HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Dec 18, 2007, 8:12 PM

It looks like they exposed a lot of the rods of concrete they've been poring for the past few weeks. Also they seem to be building some kind of structure on the south end. Anyone know whats going on? Will the building begin rising soon?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinatl View Post
It looks like they exposed a lot of the rods of concrete they've been poring for the past few weeks. Also they seem to be building some kind of structure on the south end. Anyone know whats going on? Will the building begin rising soon?
This has been discussed recently in the 1010 Peachtree thread, but probably ought to be moved here. The large concrete formation on the south end is a mat for a shear wall, and you can go back a few days to see how it was formed and reinforced before it was poured.

I am fascinated by how many auger cast piles have been drilled and poured already. As you point out, the heads of many of these deep piles (some over 90 feet deep according to one crane operator I spoke to) have been exposed by excavation for the pile caps that will be poured to connect them to the foundation of the building itself. When the lighting is right, you can see dozens of exposed heads sticking out of the ground in neat, close formations. But this process is going to take awhile, since there are well over a thousand auger cast piles to be drilled, poured and capped before the foundation is complete. The towers will rise soon enough, so we might as well stay tuned and enjoy watching the crews work hard...

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 2:07 AM

Last auger cast piles are poured; Drilling rig dismantled

I spent a little time this evening walking around the 12th & Midtown block, and was surprised to see how much progress has been made. All of the auger cast piles have been drilled and poured, and the remaining drilling rig was being dismantled and loaded onto a truck while I was there. One of the operators told me that he believed there were a total of 1,536 piles drilled, and that there will be a pile cap every 27'. That's a whole lot of concrete.

There is also a whole lot of steel in that hole. The huge mat being formed under the north tower is something to see, and is more massive than it appears on the webcam. It is wider and deeper than you might think, and includes an incredible amount of steel rebar. It was too dark to get decent pictures, but if any of you gets a chance, go see this before they pour it.

A lot of poured walls are starting to rise, and those on the shallower SW corner of the lot are already reaching street level. But there's still a lot of digging left to expose the cast piles on the southern side, and many pile caps left to pour. The progress seems slow until you realize how much is really going on down in that hole. This stretch of Peachtree is going to be very special, and I can't wait to see what happens to Dewberry's adjacent lot.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 4:03 PM

According to today’s AJC, we may have quite the show this weekend at 12th and Midtown. 300 trucks will disgorge 2700 yards of concrete over an 11-hour period on Saturday. In a straight line, the trucks would extend 8 miles!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 5:58 PM

I'm not surprised -- go see how deep and wide the form for that huge mat is, and you'll see how it could devour so much concrete. You'll have to see it before it's poured to appreciate it.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 6:15 PM

I was by there a few months ago and stood and watched the construction for a while--actually it was the raising of the crane at 1010. It was impressive. I can't wait for those buildings to be done. It's going to add so much to the area.

Now if only they'd demolish the car detail place.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cane View Post
I was by there a few months ago and stood and watched the construction for a while--actually it was the raising of the crane at 1010. It was impressive. I can't wait for those buildings to be done. It's going to add so much to the area.

Now if only they'd demolish the car detail place.
That is phase III

Old Posted Jan 11, 2008, 12:55 AM

Would love to see what they decided to do for Phase III... as well as a time line for future development

Old Posted Jan 11, 2008, 2:38 PM

Are they planning on doing this during the day or is this a night job considering how many trucks are needed in one period? I just don't want to miss it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cane View Post
According to today’s AJC, we may have quite the show this weekend at 12th and Midtown. 300 trucks will disgorge 2700 yards of concrete over an 11-hour period on Saturday. In a straight line, the trucks would extend 8 miles!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2008, 2:45 PM

Its been really fascinating to watch this site go from what looks a chaotic mess to the untrained eye to begin to form the base of a building.

Speaking of Phase III, I noticed that this version is on the architect's website labeled 1125 Peachtree

while the original (and more sexy) version is nowhere to be seen

Old Posted Jan 11, 2008, 3:00 PM

^I think I remember Phase III originally being office space, but the more recent rendering looks more like a hotel topped by condos, is that right?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2008, 3:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMidtowner View Post
^I think I remember Phase III originally being office space, but the more recent rendering looks more like a hotel topped by condos, is that right?
The original spec for phase three was for 500,000 SQ FT of office and a boutique hotel.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 10:26 PM

Looking on the webcam at how small that site is (phase 3) and then looking at that above rendering, I don't see how they can cram half a milion sq. ft. in that space with a building that skinny.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 10:29 PM

Now that I count the # of floors (45 I think), I take that back! I just assumed Phase 3 was about the same height as the other towers at 12th & Midtown.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 12:39 AM
Urban Explorer

The facade of the first rendering sort of looks like an American flag.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post

Speaking of Phase III, I noticed that this version is on the architect's website labeled 1125 Peachtree

while the original (and more sexy) version is nowhere to be seen
No accounting for taste, I guess... I think the new rendering is much more sexy than the original: taller, sleeker, more elegant, no frou-frou design touches (like the cap bill on the hotel in the original).

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 12:50 PM

^I totally agree.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahanakorn View Post
No accounting for taste, I guess... I think the new rendering is much more sexy than the original: taller, sleeker, more elegant, no frou-frou design touches (like the cap bill on the hotel in the original).

I could care less about the height. Im all about the street level.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
I could care less about the height. Im all about the street level.
In general I agree with you about height; I read somewhere that if the architect gets the first three floors right, the rest is just gravy. But, I still like the new rendering better than the old.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 5:13 PM

The base is very Time Warner Center (pre Cloverfield). I like it. Much sleeker.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive