HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted May 19, 2014, 6:10 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Downtown roundabout planned for San Pedro Avenue/Main Avenue/Navarro St. intersection.

This is a huge improvement. There are a bunch of other places downtown where I think roundabouts would improve traffic flow tremendously.

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 6:21 PM

roundabout intersections + SA drivers = evil. this should be very interesting.

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 12:22 AM
Weapon of Mass Creation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
I didn't think that intersection could get anymore confusing, but there it is.
Absolutely! This is just stupid. It looks like a freaking Disneyland ride. It's not any more pedestrian or bicycle friendly than what we have now. I walk in this area often, I know whereof I speak.

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 12:24 AM
Weapon of Mass Creation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
This is where you lost me.

Old Posted May 24, 2014, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Downtown roundabout planned for San Pedro Avenue/Main Avenue/Navarro St. intersection.

I hope traffic lights are part of this plan. If not, forget about walkability.

Also, it looks as if Soledad is turning into a 2-way. Good move.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 3:47 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
The dirt will be flying soon on one of the latest multifamily projects within the center city.

This Friday, James Lifshutz of Lifshutz Cos. LP and Dan Markson Sr. of NRP Group LLC will join city officials to celebrate the start of construction on Big Tex — a $50 million plan to turn the former Big Tex Grain Co. into an eclectic urban residential community.

Plans call for 336 units and 6,000 square feet of ground-floor retail space.
Mayor Julián Castro and Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff will also be on hand for the event.

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 7:23 PM

Update on the Cevallos/Clay project by La Tuna.

https://webapps1.sanantonio.gov/dsdd...aMay202014.pdf

See Page 14.

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 5:52 AM

Nice find!

Transwestern does really good stuff. This is also great infill.

Old Posted May 31, 2014, 4:41 AM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

New renderings for BIg Tex in this KSAT segment:

http://www.ksat.com/news/big-tex-to-...edium=facebook

Old Posted May 31, 2014, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
New renderings for BIg Tex in this KSAT segment:

http://www.ksat.com/news/big-tex-to-...edium=facebook
I'm very happy they carved out space in the street specifically for cyclists. Overall, I think it'll add a lot to the area. I just wish they had kept the idea from the original rendering with the plaza around the large silo. I don't know how much "life" 6k sf of retail will add.

Old Posted May 31, 2014, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot Yancey View Post

Update on the Cevallos/Clay project by La Tuna.

See Page 14.
Are there any elevation renderings rolling around the net?

I'm wondering if how they are planning to address the street level across from La Tuna and on Probandt. That is a prime area for some retail activity. Between Cevallos, Big Tex, and Clay/La Tuna there's about 900 units right there. Plus the other developments along Flores and all the single family homes within walking distance.

As a south-end of Southtown/South Flores resident, I'm anxious for some neighborhood retail like a dry cleaner, drug store or a fruit stand. All the restaurants are great, but I can only eat out so many times a week.

Last edited by WorldTexas; Jun 1, 2014 at 12:48 AM.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2014, 4:02 PM

It looks to me like its all residential. Hopefully they will at least address the street by having some walkup type units on the first floor like at cevallos. That stretch of cevallos is always pretty active with people walking and i am sure it is a direct result of that kind of ground level orientation of entries to the public street.

I live and work in the area as well and it would be nice to have additional neighborhood type retail around. What youre asking for does exist nearby although just out of walking distance. Interesting thing is that i'd prefer those businesses that already exist to grow and thrive over the alternative of new choices with inflated prices.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot Yancey View Post
I live and work in the area as well and it would be nice to have additional neighborhood type retail around. What youre asking for does exist nearby although just out of walking distance. Interesting thing is that i'd prefer those businesses that already exist to grow and thrive over the alternative of new choices with inflated prices.
Agreed; there are some great options across Southtown.

I'd like to see things within a short walking distance personally. This is especially true after having my car in the shop for two weeks and a broken derailleur this weekend. With this afternoon's heat I don't want to walk over to St. Mary's to get to the dollar store or Clothesline, much less the Walgreens on Houston.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 1:34 PM

DOWNTOWN MIXED-USE PROJECT WINS INITIAL OK
272-UNITS, 450-SPACE PARKING GARAGE AND 50,000 SQUARE FEET OF COMMERCIAL SPACE

Quote:
An underused segment of downtown, two blocks south of the Bexar County Courthouse, could become the site of a vibrant mixed-use development that would include 272 apartments, half of which would be priced for people who earn less than San Antonio's median income.

The $50 million development would also include about 50,000 square feet of commercial space and 450 parking spots.

City Council is slated to vote later this month on an incentives package that would move the project forward.

THE BUILDING ON THE LEFT WITH BE RAZED

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 3:41 PM
JACKinBeantown

I noticed Google Maps has a new image showing that the convention center construction has begun. Anyone have any photos?

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=78233...gl=us&t=k&z=17

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 4:46 PM

I do not understand why every developer is fascinated by building box shaped 4-5 story apartments, especially in the more central parts of downtown. And I don't even care for tall skyscrapers but at least something a little taller than 5 floors.

*sorry another rant*

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatdoyouwantandwhy View Post
I do not understand why every developer is fascinated by building box shaped 4-5 story apartments, especially in the more central parts of downtown. And I don't even care for tall skyscrapers but at least something a little taller than 5 floors.

*sorry another rant*
Because you can generally only build with wood framing up to four floors. When you get above four floors, there are a whole host of new construction requirements (steel/concrete construction) and costs incurred.

As average rents rise in downtown and near north, 5 story plus construction will become more economically viable. As high as average rents are becoming on Broadway ($1.70 to $2.00), we're still not quite at the point where a pro forma will pencil with anything but wood framing for most developers.

Developers would probably love to go vertical because that means more units and more revenue. But at the end of the day, they have to persuade a lender to finance the project. Lenders won't finance vertical until rents are proven to support a vertical project. Austin has been there for 10 years. We're not far from that point. Expect to see 5+ story projects in the next few years.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHorn View Post
Because you can generally only build with wood framing up to four floors. When you get above four floors, there are a whole host of new construction requirements (steel/concrete construction) and costs incurred.

As average rents rise in downtown and near north, 5 story plus construction will become more economically viable. As high as average rents are becoming on Broadway ($1.70 to $2.00), we're still not quite at the point where a pro forma will pencil with anything but wood framing for most developers.

Developers would probably love to go vertical because that means more units and more revenue. But at the end of the day, they have to persuade a lender to finance the project. Lenders won't finance vertical until rents are proven to support a vertical project. Austin has been there for 10 years. We're not far from that point. Expect to see 5+ story projects in the next few years.
They mentioned this one is 5 stories. I imagine the top four will be wood framing with the 1st floor being something a little more solid. Probably like the building I have on the link below:

http://canalstreetbeat.com/wp-conten...2-2014-4-7.jpg

It don't know when it will happen, but one would think you would see a little more verticle construction in the River North area going up soon, like maybe by those parking lots by the Brooklynite. But all in all, I agree with you TexHorn

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 8:14 PM
Paradise

So H&M is opening a 30,000 sq store at Rivecenter downtown according to this article.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...at-5561226.php

Has Rivercenter announced any other tenants? It sounds like things are finally moving along.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2014, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice93 View Post
So H&M is opening a 30,000 sq store at Rivecenter downtown according to this article.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...at-5561226.php

Has Rivercenter announced any other tenants? It sounds like things are finally moving along.
i remember Dave and Busters being mentioned about going into the Rivercenter but haven't heard any updates. Really hope its still in the mix.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio