HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 7:20 PM
sick transit, gloria

Regurgitating GDP and trade stats is a particularly asinine way of gauging the importance of a place. Particularly if only in relation to the United States. There is a whole wide world out there and people value things beyond a number in a spreadsheet.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
What companies are headquartered in Tempe?
Enough trolling this is annoying

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Regurgitating GDP and trade stats is a particularly asinine way of gauging the importance of a place. Particularly if only in relation to the United States. There is a whole wide world out there and people value things beyond a number in a spreadsheet.
In terms of measurable impact South Africa is essentially meaningless to the USA

I said there would be sad feelings. But if you are trying to answer the question of weather some random suburb will ever be “Manhattan” I think gdp, population and “spreadsheets” are particularly important and relevant

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Enough trolling this is annoying
Honest question

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Honest question
Two big ones off the top of my head at carvana, godaddy and first solar. But 63% of people in America are employed by small and medium sized businesses of which there are probably thousands of them hq’s in Tempe it’s a major employment center. Not to mention many major companies with operations in the city that would be impacted

But it isn’t an honest question you are just being a clown

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Gotta keep you guys on your toes!
Just popped some popcorn. This. Is. Why. I. Come. Here!

Random ass comparisons of places I rarely hear about.

Hell, I will feel really smart if someone brings up South Africa in a conversation and I can show off by my knowledge about the economy of Johannesburg.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 8:06 PM

Quote:
That is true. And it feels good. But the people in South Africa would *love* some more GDP per capita. Like, a lot.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Two big ones off the top of my head at carvana, godaddy and first solar. But 63% of people in America are employed by small and medium sized businesses of which there are probably thousands of them hq’s in Tempe it’s a major employment center. Not to mention many major companies with operations in the city that would be impacted
I have learned something new. I would miss GoDaddy for sure, and someone might miss Carvana, too. America's TV commercial breaks would never be the same if we lost Tempe. But I'm sure someone would also miss Africa's largest financial hub.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 10:34 PM
Posh

Manhattan, Kansas?

Sure, why not.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 12:36 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

Sandton:

Tempe, AZ

they do look kind of similar...eerie.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 12:37 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

Johannesburg (HQ of SA coal companies) is definitely more of a contributor towards climate change, than AZ.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post

they do look kind of similar...eerie.
Thats an outdated Tempe too

ITs a very constructiony kind of town.

Not many pics with an angle on many of the cranes, THis one happens to be because of a fire LOL

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 9:23 AM

The insularity of some impresses me. 99.9% of the discussions here are focused on the US. When we have a chance to discuss something else, in this case a city that has been the most important one in the African continent for the past 120 years (or pretty much since its foundation), people dismiss.

Well let’s cover then, yet another time, some random suburb of a random US metro area.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 12:25 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Thats an outdated Tempe too

It was an extremely outdated shot of Sandton as well (looks to be 10+), which now is home to Africa's tallest tower. It isn't the best looking, but also what I assume was OP's original motivation. There's been dozens of more attractive midrises built in that timeframe though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriandrade View Post
The insularity of some impresses me. 99.9% of the discussions here are focused on the US. When we have a chance to discuss something else, in this case a city that has been the most important one in the African continent for the past 120 years (or pretty much since its foundation), people dismiss.

Well let’s cover then, yet another time, some random suburb of a random US metro area.

Yes, it can be extremely frustrating.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 12:33 PM
sick transit, gloria

Here's some more up to date pictures of Sandton. Still very much a suburban node but it's building up over quickly - last time I walked through (this past May) it felt like constant construction. But then again just about every plot facing a major road in the Northern Suburbs of Joburg seemed to be putting up condos or small offices.

https://redirect.viglink.com/?format...kbrick.club%2F

https://redirect.viglink.com/?format...ewdevelopments

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 1:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Nah, just poking fun at your love of suburbia and the idea in this thread that Sandton ranks somewhere up near Boise in terms of importance.
90%+ of Americans live in the suburbs, or suburban districts within the city. True story. We love suburban life so much, that the suburbs are going to absorb the coming 70 million people this century.

Heck millennials love suburbia as well. They're starting to leave the city for the suburbs, reversing a very short lived trend of them flocking to the city. [3rd year in a row of declining 25-39 year olds, although some Sun Belt/West Coast cities, the millennial population is growing].

Millennials Continue to Leave Big Cities
By Janet Adamy and Paul Overberg
Sept. 26, 2019 12:01 am ET

Quote:
Large U.S. cities lost tens of thousands of millennial and younger Gen X residents last year, according to Census figures released Thursday that offer fresh signs of cooling urban growth.

Cities with more than a half million people collectively lost almost 27,000 residents age 25 to 39 in 2018, according to a Wall Street Journal analysis of the figures. It was the fourth consecutive year that big cities saw this population of young adults shrink. New York, Chicago, Houston, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Washington and Portland, Ore., were among those that lost large numbers of residents in this age group.

New York lost almost 38,000 people age 25 to 39 last year, a decline that was roughly twice the size that it experienced each of the previous three years. That drop coincided with the city’s first overall population decline in more than a decade in 2018.

Among the big cities that gained large numbers of young adults were Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Antonio, San Diego, Austin, Seattle, Denver and Columbus.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/millenn...es-11569470460

-----

I never ranked Sandton as a Boise or Tempe, it's just that I never heard of it, ever. I had to google map it and even then I was thinking, it must be the wrong Sandton, because how could anybody suggest that this could be 'the next Manhattan'.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 1:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Are you sure? There must be a reason why the Dutch and British fought over it so much. Has anyone really fought over Tempe?
Most likely -- but it's history that you prefer to not read nor research -- American Indian History.

The fertile Salt River Valley was the equivalent to the Fertile Crescent for ancient agricultural based human populations. Tempe is built on top of Hohokam ruins along the shore of the Salt River, with incredibly great silty soils, perfect for growing crops. Ancient canals increased the sprawl of the agricultural lands. Indian groups from the mountains would attack and raid these well off settlements. Trade was established all the way to the shores of the Gulf of California and the Pacific.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriandrade View Post

Literally only America actually matters though

Last edited by Xelebes; Sep 28, 2019 at 3:33 PM. Reason: no need to insult.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Here's some more up to date pictures of Sandton. Still very much a suburban node but it's building up over quickly - last time I walked through (this past May) it felt like constant construction. But then again just about every plot facing a major road in the Northern Suburbs of Joburg seemed to be putting up condos or small offices.

https://redirect.viglink.com/?format...kbrick.club%2F

https://redirect.viglink.com/?format...ewdevelopments
The tallest tower in the image is The Leonardo which is under construction

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 9:28 PM

It’s a shame Johannesburg CBD is not getting any action. It’s much more interesting than the autocentric nightmare Sandton is.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions