HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
Mendel? You mental? That will never happen.

Plenty of parking lots to build on first, why tear down buildings that are occupied, just for some offices....
This happens all the time. The City does not force developers to build on parking lots that they don't even own.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmx View Post
Before we put up a bunch of skyscrapers we need great designers. Any news about the U of S School of Architecture? To improve the skyline, I think will require significant homegrown talent.
Why can't architects from elsewhere design buildings for Saskatoon as happens almost everywhere else?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 8:31 PM

No mention of head offices in this announcement

http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/agriu...ived-1.3667022

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
This happens all the time. The City does not force developers to build on parking lots that they don't even own.
Nor does the city force developers to buy portions of shopping centres (ie Sears) to build office buildings.

Or art galleries (Mendel) that are already mark for redevelopment.....

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 10:02 PM

Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 6:05 PM

FTC approval was granted this morning and the merger is set to close on January 1st. CEO Chuck Magro will be living in Calgary with a secondary residence in Saskatoon.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 4:13 PM

Merger done but this article makes it sound like large office in Calgary and token head office in Saskatoon. Should have known that would happen.

http://www.ckom.com/2018/01/02/211328/

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
Merger done but this article makes it sound like large office in Calgary and token head office in Saskatoon. Should have known that would happen.

http://www.ckom.com/2018/01/02/211328/
That article means nothing whatsoever. Staff numbers will be increasing overall in Saskatoon.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 6:49 PM

Thanks Yeff, good to hear, you must have insider knowledge

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 8:28 PM

I am pretty sure that Potash Corp still has a large office in Chicago or Boston (whichever). I could see a number of those jobs being transfered into Saskatoon and Calgary downsizing that office. not immdeiately maybe but in the next year or 2.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatoonborn View Post
I am pretty sure that Potash Corp still has a large office in Chicago or Boston (whichever). I could see a number of those jobs being transfered into Saskatoon and Calgary downsizing that office. not immdeiately maybe but in the next year or 2.
That's a good point. Why have 3 "head" offices. I do think it is likely to evolve as Saskatoon being the potash and perhaps phosphate head office, Calgary being the Chief Executive Office and retail operation head office and Chicago being the U.S. branch office and chief sales office.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 10:49 PM

Nutrien has four Corporate offices in Saskatoon (registered head office), Calgary, Loveland, CO (outside Denver), and Northbrook, IL (outside Chicago). Northbrook will become primarily a sales office, and the company also has a significant footprint of retail offices and locations in North America and around the world, details of which can be found here:

https://www.nutrien.com/offices

Both Saskatoon and Calgary are expected to be strong going forward and continue to grow in size from what I've heard.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 11:48 PM

Thanks for the clarification Yeff!

Do you happen to know where most of the executives will have offices? I know Magro will have a primary office in Calgary with a second here in Saskatoon and Tilk will be primarily here. But everyone else is a mystery.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification Yeff!

Do you happen to know where most of the executives will have offices? I know Magro will have a primary office in Calgary with a second here in Saskatoon and Tilk will be primarily here. But everyone else is a mystery.
From what I understand the CEO and most of the execs will be in Calgary. I have seen this movie before in Regina with Wascana Energy, Ipsco/Evraz, Crown Life/Canada Life, etc. Once the CEO and senior execs are gone, it is never the same. Not only do these extremely wealthy people contribute a lot to the fabric of the community, but they also attract all sorts of outside consulting, legal, accounting and other support jobs or at least such people visiting the head office from elsewhere.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 4:26 PM

Brad Wall tweet touting 15% more corporate office jobs in Saskatoon following merger.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 4:40 PM

Well that sounds "good", but what number does 15% more translate into. I mean I guess it is much better then actually loosing positions, but is it enough to really celebrate the impact of the merger on Saskatoon? Not being sarcastic, it is a legit question that I am looking for feedback on.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Brad Wall tweet touting 15% more corporate office jobs in Saskatoon following merger.
Probably 15% more "new" positions to replace 15% of "old" jobs that were under the Potashcorp name. Same way the SP took credit for creating a "Growth and Financial Security Fund"
(by simply transferring all $1.3B that was in the existing rainy day fund under an account by a different named setup by the previous NDP governmet).

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 5:54 PM

Using the, somewhat dated, linked article as reference, PCS had about 300 corporate office jobs so 15% of that is ~45 more jobs and 11 senior executives which would make about 12 or 13 senior executives if they also increase by 15%.

Now currently there are 14 executives listed on the Nutrien website and with a dead split between who was formerly PCS and Agrium so I highly doubt that there will be 12 to 13 executives in Saskatoon. Executives of retail and Nitrogen will likely be in Calgary or somewhere in the US. I would be surprised if we gained executive jobs, I think we will be lucky to maintain between 9 and 11 honestly.

However 50 more people is a pretty good addition.

Edit: Good Point Arts.... hopefully no trickery also article I forgot

http://www.financialpost.com/potash+...584/story.html

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Using the, somewhat dated, linked article as reference, PCS had about 300 corporate office jobs so 15% of that is ~45 more jobs and 11 senior executives which would make about 12 or 13 senior executives if they also increase by 15%.

Now currently there are 14 executives listed on the Nutrien website and with a dead split between who was formerly PCS and Agrium so I highly doubt that there will be 12 to 13 executives in Saskatoon. Executives of retail and Nitrogen will likely be in Calgary or somewhere in the US. I would be surprised if we gained executive jobs, I think we will be lucky to maintain between 9 and 11 honestly.

However 50 more people is a pretty good addition.

Edit: Good Point Arts.... hopefully no trickery also article I forgot

http://www.financialpost.com/potash+...584/story.html
I don't see much reason to believe there will be more than a couple of execs in Saskatoon.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 8:42 PM

Sounds like the shell game, the FP article you showed from 2011 said PCS to increase jobs from 209 to 300 jobs by the end of 2013, but this article from today says they will increase corporate jobs by 15% to 300 jobs. So someone didn't meet their commitment but so we should trust what they say now?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...sask-1.4473228

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan