HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Yes, those balconies are on the south side of the building, so they always get sun during the day.

And yes, we coastal Californians do complain when the temps exceed 80. At least I do. And when it drops below 55. For me, anyway. But hey, I've had visiting Chicagoans complain that it gets cold here. And I think I've figured it out. Looking at average daytime temps in Chicago in the winter, the night and day temps don't vary by a huge lot, whereas here in LA, even right now, during the middle of the day it's been 80 degrees, but in the early morning hours, it's 50 degrees. Whereas in Chicago in the winter, your body adjusts to the pretty much constant temperature the whole day long, here in LA, that 30 degree difference in day and night temps feels drastic, so that 30 degree drop will feel cold.

I can only speak for myself, but growing up and continuing to live in the Los Angeles area, I'm hardly ever at home for a long period of time while I'm awake. My partner and I are always out and about, because our weather is conducive to it. That's why I wonder about small families or couples who want that "American dream" of a large house with big yards. It's like, are you gonna spend every day, all day, just inside your house? Unless you want to run an inn, or want your extended family to live with you, why do you need a huge 5 bedroom house??
Some people always stay home because of anxiety or just loving to relax at home doing nothing. Others stay home(I am assuming this applies to families too) because it's much cheaper. As soon as I leave my house cash leaves my pocket.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 3:56 AM
Here we stAy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
LA should be much faster than Sacramento.
The City's planning policies have been rather progressive for quite a while. There's even been more talk and support for parking maximums within the last year or so. SACOG (local MPO) was also leader in integrating land use and transportation planning with the regional blueprint which was later used as a model for SB375 and other reforms. Being the policy center of CA has put us ahead of the game locally for quite a while, but just don't see the level development investment that LA or the Bay Area get.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions