HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
I think this is great. The number of projects is amazing. I think there is only 2 more projects to be added, at least that I can see.

1. Utah State building to replace the Road Home. This will most likely be the new home for the State Archives.
2. Planned UTA Tower at Central Station.

I figured it might be good to list these as they are most likely to happen in the next few years.
Makid, I don't know if you'd know anything about this or not, but you're the person who knows things...have you heard anything about a Utah State History Museum? I've worked with the State Historical Society on various projects over the years, and it's something that's always whispered about...that Utah is one of the few states that doesn't have an actual history museum. We have Mormon History Museums, Natural History Museums, but not state. Have you heard anything about that?

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
Makid, I don't know if you'd know anything about this or not, but you're the person who knows things...have you heard anything about a Utah State History Museum? I've worked with the State Historical Society on various projects over the years, and it's something that's always whispered about...that Utah is one of the few states that doesn't have an actual history museum. We have Mormon History Museums, Natural History Museums, but not state. Have you heard anything about that?
There is the Pioneer Museum as well, just up Main Street near the Capitol.

I know that there has been talk in the past, years ago. The problem is that there were some in the Legislature that wanted the Museum in Fillmore, others in Salt Lake, near the archives, and the others that wanted it at the Capitol building or the Fair Park.

With the Archives setup to move to a new building, I personally think that this would be a great opportunity to incorporate a State History Museum into the Archive building.

I haven't heard anything recently (last 2 years) but I will keep an ear out.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 5:51 PM

Quote:

I know that there has been talk in the past, years ago. The problem is that there were some in the Legislature that wanted the Museum in Fillmore, others in Salt Lake, near the archives, and the others that wanted it at the Capitol building or the Fair Park.

With the Archives setup to move to a new building, I personally think that this would be a great opportunity to incorporate a State History Museum into the Archive building.

I wish the state would sale that off and put the archives and museum at the Capitol. That spot would be better for a more 24/7 development. A museum would attract a fair amount of schools and families that will be coming from the suburbs with their cars. The parking will be an issue there. It would be a shame if they added an above ground garage or surface parking.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 6:22 PM

Like Makid said the potential location for the museum has bounced around a lot the past few years. There has been a page on the Utah Department of Heritage of Arts about the museum for the past several years, and it looks like it was updated relatively recently, and it would appear that planning for "the Museum of Utah" on the Capitol Complex is well underway. It seems that this will also be the location of the archives. You can check out the overview and the single page brief below:

https://heritageandarts.utah.gov/utahartifactsandart/

https://heritageandarts.utah.gov/wp-...L-01.27.20.pdf

The important part is:
"A GATHERING PLACE ON THE UTAH STATE CAPITOL CAMPUS
Thanks to the vision and support of Governor Gary R. Herbert and the Utah State Legislature, Utah’s vast collection of artifacts and art will be protected and shared in a new museum on the Utah State Capitol Complex. Planning has begun for this new building that will include collections storage, exhibition, education and gathering spaces."

"THE TIMELINE
• In 2019, the Utah State Legislature provided funding to begin the planning
process for The Museum of Utah.
• Planning and design will continue in 2020 with a draft of the Interpretive Plan
available to the public this winter.
• Completion of The Museum of Utah is anticipated in 2023."

Quote:

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 8:18 PM

http://https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.deseret.com/platform/amp/utah/2020/1/27/21109703/road-home-shelter-closed-demolition-downtown-salt-lake-city

That makes more sense that the archives is going elsewhere because I thought I had read earlier that plans changed. Sure enough I am not crazy.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 3:43 PM

Surfing around on the forum, I came across this rendering (from Miami) and thought that something like this would be nice on Block 40 where Hotel Newhouse used to be. I realize that nothing is happening there anytime soon but it's fun to think about. Thoughts?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Surfing around on the forum, I came across this rendering (from Miami) and thought that something like this would be nice on Block 40 where Hotel Newhouse used to be. I realize that nothing is happening there anytime soon but it's fun to think about. Thoughts?

When I first saw the image, I thought it looked very similar to The West Quarter, Block 67, Phase 1.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 6:29 PM
Building-Curious

I'm not sure if the plans have been completely shelved or simply put on hold, but funding for the new building at the State Capitol Complex was part of the budget cuts made last month due to decreasing revenues.

Legislature plugs $850 million pandemic budget gap in daylong session

Quote:
The long list of budget cuts came after a series of hearings held late last month that largely rolled back spending to current-year levels, then by another 1.7% overall, and include eliminating construction projects such as a new state office building at the Capitol complex and a pay increase for state workers.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 9:29 PM

Quote:
When I first saw the image, I thought it looked very similar to The West Quarter, Block 67, Phase 1.
Definitely similar looking, with a few more stories and a more oblique orientation. The West Quarter is a great project and it's good to see it progressing.

News update for you all: foundation work on the Post House Apartments appears to have just started! It's exciting to see that project begin.

Also, a new building is starting to rise next to the new midrise office building in South Salt Lake, presumably the apartment building in the middle of this rendering:

The third (rightmost) building hasn't started yet, and frankly I'm good with that because I don't want my favorite local brewery (Salt Fire) to be displaced.

Here's the project website: https://southcityutah.com/

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:21 AM

https://downtownslc.org/building-dow...pment-projects
Downtown Alliance has finally updated their development projects page, but they don't list Kensington Tower. Should we be concerned? Or is it because it isn't scheduled to be built until next year? I also noticed there is nothing listed for Pantages either, so maybe it's because both of those are still about a year off.
I was sad to see that Union Pacific Hotel was still listed, I was kinda hoping Covid would kill that project (or at least make them rethink that design). Oh well, I guess.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:10 PM

Nice. My guess is that Kensington and the Theater Tower are less imminent than these other projects. Half of these are actively under construction.

I do wonder when exactly the Gateway project will begin; it seems like it's been approved for awhile. Hotels are not doing well in the pandemic, so I could definitely see that one getting postponed or cancelled. I'm glad the CCH started before all of this hit.

Anyone have any updates about Moda Luxe or 255 S. State? I don't think either has begun construction yet.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Anyone have any updates about Moda Luxe or 255 S. State? I don't think either has begun construction yet.
I thought I saw on Moda's website a while back that it was pushed to 2023, but now I can't seem to find that.

But there are still 3 buildings that need to be knocked down on that site.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:49 PM

Quote:
I do wonder when exactly the Gateway project will begin; it seems like it's been approved for awhile. Hotels are not doing well in the pandemic, so I could definitely see that one getting postponed or cancelled. I'm glad the CCH started before all of this hit.
Yeah, don't expect any new hotels to get financed right now, we saw the hotel portion of a project already get canceled on one of our big projects in Phoenix. Hopefully SLC can keep most of the pipeline going, it's nice seeing it get a little bigger each time I visit.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:24 PM

Three Creeks Confluence Park

Construction on Three Creeks Confluence Park started earlier this year: https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories...cd498d4b128b56

Video Link

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West