HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
By having large areas where no parking is required for new buildings, which are also the places getting most of our growth.
Transit-oriented urbanism is mainly for youngsters living inside the city. People in suburb will get a car anyway.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 4:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
I think it's the sort of thing you'd build for small building footprints with tall towers and relatively low parking ratios. Or at least buildings where people aren't going to be commuting by car and causing traffic jams at the vehicle elevators. One of the buildings that has them in Toronto had issues with the elevators not working which is a pretty big pain but I haven't heard of anything going wrong in the other buildings that have them.

How much do parking ratios vary for downtown vs outlying developments?

In Toronto, parking ratios are around 0.30-0.35 per unit downtown, even less if you exclude wealthy Yorkville. The more urban neighbourhoods outside downtown are maybe around 0.5-0.6 and then that rises to 0.8-1.0 per unit for the inner suburban developments.
One of Miami's car elevator buildings (Brickell House) had the same issue. The automated car retrieval stopped working (for like a year+ now) essentially confiscating the cars of all the unit owners and turning it into a no parking building.
http://therealdeal.com/miami/2016/01...obotic-garage/

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 5:32 AM
Never Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmartman View Post
Transit-oriented urbanism is mainly for youngsters living inside the city. People in suburb will get a car anyway.
Sure residents of urban areas skew toward young adults (and empty nesters, others without kids, some families, etc). It's great news that a percentage of the population is doing something so beneficial for both themselves and the country.

Going car-less is expanding geographically...some suburbia is going urban and a lot of residents are skipping car ownership there too. That's awesome.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 11:43 PM
Cascadia Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Sure residents of urban areas skew toward young adults (and empty nesters, others without kids, some families, etc). It's great news that a percentage of the population is doing something so beneficial for both themselves and the country.

Going car-less is expanding geographically...some suburbia is going urban and a lot of residents are skipping car ownership there too. That's awesome.
I agree with this - I think it may be a changing generational mindset. I bought a house in Seattle eastside suburbia, but am accustomed to living in denser areas when I was younger (Capitol Hill, Ballard). We are a one (fuel efficient) auto household; I'm a block away from direct bus routes to downtown and bike to work. I think times are changing

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 5:04 AM
Never Dell

I also know several people in their 40s, 50s, and 60s who walk or bike to work. Lots of empty nesters live around Downtown and nearby areas, and bike commuting seems to be just as popular at those ages as it is with younger people, at least where I work. These are people who make six figures.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions