HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Laurel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxbot View Post
Let's chop five stories off that design and the stacked stone will have to be value engineered out in favor of poured concrete.
I did a search for a fast food restaurant done in the brutalist style. Closest I could get was this:

Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 5:08 PM

This just sucks. "Less modern and fitting with Philadelphia" is a cop out to say it's going to be another lame ass ugly red brick throw-back tower. Rittenhouse has a variety of architectural styles. And I just hate how Philadelphia is pigeon holed as a place where modern architecture is not welcome. This blows.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 5:48 PM

Relax ya'll... let's wait to see what the new design and height will be. Remember, we cannot at all blame the developer for this. Whatever the outcome, this will 100% be a product of the provincial NIMBY CCRA and Rittenhouse Square condo owners. It's sad that the city's largest Neighborhood Organization - which happens to govern a LARGE part of Center City - also happens to be one of the biggest NIMBYs. They were also trying to fight the 9-story Astoban project at 2108-2110 Walnut Street, claiming it was 'too dense' for the area. WTF?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Relax ya'll... let's wait to see what the new design and height will be. Remember, we cannot at all blame the developer for this. Whatever the outcome, this will 100% be a product of the provincial NIMBY CCRA and Rittenhouse Square condo owners. It's sad that the city's largest Neighborhood Organization - which happens to govern a LARGE part of Center City - also happens to be one of the biggest NIMBYs. They were also trying to fight the 9-story Astoban project at 2108-2110 Walnut Street, claiming it was 'too dense' for the area. WTF?
What is going on with Astoban? Are they still fighting that project? Let's band together to push it through! Really like it (and would potentially consider moving there depending on unit size, finishes, etc...).

Am filing this out to get more info on it:

http://astoban.com/2108-10/

Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
What is going on with Astoban? Are they still fighting that project? Let's band together to push it through! Really like it (and would potentially consider moving there depending on unit size, finishes, etc...).

Am filing this out to get more info on it:

http://astoban.com/2108-10/
They have FINALLY gotten approval. The project is moving forward.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
They have FINALLY gotten approval. The project is moving forward.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 7:29 PM

as this one shrinks by 50%, the Jeweler's row is growing by 50%!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafeguy View Post
as this one shrinks by 50%, the Jeweler's row is growing by 50%!
Yep. And someone on this forum said this awhile ago. Forget who. I wanted to save the storefronts, but if this must happen in this location, I'd rather they go big. Word is this will be super luxury and have great Washington Square views. I hope the exterior is nice. It will be a first for Toll. In this city, anyway. Some of their New York work is decent.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Yep. And someone on this forum said this awhile ago. Forget who. I wanted to save the storefronts, but if this must happen in this location, I'd rather they go big. Word is this will be super luxury and have great Washington Square views. I hope the exterior is nice. It will be a first for Toll. In this city, anyway. Some of their New York work is decent.
Yeah i posted it a couple months ago when i heard. Supposed to be a very nice building with park views, apparently they looked at other sites and this one had the best views, not blocked by the st james or anything. They'll have retail on sansom, parking off of 7th st. Toll is well capitalized and they have the permits so it looks like a go, who knows I may end up moving there. On 1911 - i don't believe that they really won't build for-sale condos here, must be negotiating tactic or something.. for price they paid for land - must build very expensive condos and get a big time credit retail tenant.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2016, 12:35 AM

Checking in on 1911 Walnut Street

Article from Naked Philly. Mostly stuff we know.

http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...-walnut-street

Old Posted Dec 15, 2016, 2:54 AM

I just hate hate hate having to re-read that awful quote: "...it’s become less modern and more fitting with Philadelphia." Wow, that makes this city seem so anti-progressive and backwards. And frankly, it's true. Our architecture is so conservative and boring and I agree with the other poster that we'll end up with another meh 10 Rit type building.

Here's what has me even more down.
Quote:
The building size will be reduced from 750K sqft to 465K sqft.
That's a 62% reduction. If that corresponds equally with height, we're looking at 372 feet. And that would still be one the taller buildings on the Square, so I wouldn't be surprised if the current height is around 400 feet. Lame.

Sorry, but at this point, I almost hope this whole deal falls thru. Almost. I'm still holding out hope that when they release the details, we'll be pleasantly surprised but it's not looking good.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2016, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
I just hate hate hate having to re-read that awful quote: "...it’s become less modern and more fitting with Philadelphia." Wow, that makes this city seem so anti-progressive and backwards. And frankly, it's true. Our architecture is so conservative and boring and I agree with the other poster that we'll end up with another meh 10 Rit type building.

Here's what has me even more down.

That's a 62% reduction. If that corresponds equally with height, we're looking at 372 feet. And that would still be one the taller buildings on the Square, so I wouldn't be surprised if the current height is around 400 feet. Lame.

Sorry, but at this point, I almost hope this whole deal falls thru. Almost. I'm still holding out hope that when they release the details, we'll be pleasantly surprised but it's not looking good.
Our commercial architecture is not that conservative. Our residential buildings, mostly, are....

Old Posted Dec 15, 2016, 3:39 AM

This is so sad, this was one of the projects I was looking forward to the most. It would have been a fantastic addition to the skyline and the area, shame.

Is there any way to counter the NIMBYs with mass support for the tower's original proposal? Or is it pretty much done and over with?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2016, 12:49 PM

Going to end up with a "1919 Market on the Square!" Great.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2016, 1:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiesthelimit View Post
This is so sad, this was one of the projects I was looking forward to the most. It would have been a fantastic addition to the skyline and the area, shame.

Is there any way to counter the NIMBYs with mass support for the tower's original proposal? Or is it pretty much done and over with?
my guess is unless the developer can bribe the group with something they want the proposal will change as described.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 2:23 AM

12/20/2016

More soil samples

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 8:31 PM

Well... I suppose it's good to see something come up here, even if it's not what we all wanted.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 8:47 PM
BANNED

I was hoping this would appear at January CDR but I guess they still dont have approval of the neighbors.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 8:47 PM

^^I'm just happy that this eyesore of a lot is FINALLY being filled in... hopefully. There is no reason there should be an empty lot here, right off of Philadelphia premiere square, shopping district and neighborhood.

As long as the tower is still over 400 FT tall, even if it's like 410 FT tall, I'll be happy.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
I was hoping this would appear at January CDR but I guess they still dont have approval of the neighbors.
Same, but hopefully in a later month. 2017 CDR should be fun. We should see 1911 Walnut, 2100 Market, 1301 Market and the first Schuylkill Yards tower go through the CDR process... I'm sure others as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive