, who was actually reverting to a design scheme by architects West and Sawyer (they called "the Chinese Hat" to make the design unique). It is a myth the dome is "unfinished" but it is NOT a myth the actual construction of the building was delayed by cholera, state bickering (as always), and quick thinking (the previous state house burned down in 1852).

According to wiki:

Unlike many U.S. state capitol buildings, the Ohio Statehouse owes little to the architecture of the United States Capitol. It was designed and built before the U.S. Capitol was enlarged to its present form, with the large white dome that would become ubiquitous on government buildings in America.

The Ohio Statehouse has been hailed as a supreme example of Greek Revival style. It is not patterned on one single building, but is a combination of stylistic elements from Greek sources, melded with contemprorary needs and functions. The cupola shows direct inspiration from the Tholos of Delphi, a circular temple built around 360 BC. The Parthenon of Athens also is a profound influence.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 4:02 AM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
Right. There is very little British about that design. Lumping anything with a dome into "British colonial" is silly.
Actually the flared dome is about the only thing that isn't British on it. Neoclassicism came from Britain around the 18th century from architects like Robert Adam and the more eccentric and multicultural John Soane.
Neoclassicism was, of course, the architectural movement that emerged after Renaissaince ideals about math and plan and idealism had been exhausted by architects and patrons, and neoclassicism, starting in Britain, took forms straight out of Roman antiquity and adapted them to contemporary structures. Everything about that alternative capitol proposal is English (suffice the domes, which are Russian, ironically). So that architect has not only succeeded in retarding 250 years of architectural progress, but he has also forfeited architectural integrity (which is meant to reflect the state, remember) to Russia and to England. And I think that is what makes that proposal totally laughable and ridiculous.

wikipedia.org
Kedleston Hall, Derbyshire, England-Robert Adam, 1759

wikipedia.org
Osterly Park, West London, England-Robert Adam, 1761

wikipedia.org
Royal Hospital Chelsea, London, England-John Soane, 1809

tripadvisor.com
Bedford Tower, Dublin, Ireland-Unknown,1760

All the above are British buildings; the style of their design originated in Britain, and they are characteristic of Britain. You do not see that kind of neoclassicism anywhere else in the world except America, which fetishes and reproduces it.
Hell, the English started it themselves:

wikipedia.org
Old Capitol Building, Williamsburg, Virginia-Unknown, 1747

Colonialism has the word colonial in it.

Last edited by CGII; Aug 4, 2009 at 4:34 AM.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 4:20 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
I agree on Nebraska! They have a beautiful capitol building. My favorite capitol building is Louisiana's Art Deco high-rise state capitol! I would love to see that building in my city and state!
Oh god yes. The Louisiana Capitol Building is one of my favorite. That Nebraska one is down right delicious too.

I agree that many of those buildings are pretty dull/sad. Or the surrounding structures.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 12:34 PM
Jeepus Africanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juelz View Post

Im sure theres plenty of New Mexicans that would strongly disagree. With all the Indian, Spanish, Mexican cultures and influences in Santa Fe and New Mexico as a whole, they could've done an amazing structure. Sadly they failed incredibly.
Have you been to it, or are you just here to speak for the citizens of New Mexico?

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 1:44 PM
America's Hometown

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
The phallic appearance of Florida's capital with the twin domes and large central tower adds to its charm...

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 5:00 PM
E pluribus unum

Well, Florida is already known as America's wang.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juelz View Post

Im sure theres plenty of New Mexicans that would strongly disagree. With all the Indian, Spanish, Mexican cultures and influences in Santa Fe and New Mexico as a whole, they could've done an amazing structure. Sadly they failed incredibly.
I think you'd be wrong. I believe most New Mexicans like the "Round House" not to mention all the art work and sculptures.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 7:44 PM
E pluribus unum

And none of the pictures shown thus far display how it fits in with the rest of Santa Fe's architectural style, as mentioned by the New Mexican forumers several times now.

Looking at pictures of a single building is not generally a good gauge to see how it adds or detracts to the surrounding structures and overall ambience (there's that word again...) of the city at large.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 8:32 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark
Can't believe the blind allegiance to columns and pediments on this board....
Can't believe the blind allegiance to new for new's sake on this board.

See what I did thar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII
Actually the flared dome is about the only thing that isn't British on it. Neoclassicism came from Britain around the 18th century from architects like Robert Adam and the more eccentric and multicultural John Soane.
All of neo-classicism isn't the same any more than all of modernism is the same. If you're going to lump all of neo classicism together as one style and call it British, then I'm going to lump all modernism together and call it German, after Bauhaus. And why in the world should Alaska build a capital that's effing German?

See what I did thar?

Just admit that you value new above anything else and we can move on. That's fine. It's a perfectly legitimate position. This other nonsense is intellectually dishonest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej
It's not so much the cheap materials but the level of detail that gets put into buildings. The cost of labor has gone way up since...
No more expensive (and less rare) than a titanium-clad Gehry special. Regardless of whether you're talking about traditionalism or modernism (to simplify the whole discussion down to just the two paradigms), there's a cheap option and an expensive option. It is valid to say that the cheap option looks bad regardless of paradigm, but it is certainly not valid to criticize one paradigm for that and not the other.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post

You guys that said you like this capitol were just kidding right? You guys were just fucking with me, weren't you? No semi-rational human being alive can honestly say they like this building. This thing is fucking hideous.
i like it. your mom is fucking hideous.

actually i like most of these, especially north dakota and oregon. (and florida - who couldn't love a massively tall (considering the surrounding buildings) oppressively evil looking office slab towering over its original, a cutesy little historic capitol? the rest are decent, if underwhelming/uninspiring. and the one in hawai'i is just cool in my opinion...

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 8:42 PM
JACKinBeantown

I want to change my vote! I voted for Alaska's new design and realized the survey was for its old one. I officially vote for Florida.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 9:16 PM

Alaska - lolwut? Seriously?

The Hawaii one is actually pretty kickass IMO

Florida - what kind of apes were in charge of the approval process for this... uhh... well the picture shows it clearly enough.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 9:40 PM

To think that they actually wanted to tear down the old Florida capitol so that they could put in a driveway. Fortunately it was saved.

For all of it's faults, the new capitol building has a nice public observation deck on the top floor. When I was in Tally, I'd go up there to study sometimes or just to sit and relax. If you're ever town, I recommend it.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 10:01 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
All of neo-classicism isn't the same any more than all of modernism is the same. If you're going to lump all of neo classicism together as one style and call it British, then I'm going to lump all modernism together and call it German, after Bauhaus. And why in the world should Alaska build a capital that's effing German?

See what I did thar?
Not exactly. Modernism shouldn't be considered a 'style' as Neoclassicism or High Baroque or Beaux Arts is. 'Modernism' is a completely different interpretation of architectural theory; that a building should be designed to function, that it should address all of its issues of structure, program, context, etc. and ultimately you will have a 'modern' building. It is completely removed from the practice of designing buildings to look like something, or make classical reference. Neoclassicism was a vernacular architecture to England; saying otherwise would be like saying Bernini's buildings weren't Italian, which is silly. Modernism is not stylistic, it is not designing a building to incorporate certain artistic principles, it is pragmatic. Classically derived architectural 'styles' are artistic and colloquial.

The architects of the Alaskan Capitol should strive to make something functional and Alaskan instead of trying to force everything into a Neoclassical cabinet. They should let the building shape itself.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 10:29 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Uh huh. And British neo-classicism isn't any more related to Russian neo-classicism than contemporary modernism (or whatever you want to call it) like this Morphosis proposal is related to the modernism of Meis. That was the whole point. If you're going to make ridiculous generalizations about neo-classicism and expect everybody to take them seriously, then I'm going to make similarly ridiculous generalizations about modernism and likewise expect them to be taken seriously. Or we can speak like adults. Your call.

By the way, thanks for making the point that the Morphosis proposal *isn't* designed to function, and *is* designed to "look like something". That dome sure is hard to support except in terms of "it's supposed to look like a dome". Although I'm not really sure how "it's supposed to look like a dome, but new" is any better or any more Alaskan than "it's supposed to look like a dome, but old". Of course, if you're just trying to force everything into a contemporary fad cabinet, then I suppose it doesn't much matter, eh?

Also, unrelated to this particular discussion but in a more general sense, I'd love to hear an explanation for what "the building should shape itself" even means. I'd really love to hear an explanation for how that would somehow support building in whatever fad style is currently in vogue. After all, if the program really shapes itself without intrusion from egotistical designers, it would be one heckuva coincidence for the current fad to liek omygawd just happen to be the best one for the program and context of any given building... Or, y'know, we could be intellectually honest and admit that all that architectspeak is malarky, and that some people just like things that are new and different (which, again, is OK.)

Last edited by Cirrus; Aug 4, 2009 at 10:42 PM.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 10:57 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Ohio's looks like a botched circumcision.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 11:34 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
Uh huh. And British neo-classicism isn't any more related to Russian neo-classicism than contemporary modernism (or whatever you want to call it) like this Morphosis proposal is related to the modernism of Meis. That was the whole point. If you're going to make ridiculous generalizations about neo-classicism and expect everybody to take them seriously, then I'm going to make similarly ridiculous generalizations about modernism and likewise expect them to be taken seriously.
I'm not making ridiculous generalizations. I'm telling you what I read out of history and architecture's progress and relevance through it. Pre-modernist design philosophy focused on a building's potential as sculpture, but centred on preservation of classical forms taken from antiquity. This manner of architecture lent itself to colloquialism. Modernism is different from this in that it is concerned with making buildings, not with making them art. This philosophy can be applied anywhere for reasons I'll address a bit later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus
Or we can speak like adults. Your call.

By the way, thanks for making the point that the Morphosis proposal *isn't* designed to function, and *is* designed to "look like something". That dome sure is hard to support except in terms of "it's supposed to look like a dome". Although I'm not really sure how "it's supposed to look like a dome, but new" is any better or any more Alaskan than "it's supposed to look like a dome, but old". Of course, if you're just trying to force everything into a contemporary fad cabinet, then I suppose it doesn't much matter, eh?
I openly criticized the Mayne proposal, don't put words into my mouth. And also don't condescend me by claiming to be the 'adult' and then put words in my mouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus
Also, unrelated to this particular discussion but in a more general sense, I'd love to hear an explanation for what "the building should shape itself" even means. I'd really love to hear an explanation for how that would somehow support building in whatever fad style is currently in vogue. After all, if the program really shapes itself without intrusion from egotistical designers, it would be one heckuva coincidence for the current fad to liek omygawd just happen to be the best one for the program and context of any given building... Or, y'know, we could be intellectually honest and admit that all that architectspeak is malarky, and that some people just like things that are new and different (which, again, is OK.)
The reason Neoclassicism is inappropriate is because it lays down a program that is inflexible. When you sit down and say 'the first thing I want is to make this building look Colonial' you have just limited the capability of the building you are designing to react with the unique condition the site provides. To this effect Neoclassicism can be considered a stamp; an architectural standard which automatically precludes itself from context.

A building should 'shape itself' in the manner that a certain set of needs should be layed out and compiled into a solid statement, and the building should adapt to address that criteria. Let's lay out some criteria to design our capitol building:

-It should have a rotunda. The rotunda is an important programmatic element; symbolically it places a visitor of the public into the centre of the building, the 'centre' of the state and emphasizes it with a grand, vaulted space visible from the exterior. It is a 'functional' part of the building's design philosophy, but not the building's structure.
-It should be accessible. The entries should be placed where the public can easily enter the building and through which the public can enter gracefully, as in, they shouldn't be tucked off to some remote corner of the building. Or, perhaps it is your personal opinion the user should be guided through some sort of outdoor space (another discussion altogether). Maybe it's your philosophy to align these entries with majour roads outside the building and to continue those axes into the building; those spaces can later inform where offices and chambers can be located.
-The offices and chambers should be full of sunlight. Sunlight plays an enormous role on us as humans. Science shows us it plays an unmistakable role in the stability of our mental health. The rooms, offices and galleries that call for great use should be open to lots of sunlight. This does not mean simply putting a bunch of windows around it: it calls for a thorough investigation of the building's context and location. Where does the sun track across the building? How long does it take the sun to track across a space at a certain day of the year? Where do shadows from neighbouring buildings fall on the proposed building? Perhaps some solutions call for strangely placed windows to capture the best possible light.
One more, just to keep it short:
-The building should be built from local materials. In keeping with the theme of 'Alaska,' the architects should look into popular building materials for the area in contemporary and historic times, and look into the availability of new materials unique to the region and work to incorporate them into the design while keeping in mind the structural, textural, corrosive and long term visual conditions of the material.

When you have defined this set of criteria, the architect should work to resolve these issues through a coherent system that creates a building. It is, in effect, designed from the inside out; the inverse of pre-modernist architecture. If the architect said at the start, 'it should look like this,' the enormous opportunities the building has to address certain 'functions' has just been severely limited. But if you choose to address the above issues with the 'modern' approach then you will create an infinitely unique building that works with its surroundings and works to serve its purpose. In that sense, designing a building to address a unique set of challenges is hardly adherence to a 'fad,' but providing the building with substance.

I'm not defending all 'modern' buildings. More often than not architects choose to make glitzy, self centered buildings that serve more as flashy portfolio fodder than habitable building. More often than not, it is impossible to see just from an exterior photo or a rendering if the building's design principles are for real or just for show. But just because those buildings exist in the guise of 'modernism' does not mean we should revert our thinking to 1700s ideas that provide no flexibility of program, structure or aesthetic.

I really hope this can help give some insight into 'modern' architecture. I'm not trying to be condescending or rude, just trying to provoke some thought about what makes buildings look like they do. In truth it goes far beyond pulling some dusty old design from Michaelangelo.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
Have you been to it, or are you just here to speak for the citizens of New Mexico?
It's not that hard to figure not every New Mexican is gonna like it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture