HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: Has the planning of the BRT been a complete failure?
Yes, we should have build it in the 80s 5 13.51%
Yes, we should have built an LRT line instead 17 45.95%
No. By some miracle, it may prove practical 15 40.54%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 4:50 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
We're not happy with being rail-roaded by Bowman. The BRT and now the dog-park. Is he a dictator? Why do we elect bad mayors?
Pretty sure BRT wasn't Bowman's idea.

Anyway, as has already been said in this thread - it's far too early to judge anything. It might work amazing. It might need improvement. We'll have to wait and see. In typical Winnipeg fashion, nothing constructive is offered, other than pie in the sky dreams that were never going to be.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 5:10 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Why do we elect bad mayors?
The "elite" such as George Soros, actively fund bad leaders, such as Hillary Clinton, Barrack Obama, etc...

So someone in the "elite", don't know who exactly, funds Mayoral candidates and they are usually the ones who end up winning.

Good leaders like David Sanders didn't have a chance, because the "elite" , backed by the Downtown Winnipeg BIZ, didn't want a Mayor Sanders, who would have immediately STOPPED the dogleg and BRT in general.

Sanders was a former newspaper reporter during the 1960s Metro era for the Trib. He worked for the Provincial gov't in Urban Affairs department.

Sanders was in support of rail transit. When he became very vocal about the dogleg, bmmmff...he's dead...from "cancer".

MIB must have gotten to David.

If someone must speak up for him now, it'll be ME.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 5:45 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
The "elite" such as George Soros, actively fund bad leaders, such as Hillary Clinton, Barrack Obama, etc...

So someone in the "elite", don't know who exactly, funds Mayoral candidates and they are usually the ones who end up winning.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 8:13 AM
Speak the truth, then run

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
Sanders was in support of rail transit. When he became very vocal about the dogleg, bmmmff...he's dead...from "cancer".
This checks out. Winnipeg HAD a rail transit system. Every single person involved in setting it up is.... dead.

Coincidence? I think not.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 9:30 AM
BANNED

Quote:
We're not happy with being rail-roaded by Bowman. The BRT and now the dog-park. Is he a dictator? Why do we elect bad mayors?
The BRT was implemented over a decade ago by Glen Murray. If Katz has not cancelled the funding, we probably would have had at least a couple of completed routes by 2017. Sam Katz also reroutes the Southwest BRT route, hence the dogleg. It is almost guaranteed corruption was involved, in the tweaking of the route.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
That's neat. I did that drawing back in the day. Was a bitch to do with the computers of the time. Memories. Thanks for posting it. The seating capacity for hockey was fudged to get over 15,000.
That was yours? I remember poring over that drawing in great anticipation of what was to come. It was a very exciting project... it broke a nearly decade-long dry spell of major new builds downtown.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 9:25 PM

I can't figure out if lilzebra believes most or all of the infowars crap he posts or if he is having fun with us.

I still remember the comments section of the Free Press being inundated with pro-Saunders comments in the run-up to the election. He seemed to be running on a campaign based solely on investigating the corruption at city hall with no vision for the city beyond this. Reading all those comments would give one the impression he was a serious candidate in the mayoral race. What did he end up getting? One percent of the vote?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That was yours? I remember poring over that drawing in great anticipation of what was to come. It was a very exciting project... it broke a nearly decade-long dry spell of major new builds downtown.
I seem to remember True Viking mentioning here or elsewhere that the true max capacity of MTS Centre was 14,800 upon opening. Guess with the addition of the loge seats and press box seats the "real capacity" is just a shade over 15,000 now.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
I can't figure out if lilzebra believes most or all of the infowars crap he posts or if he is having fun with us.

I still remember the comments section of the Free Press being inundated with pro-Saunders comments in the run-up to the election. He seemed to be running on a campaign based solely on investigating the corruption at city hall with no vision for the city beyond this. Reading all those comments would give one the impression he was a serious candidate in the mayoral race. What did he end up getting? One percent of the vote?
As I recall, David Sanders was a buck short and a day late with his campaign. He waited too long to jump into the race... had he done so early on and framed the election as an opportunity to take action against corruption, he could have won or at least had a strong finish. As it was, he was barely an also-ran.

That said, even though he ruffled a lot of feathers, I doubt this was a Viktor Yuschenko-style poisoning by political adversaries or whatever. He was older and it's not really a stretch to imagine him dying of natural causes.

It's too bad how things played out, he could have been a really good mayor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
I seem to remember True Viking mentioning here or elsewhere that the true max capacity of MTS Centre was 14,800 upon opening. Guess with the addition of the loge seats and press box seats the "real capacity" is just a shade over 15,000 now.
Where did the extra 200-ish seats come from? It's kind of funny that 15,000 was such an important psychological hurdle... even with the fudged number, the MTS Centre still had a smaller seating capacity on opening day than the Winnipeg Arena... I'm not sure what the significance of those extra 200 or so seats was.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Yeah, that's about where I am. It's hard to draw any conclusions regarding BRT at this point because we have maybe what, 3 small disconnected segments (Graham Ave., phase 1 SWBRT, Stadium station) that probably don't even add up to one third of the first leg complete yet. I never liked the dogleg much, but in the end it adds 1 measly km to the entire route so I have my doubts as to what impact that will have.

If there's any failure here I'd say it's a political failure that has led to this seemingly simple project being built in the most painfully and intractably drawn out process imaginable.
Esquire, you summed up my thoughts exactly.

After going for a drive and seeing the suburb developments in the south today after being out of Winnipeg for the last couple of years; you would think that they could dedicate some funds to get this BRT leg working right even just to avoid embarrassment.. Personally I would hate to see how the government will handle an LRT project.

Last edited by scryer; Jul 12, 2017 at 4:25 AM.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 3:46 PM

This forum has gone down hill pretty quick.

Bowman, a dictator? Elected by some conspiracy? give. me. a. break. Sounds like Trump thumpers invaded this forum. Try to have an intelligent conversation with any of them and all you'll get back is "but her emails".

If you have such strong opinions on stuff, go out and participate in public engagement. You can go to council meetings as a delegation to express all your thoughts and concerns directly to the councilors and mayor. You can be mayor if you want to as well. Just run in the next election. Sitting on this forum bitching about EVERYTHING. Typical Winnipeg downtrodden attitudes.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 5:34 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
This forum has gone down hill pretty quick.

Bowman, a dictator? Elected by some conspiracy? give. me. a. break. Sounds like Trump thumpers invaded this forum. Try to have an intelligent conversation with any of them and all you'll get back is "but her emails".

If you have such strong opinions on stuff, go out and participate in public engagement. You can go to council meetings as a delegation to express all your thoughts and concerns directly to the councilors and mayor. You can be mayor if you want to as well. Just run in the next election. Sitting on this forum bitching about EVERYTHING. Typical Winnipeg downtrodden attitudes.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 4:29 AM

This is so off-topic now, it hurts.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 5:57 AM

Keep it to the BRT discussion, non-related posts are going to be removed.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 8:40 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
Esquire, you summed up my thoughts exactly.

After going for a drive and seeing the suburb developments in the south today after being out of Winnipeg for the last couple of years; you would think that they could dedicate some funds to get this BRT leg working right even just to avoid embarrassment.. Personally I would hate to see how the government will handle an LRT project.
I'm just glad Katz won't be around to oversee it. For some reason the dogleg reroute really bothers me. The route of Phase II just seems so odd, cutting through the Parker Lands, then doing a 90 degree southward turn along Hydro towers, in the middle of a residential area.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan