HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

InterContinental Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 1:51 AM
. . . . . . .

At his CAF lecture, Lagrange referred to the Intercontinental as "a study" so I'm guessing that one's pretty much dead. Too bad...It was one of my favorites.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecker View Post
At his CAF lecture, Lagrange referred to the Intercontinental as "a study" so I'm guessing that one's pretty much dead. Too bad...It was one of my favorites.
As it's beenmentioned here before, it more likely on hold. Occupancy rates are very high, and they're trying to gather as much money as possible.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 1:33 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
As it's beenmentioned here before, it more likely on hold. Occupancy rates are very high, and they're trying to gather as much money as possible.
More so than that, the Intercontinental project is almost entirely driven by the condo component (the new tower would actually result in a net decrease in hotel rooms for the property), and I don't believe they're anywhere near starting pre-sales...

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
More so than that, the Intercontinental project is almost entirely driven by the condo component (the new tower would actually result in a net decrease in hotel rooms for the property), and I don't believe they're anywhere near starting pre-sales...
On the contrary, it is more driven by the hotel market. Occupantcy rates are quite high in the city these days and most hotels are making a killing. When this cools off a bit, which may occur as new properties enter the market, then the project may pick up interest. Since the construction will result in less hotel rooms, at least initially, nobody want to give up that profit.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 7:29 PM

I hope this isnt a dumb question. But how could the delay of this project be profitable? Why is there a net decrease in available rooms if they do not need to tear down the old building to make way for this one?
I understand that the condos will occupy a large percentage of this structure, and that pre-sales of the condo component is critical. But looking at the hotel only, with high occupancy rates, wouldnt it make sense to get going as soon as possible? And have two hotels operating simultaneously?
This may be even more ridiculous, but what if the foundation and associated infrastructure is designed for 70+ floors, the building rises to the hotel floors immediately, and then the remaining condo component is added later per demand, ala BCBS vertical expansion?
Or did I miss something very basic here about the plot of land, and the econonic realities?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest View Post
I hope this isnt a dumb question. But how could the delay of this project be profitable? Why is there a net decrease in available rooms if they do not need to tear down the old building to make way for this one?
I understand that the condos will occupy a large percentage of this structure, and that pre-sales of the condo component is critical. But looking at the hotel only, with high occupancy rates, wouldnt it make sense to get going as soon as possible? And have two hotels operating simultaneously?
This may be even more ridiculous, but what if the foundation and associated infrastructure is designed for 70+ floors, the building rises to the hotel floors immediately, and then the remaining condo component is added later per demand, ala BCBS vertical expansion?
Or did I miss something very basic here about the plot of land, and the econonic realities?
In order to build the new tower, they will have to tear down the ulgy 50s or 60s addition that used to be called the Forum Hotel. Despite the fact that it's no beauty, it still has rooms to sell for Intercontinetal.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trvlr70 View Post
In order to build the new tower, they will have to tear down the ulgy 50s or 60s addition that used to be called the Forum Hotel. Despite the fact that it's no beauty, it still has rooms to sell for Intercontinetal.
Thank you... and I apologize for not doing my homework... now I see that many rooms would indeed be lost for a construction start here. The demolition of the old tower would certainly take some time as well.
It makes sense now, the delay indeed may be a good idea if these hotel rooms are currently filled and profitable.
I wonder what the possibility is of InterContinental finding a new site for this tower? One that would not affect their current operations.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 9:11 PM

^ It'd be awesome if they could use a site in river north 4-5 blocks north of the river.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2008, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eventually...Chicago View Post
A few more points that i forgot to report...

- They believed the chicago, high-end hotel market, and hotel market in general, to be vastly under built.
- They raved on about McCormick Place and the incredible job McPier does in attracting conventions. They talked alot more about this. If anyone has a specific questions, ask me and i'll let you know if they discussed this.
- They all thought orlando sucks. And in this instance, i do think they used the word "suck"

Also with regards to the mandarin oriental, they did stress that it was their opinion. But these guys are in that industry so i'll take them at their word until i have a reason to do otherwise.
Any mention of the Intercontinental Hotel north tower reconstruction.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2008, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Any mention of the Intercontinental Hotel north tower reconstruction.
They did mention something about it but, i can't remember now. I don't think it was anything of substance otherwise it would have stuck out.

Sorry

"A Chicago man knows he has a mission to accomplish in the world."- Pierre De Coubertin

Old Posted Feb 29, 2008, 5:05 AM

Damn!!! I saw that someone posted about this building and I got excited that something was happening!!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 9:21 PM
THAT Guy

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...age.pl?id=2166

Chicago: Intercontinental Hotel Expansion, 505 N. Michigan Ave., 71-story hotel expansion and renovation, August 2010, $60 million.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 9:31 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post

Chicago: Intercontinental Hotel Expansion, 505 N. Michigan Ave., 71-story hotel expansion and renovation, August 2010, $60 million.
Still viable news on this puppy. Would love to get an 850 footer here. Given some of the turmoil of some other projects in the area I hope it makes it more likely for it to strike when the market is ready.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 1:24 AM
The City

^ It's in easily the primest real estate in Chicago. I see no reason why it won't be built eventually. The real question is, how can you NOT build it?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 1:53 AM

Yea, I believe hearing on this forum they basically were waiting for the hotel market to calm down a bit so they could start.

Also, could someone repost renders?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simcityaustin View Post
Yea, I believe hearing on this forum they basically were waiting for the hotel market to calm down a bit so they could start.

Also, could someone repost renders?
This is already happening. Now that the market is less lucrative, it may indeed be the time to build since expansion will deplete the number of available rooms.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 9:24 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post

Excellent news. This building is an supurb and desperately needed developement. I think its a solid design and I'd love to get some height and glass on this historic stretch of Michigan Ave.

Last edited by Alliance; Jun 12, 2008 at 10:56 PM.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
This building is an (sic) suburb
I say we keep the suburbs out of Chicago. I will not stand for this building. I will not tolerate suburban sprawl spreading to our CBD.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 10:57 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Are you kidding? This city needs more suburbs on Michigan Ave!

(edited lol)

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 4:28 AM
Ex Houstonian

How is this project urban sprawl. Last time I checked I didnt see any 850 ft towers in my neighborhood

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive