HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

View Poll Results: The Saddest State Capitol building is?
Hawaii 23 17.56%
Arizona 10 7.63%
Delaware 1 0.76%
New Mexico 33 25.19%
North Dakota 23 17.56%
Alaska 18 13.74%
Oregon 6 4.58%
North Carolina 2 1.53%
Nevada 3 2.29%
Other 12 9.16%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 11:19 PM

I really don't understand why North Carolina's state capitol is up there. I think it looks fine and decent, and it suits my state fairly well. I especially don't know why Hawaii is up there. It's a beautiful building with beautiful surroundings.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 11:20 PM

The New Mexico one is by far the worst. Just awful.

The rest don't look that bad to me.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 11:56 PM
BANNED

North Dakota's is pretty bad but Oregon's capitol takes the prize. It looks like a bomb shelter.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 12:30 AM
Closed account

Of the photographs shown, the North Dakota Capitol building looks the worst.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 12:39 AM
Global Citizen

Without a doubt Florida's state capitol.

You'd rather expect to find something like this in Pyongyang or Ashkabad.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 1:08 AM

I've been to the Hawaii State Capitol building and I actually liked it. Yeah, it's very dated looking, it's obviously a product of its era, but it's a very relaxed, informal and welcoming building, which I feel is very representative of Hawaii itself. It has an open-air courtyard in the middle, which I like-- hehe kind of like Honolulu International Airport. I know a few people who don't like that airport because it looks so 1970s and all that, but I like that it's open-air, and you totally smell flowers when you get off your plane.

I've also been to the New Mexico State Capitol building and I like it too. It's round because it's supposed to resemble the Zia symbol from above. I didn't get a chance to go inside, though, because it was closed when I was there.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
Oregon's reminds me of a Mormon Temple.
When I saw the picture, I thought that too-- it also looks like a mausoleum.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 1:23 AM

New Mexico is inexcusably "sad", North Carlina is not too far behind, and North Dakota is just meh

But Hawaii takes the trophy home for sad. It looks like the public library 10 minutes from my house, except the library is much better taken care of.

Arizona's is beautiful.

Delaware has a nice building but embarrasingly small and unimpressive.

For some reason, Alskas's state capitol is fitting, I can live with it.

I actually like Oregon's and Nevada's buildings.

Another one I'd add is Tennessee. It's fine architecture but kind of akward.

I couldn't disagree more about Florida's State Capitol. The old State Capitol is still part of the Capitol Complex BTW. I happn to find it quite impressive.

Quote:
I really don't understand why North Carolina's state capitol is up there. I think it looks fine and decent, and it suits my state fairly well. I especially don't know why Hawaii is up there. It's a beautiful building with beautiful surroundings.
There are small courthouses and city halls in isolated small rural towns that seem more fitting than that desolate building.

Last edited by Juelz; Aug 3, 2009 at 1:45 AM.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 1:25 AM
Honored Member

The Delaware State Capitol reminds me of a local public high school.

Grosse Pointe South High (it's actually older, built in 1926.)

© hetaera5464

Delaware State Capitol:

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 3:06 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark View Post
I actually think New Mexico is the worst, tries to be something, says nothing, in no way tries to tie into the rich history of the state, just bleh.

yep, New Mexico is the worst of the lot. What were they trying to do there?
It's actually a great building, and very well-matched to the region and the state's current population. Santa Fe is not an ostentatious city, and it does not have any sort of symmetry or grand public spaces. The state offices are scattered around the city center in a variety of 3-4 story buildings, in an attempt to harmonize with the city's historic buildings. If you viewed the Capitol in context, you'd see why it's so great.

The Capitol itself is round in a reference to traditional Native American architecture, which often used round forms for religious and ceremonial structures - yet, for some reason, Santa Fe has very few round structures in its downtown area, so the shape lends distinction and authority to the Capitol.

Despite New Mexico's status as a tourist destination, it really doesn't have the population to warrant a huge capitol complex like other states have.

I didn't know it was built in the 60s, but it's all the more impressive for that fact.

My vote goes to Arizona. The legislative side buildings need to be considered since they are so close, and they are ugly as f*ck, even for somebody who appreciates Boston City Hall and the Hawaii State Capitol.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
North Carolina's is by far the ugliest historic state capitol building. Some of the modern ones are much worse, but you just can't find a worse historic capitol than ours. It might be impressive as a city hall, but as a capitol?

It dates from an era when North Carolina was an underperforming economic backwater with nothing much to offer, so it really can't be helped, I suppose. Unfortunately, even though that's no longer the situation, we're stuck with that dreary little building to remind us of our unpleasant past.
Geez. I always liked the NC capitol building, though it is admittedly teeny-tiny.

I have always been a fan of the NC Legislative building, where the actual work goes on these days.

http://www.ncleg.net/senate/pages/gr...egbuilding.jpg

I have vivid memories of going up the grand staircase during a field trip to Raleigh as a 4th grader and being so impressed with it.

http://www.ncleg.net/senate/pages/gr...ndstairway.jpg

I don't know that I am as impressed with the building architecturally now, but I certainly was then and I have fond memories of trips there.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 3:30 AM

New Mexico built this in anticipation of statehood.

________________________________________________________________________________

Then it built this...

_________________________________________________________________________________

Now it has this....

__________________________________________________________________________________

Not good. Like the OP asked, this is best described as SAD.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 3:35 AM

I actually like Oregon's.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 3:35 AM
Red October standing by

Oregon's is awesome.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 3:46 AM
Pacific Wonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post

Despite New Mexico's status as a tourist destination, it really doesn't have the population to warrant a huge capitol complex like other states have.
I've seen it in real life, and it is bad, so they take a round form, then randomly slap on some faux-colonial crap to make it "distinguished." to each his own, I guess.

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 3:48 AM
Look at me!

I can't believe Ohio ain't getting any hate over here. Maybe its not 'sad' but ir sure as hell is awkward, if not just plain ugly! Something's missing....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...e_columbus.jpg

as far as i'm concerned, the nicest (or in this context 'happiest') legislature I've seen in NA is the British Columbia parliament.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3220/...671cc1892b.jpg

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark View Post
I've seen it in real life, and it is bad, so they take a round form, then randomly slap on some faux-colonial crap to make it "distinguished." to each his own, I guess.
The colonial additions weren't just put on to make it distinguished. It was designed in the territorial style that is common in Santa Fe; the classical white columns, doorways and windows, along with the brick parapet exemplify the style that became popular when the military arrived in New Mexico in the 1850s. I don't like how the style was applied in this case but I think there are much sadder capitols.

This is what used to be the second state capitol. You can see the curved, third story windows still remain.

from http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...g_Santa_Fe.jpg

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 4:45 AM
Honored Member

Wow. Ohio certainly does have an "incomplete" look.

BTW, I actually like the North Carolina capitol, especially considering it actually dates to 1840. I would assume that it is one of the oldest remaining official state capitols in the U.S. That should give it some points. The dome may be a little weak, but overall that is a pretty gorgeous picture.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 4:58 AM
Closed account

NC's looks fine to me!

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 5:09 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
I can't believe Ohio ain't getting any hate over here. Maybe its not 'sad' but ir sure as hell is awkward, if not just plain ugly! Something's missing....

The flat-topped rotunda comes from the French tradition. Look at the Wikipedia page for Claude Nicholas Ledoux - who is responsible for many of those classical-architecture drawings that people hang on their walls when they want to look high-brow.

It does indeed look awkward, but it was done with an eye for established architectural forms.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture