HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 2:38 PM
St. Louis. Bitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
Yeah there is. San Francisco is only 49 square miles in the center of the Bay Area. I have no idea how big kansas City is but Jacksonville, FL, for example, is geographically huge.
Regardless of physical area, there is no fucking way Kansas City has more buildings over 12 stories than Philly and SF. Not a chance.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingIn622 View Post
but the cities are ranked by how tall the buildings are not how many. The list says Detroit has 172 and pittsburgh has 148 yet detroit is behind it. We need a list that goes by how many buildings.
1. New York 5,572
2. Chicago 1,060
3. Los Angeles 470
4. Honolulu 428
5. San Francisco 401
6. Philadelphia 339
7. Houston 334
8. Washington 315
9. Boston 265
10. Dallas 238
11. Miami 236
12. Arlington 214
13. Atlanta 208
14. Seattle 197
15. Denver 188
16. Minneapolis 188
17. Detroit 174
18. Baltimore 158
19. Pittsburgh 148
20. St. Louis 147

http://www.emporis.com/en/bu/sk/st/m.../ci/?id=100185

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 4:49 PM

Being Minneapolis and St. Paul literally border one another (no, they are not separated by the Mississippi River) and have downtown areas less than 10 miles apart, their totals should be combined. With that said, Minneapolis-St. Paul has 260 high rises.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
1. New York 5,572
2. Chicago 1,060
3. Los Angeles 470
4. Honolulu 428
5. San Francisco 401
6. Philadelphia 339
7. Houston 334
8. Washington 315
9. Boston 265
10. Dallas 238
11. Miami 236
12. Arlington 214
13. Atlanta 208
14. Seattle 197
15. Denver 188
16. Minneapolis 188
17. Detroit 174
18. Baltimore 158
19. Pittsburgh 148
20. St. Louis 147

http://www.emporis.com/en/bu/sk/st/m.../ci/?id=100185
I highly doubt arlington has more buildings than Detroit, Minneapolis, pitts.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 7:16 PM
World Machine

Quote:
I highly doubt arlington has more buildings than Detroit, Minneapolis, pitts.
You have to take geographics into consideration. Arlington, is I believe, bigger than those 3 cities.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 7:54 PM

I was also surprised chicago only has about 1000 it seems kinda low. The city has like a 15-20 mile long stretch of highrises, and even Hyde park alone looks like a mid-sized city's downtown (not to mention lakeview between fullerton and montrose). But I know the people who work for emporis in Chicago, like BVic and Daninchicago, are very thorough so I trust their numbers.

One thing to keep in mind is chicago has demo'd hundreds of buildings like CHA projects and old buildings downtown. Probably almost as many as new york.

Anyway, this thread is a bit silly, like a contest or something. And many numbers are probably disputable.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 9:29 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Roboto View Post
One thing to keep in mind is chicago has demo'd hundreds of buildings like CHA projects and old buildings downtown. Probably almost as many as new york.
according to emporis' numbers, new york has demolished more highrise buildings than chicago, though the stats on demolished buildings are a bit inexact considering it's impossible to know exactly how many were torn down in decades long ago.

demolished highrises:

NYC - 214
chicago - 172

kinda surprised me how close the numbers are given NYC's immense size advantage, but i suppose NYC hasn't gone on a demolition spree, unilaterally destroying all of its '50s/'60s era highrise public housing projects like chicago has done.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Roboto View Post
I was also surprised chicago only has about 1000 it seems kinda low. The city has like a 15-20 mile long stretch of highrises, and even Hyde park alone looks like a mid-sized city's downtown (not to mention lakeview between fullerton and montrose). But I know the people who work for emporis in Chicago, like BVic and Daninchicago, are very thorough so I trust their numbers.

Anyway, this thread is a bit silly, like a contest or something. And many numbers are probably disputable.
15-20 miles of highrises. I think chicago's downtown is only 3.5 miles long. I think you exerggerated quite a bit there.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 11:19 PM

Quote:
15-20 miles of highrises. I think chicago's downtown is only 3.5 miles long. I think you exerggerated quite a bit there.
He's not stating just downtown, but the city of Chicago. Chicago highrises start as far north close to Evanston all the way south past Hyde Park.
The most dense area is downtown though.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APPRAISER View Post
He's not stating just downtown, but the city of Chicago. Chicago highrises start as far north close to Evanston all the way south past Hyde Park.
The most dense area is downtown though.
but is it a steady highrise after highrise all the way from evanston to downtown chicago. If that's true it seems that Chicago would have more buildings than New york City.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 11:57 PM

I think for Minneapolis it would be fair to add St Paul. I only say that because had the area developed with a single downtown you would see all the buildings in downtown St Paul located in downtown Minneapolis (plus the two cities combined are like 110 square miles which is still smaller than a substantial number of cities on that list). I think it would be legit to count them as combined simply because it does not include suburbs. It would be impossible to claim Minneapolis a suburb of St Paul as it would be impossible to claim St Paul a suburb of Minneapolis.

A combined Minneapolis-St Paul would be 188 for Minneapolis and 72 for St Paul (according to Emporis) for a total of 260.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2007, 12:01 AM
Run with Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unity77 View Post
Being Minneapolis and St. Paul literally border one another (no, they are not separated by the Mississippi River) and have downtown areas less than 10 miles apart, their totals should be combined. With that said, Minneapolis-St. Paul has 260 high rises.

By the same Logic most cities on this list would add neighboring cities.

Boston & Cambrige, New York with Jeresy City and Newark etc.
"Dazzled by the needles of light stitching the water, I turned to watch him watch them. I noticed his eyelashes were reflected in his eyes, like awning in windowpanes. As I tried to make sense of that reflection, I found I could not look away. His irises were brown, clouding into orange with brighter flecks around his pupils. Then it became as important not to look as to look, I feared I would be lost in rush of bronze motes."

Old Posted Oct 12, 2007, 12:25 AM

yea that's true. alot of cities have a neighboring city with a good amount of buildings. Detroit and Windsor, which each city is a river away or a five minute ride ,if traffic is good, over the bridge. For a total highrise number for Detroit is 174 and for Windsor it is 45, bringing the total to 219. and if NYC counted the Newark and jersey city highrise amount they would have a total of 5,763.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2007, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgmLiquid View Post
I think for Minneapolis it would be fair to add St Paul. I only say that because had the area developed with a single downtown you would see all the buildings in downtown St Paul located in downtown Minneapolis (plus the two cities combined are like 110 square miles which is still smaller than a substantial number of cities on that list). I think it would be legit to count them as combined simply because it does not include suburbs. It would be impossible to claim Minneapolis a suburb of St Paul as it would be impossible to claim St Paul a suburb of Minneapolis.

A combined Minneapolis-St Paul would be 188 for Minneapolis and 72 for St Paul (according to Emporis) for a total of 260.
Well then we would have to add every other suburban city close to a major one. It would be too complicated. Houston, Dallas and Atlanta would probably add an additional 50-100 highrises each if we did that. I can only imagine what LA would add and Miami would add Aventura, Miami Beach, Sunny Isles., Kendall, etc. etc.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2007, 2:01 AM
roma volo

there really aren't as many highrises outside the city of atlanta as youd think. downtown, midtown, and buckhead districts all have a considerable amount of buildings. there are only a few pockets outside city limits (vinings, sandy springs, and cumberland area) that contain highrises, an amount that can't compare to any of the districts listed above in 'the city'.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2007, 2:11 AM
Respect My Authorit-I!

Just out of curiosity I checked for buildings in suburban Atlanta areas...there are 135 highrises listed on SkyscraperPage.com, although some of these areas seemingly should have been listed in Atlanta (North Atlanta, Druid Hills, North Druid Hills?). Not as many as in the city, but still a substantial number.

Sandy Springs 85,781 34
Vinings 9,677 30
Dunwoody 32,808 16
North Atlanta 38,579 11
Kennesaw 24,822 11
Decatur 18,172 5
Marietta 62,020 4
North Druid Hills 18,852 4
Druid Hills 12,741 3
College Park 19,529 3
Doraville 10,058 3
Tucker 26,532 2
Gainesville 25,578 2
Duluth 22,788 2
Cartersville 15,925 1
North Decatur 15,270 1
East Point 37,867 1
Lawrenceville 22,397 1
Chamblee 9,494 1

Last edited by sprtsluvr8; Oct 12, 2007 at 2:28 AM.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2007, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scguy View Post
Well then we would have to add every other suburban city close to a major one. It would be too complicated. Houston, Dallas and Atlanta would probably add an additional 50-100 highrises each if we did that. I can only imagine what LA would add and Miami would add Aventura, Miami Beach, Sunny Isles., Kendall, etc. etc.
The point to the logic, however, was that it is NOT a suburb. I think if everyone disagrees that is fine, but keep in mind Minneapolis too has suburbs containing dozens and dozens of high rises that I'm not attempting to include (such as Bloomington, Edina, Minnetonka, St Louis Park, etc). If we don't include St Paul, I guess everyone would have to agree by the same logic you are using, that the Minneapolis numbers are very impressive knowing there is a second CBD only 8 miles away (the city limits border each other, but the downtowns are about 8 or 9 miles apart).

Old Posted Oct 13, 2007, 12:22 AM

Kennesaw has 11 highrises? The other suburban areas sound about right for Atlanta but Im suprised Kennesaw has this many....if any at all. I know the area around Town Center Mall has LOTS of office parks but thought they were all in the form of midrises. Does Kennesaw State University have a mini-skyline or what?

Old Posted Oct 13, 2007, 1:11 AM
Respect My Authorit-I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scguy View Post
Kennesaw has 11 highrises? The other suburban areas sound about right for Atlanta but Im suprised Kennesaw has this many....if any at all. I know the area around Town Center Mall has LOTS of office parks but thought they were all in the form of midrises. Does Kennesaw State University have a mini-skyline or what?
I don't really know...I haven't been to Kennesaw since about 1990. That's the information on skyscraperpage.com...

Old Posted Oct 13, 2007, 1:45 AM

Quote:
but is it a steady highrise after highrise all the way from evanston to downtown chicago. If that's true it seems that Chicago would have more buildings than New york City.
Well, 'downtown' is supposedly from 2200 south to 1600 north, so that is about 4.5 miles (but some are more stringent and say division to roosevelt which is about 3 miles or so). The whole skyline goes to at least loyola at 6400 north or so, and less densly to 6400 south, which is about 16 miles or so, give or take (800=mile). And yes its pretty steady the whole length, but in most places only a few blocks deep. there are areas like hyde park on the southside, and lakeview on the northside, where it looks like a smaller city's downtown and is pretty dense though.

New york's total has downtown Brooklyn, and downtown and midtown all the way up to the bronx. So thats a very long stretch as well, and is much deeper to have so many buildings. That stretch must also be about 15 miles long at least. Plus all the buildings in queens, rockaway beach or whatever, also.

Im still a little surprised by chicagos low number, but on the other hand who cares, its just a number.

Last edited by Mr Roboto; Oct 13, 2007 at 1:58 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture