HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 10:23 PM

Saskatoon Construction III

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 10:25 PM

A few previous Posts from the last thread. If anyone would like to edit past present or future projects in the OP please let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidson View Post
Agreed. No matter where these companies are from, it's great to see Sask. Based companies investing in projects to create jobs within the province. And as a former Regina guy now living in Saskatoon, I'm loving seeing some of my fav. Regina watering holes like Leeopold's and Cathedral Social House setting up shop here in YXE.

Regina gets the gov't town label but there a nice class of YQR entrepreneurs also investing in Saskatoon. As you say, a win-win for both cities and the province
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I agree and was clearly joking. A little sibling rivalry is fine. I have lived in Saskatoon and have a business there. I will be there the next few weekends. Love it. I follow this thread hoping to see the latest great development for Saskatoon and Saskatchewan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
I think most of us knew you were joking Stormer, lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
I bet Brandt sponsors the new arena downtown will probably call it the Brandt Centre
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
wouldnt surprise me lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by gowest View Post
Watching the live coverage of the bridge this morning. The two big backhoe operators are back again showing how to work together as a team. Worth looking at.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter12 View Post
Here is a very interesting article regarding the challenges facing public transit.

http://www.newgeography.com/content/...blic-that-s-us
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
Quote:
Interesting take on this topic. SaskTel Centre has done a remarkable job of sustain a 15,000 seat facility without the benefit of a major anchor tenant (I don't consider the Rush to be an anchor because they only play 9-10 home games per season). If there was a downtown arena in Saskatoon's future I could see potential for an AHL team to move here, though that would likely mean the Blades relocating elsewhere. I think the NHL is a pipe dream, at least as long as Bettman is commish. He's only interested in US markets.

On the other hand, Regina has the benefit currently of a deep-pocketed ownership group in QCPEG ( Semple's, et. al.) with motivation to upgrade or replace the Brandt Centre. I don't see a 15,000 seat arena being needed in Regina though. A modern 9,000-10,000 seater with luxury boxes & amenities would be suitable fir junior hockey, concerts and other events like the Brier.

Of course given current economics, I think the possibility of either city getting a new arena is many years away. But it's fun to speculate

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 3:50 AM

Thanks Cyro. I meant to put together a project compilation for the first post but have been too busy.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 8:02 PM

^ Cool Echoes. If you ever have the time or feel like doing it just post it and I'll add it to the OP...

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 6:41 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R9TiekxePo

Can you imagine all these Rush fans spilling out of Saskatoon's new downtown arena and heading to restaurants and pubs -- or going to restaurants and pubs before a Rush game? What an atmosphere it would create downtown.

(A guy can dream.)

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutopian View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R9TiekxePo

Can you imagine all these Rush fans spilling out of Saskatoon's new downtown arena and heading to restaurants and pubs -- or going to restaurants and pubs before a Rush game? What an atmosphere it would create downtown.

(A guy can dream.)
Absolutely right! Not a season ticket holder but will probably end up going to 5 games this year with the playoffs (going to 4th game this year tomorrow). There are 6 of us that all go together and we ALWAYS meet before the game for some food and beverages. Unfortunately, because of location of current arena we tend to head home after the game. I have no doubt we would also go for a beverage or 2 after the game if it was downtown given all the restaurant and pub options!

I too dream.....

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidson
Interesting take on this topic. SaskTel Centre has done a remarkable job of sustain a 15,000 seat facility without the benefit of a major anchor tenant (I don't consider the Rush to be an anchor because they only play 9-10 home games per season). If there was a downtown arena in Saskatoon's future I could see potential for an AHL team to move here, though that would likely mean the Blades relocating elsewhere. I think the NHL is a pipe dream, at least as long as Bettman is commish. He's only interested in US markets.

On the other hand, Regina has the benefit currently of a deep-pocketed ownership group in QCPEG ( Semple's, et. al.) with motivation to upgrade or replace the Brandt Centre. I don't see a 15,000 seat arena being needed in Regina though. A modern 9,000-10,000 seater with luxury boxes & amenities would be suitable fir junior hockey, concerts and other events like the Brier.

Of course given current economics, I think the possibility of either city getting a new arena is many years away. But it's fun to speculate
Would the Riders be considered anchor tenants for New Mosaic Stadium in Regina with only 10 games per season there?

Current Brandt Centre if filled in with seats to capacity would be 8,000 seats, I'm not sure spending over $100 million on a new arena with only a thousand more seats than current arena has would make sense.

I don't see new arena's being built in Regina or Saskatoon in the next couple decades either but it also takes a decade or so from inception-to-completion for most facilities so i'm not surprised about talk about new arenas

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 1:02 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Plus, I don't think the Blades would be relocated even if an AHL team were to move there. After all, Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver are doing pretty well at maintaining both their NHL and WHL teams.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 3:13 AM

Brandt Centre only seats about 6500. They are doing a reno/expansion for the 2018 Memorial Cup. But that is only about 500 more seats

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 View Post
Plus, I don't think the Blades would be relocated even if an AHL team were to move there. After all, Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver are doing pretty well at maintaining both their NHL and WHL teams.
Those cities aren't really comparable to Saskatoon, though. A better comparison would be Winnipeg with the Jets and Moose, and even then the city is three times the size of ours.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 4:40 AM

[QUOTE=SaskScraper;7767064]Would the Riders be considered anchor tenants for New Mosaic Stadium in Regina with only 10 games per season there?

An apples to oranges comparison. Mosaic Stadium is an outdoor facility which doesn't require HVAC on a 24/7/365 basis like an indoor facility like SaskTel Centre or Brandt Centre requires.

Yes, the offices, team facilities, Rider store, etc. inside Mosaic obviously need heating & air conditioning, but not the entire facility itself. The field can be dormant six months/year. Not so with an arena. Its needs more event dates to help cover operating costs (like a hockey team that plays minimum 36-40 home games/year).

Also not saying the Rush aren't an important and valuable tenant at SaskTel Centre, just that 8-12 home dates/season by itself doesn't justify a multi-hundred million dollar downtown arena. That's all.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 4:44 AM

Current Brandt Centre if filled in with seats to capacity would be 8,000 seats, I'm not sure spending over $100 million on a new arena with only a thousand more seats than current arena has would make sense.

[/QUOTE]

On that point, $278M was spent to build New Mosaic Stadium and it has the exact same seat count of 33,000 as the old Mosaic/Taylor Field. The priority is on amenities, fan experience and new revenue-generating opportunities like suites and luxury boxes.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 View Post
I would have to disagree. With the Rush drawing fans and with the size of the city, I don't think Saskatoon would be big enough to support the Blades, the Rush and an AHL team. Not enough population and corporate base to support that many teams.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchedmofu View Post
Brandt Centre only seats about 6500. They are doing a reno/expansion for the 2018 Memorial Cup. But that is only about 500 more seats
Brandt Centre is just about the right size for a junior hockey market. Too much bigger and you lose some of the urgency around scarcity of tickets. I'm sure the Blades would tell you SaskTel Centre, outside of a Memorial Cup, is too large a venue for them. The Edmonton Eskimos have the same issue with Commonwealth Stadium, 60,000 seats is too big for today's CFL. It's why the Riders didn't build capacity above 33,000.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 5:58 AM

Regina is missing out on alot of touring acts. I am behind the scene alot at Brandt Centre and the old barn is showing its age. The only way i can see a new barn being built is with private money. Other then that i dont think Regina will have a new facility.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 2:43 PM

This is a great read on what has revitalized American cities in the past 5 years - and boy have they revitalized, in Chicago alone 300,000 jobs moved downtown in the last 5 years, mainly thanks to corporations moving out of their small town offices. Things in the large centers usually happen 5-10 before centers like Saskatoon so maybe there's an opportunity for Saskatoon here. https://www.wsj.com/articles/chicago...sla=y&mod=e2fb

Bourgault I'm looking at you to come to Saskatoon.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 9:13 PM

I don't believe anyone was saying that the RUSH were 'anchor tenants' that justify a new arena downtown. They were simply used as one example of a stable draw of 15,000 over 10 games (150,000 people) plus playoffs, that could be injecting even more life into Saskatoon's downtown core if an arena existed there. Sasktel Centre ranks right up there as one of the busiest arena's in North America in terms of days booked per year for events. And certainly, continues to be THE facility in Saskatchewan for touring music acts (except for the large outdoor touring acts which will go to Mosaic).

It is just frustrating for those of us who go to RUSH games and major concerts here in Saskatoon at the inadequacy of the facility to handle large crowds and the total lack of additional entertainment options (i.e. restaurants, pubs, bars) in the vicinity.

It is not too early to talk of a new facility, given it will likely take 10 years. My god....look how long it is taking to get the 3,000 seat Uni arena built!!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 9:22 PM

^^Ditto what PrairieGuy said

Quote:
...not saying the Rush aren't an important and valuable tenant at SaskTel Centre, just that 8-12 home dates/season by itself doesn't justify a multi-hundred million dollar downtown arena. That's all.
Quote:
On that point, $278M was spent to build New Mosaic Stadium and it has the exact same seat count of 33,000 as the old Mosaic/Taylor Field. The priority is on amenities, fan experience and new revenue-generating opportunities like suites and luxury boxes.
8-12/yr Rush games doesn't require spending $100 million on downtown arena

8-12/yr Rider games did require $278 M priority on amenities, fan experience and new revenue-generating opportunities like suites and luxury boxes

completely makes sense..
I don't care either way, just seems like shakey logic.

Quote:
Originally posted by Davidson
..With the Rush drawing fans and with the size of the city, I don't think Saskatoon would be big enough to support the Blades, the Rush and an AHL team. Not enough population and corporate base to support that many teams.
Swift Current has enough population to support Broncos'. If Saskatoon population ever can't support the Blades they should move to The Battlefords where they can have a better chance with its better population/corporate base for "..new revenue-generating opportunities like suites and luxury boxes"

Last edited by SaskScraper; Apr 11, 2017 at 9:37 PM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 9:37 PM

Aren't the Broncos the biggest money losers in the CHL?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
If Saskatoon population ever can't support the Blades they should move to The Battlefords where they can have a better chance with its better population/corporate base for
What about Lloydminster, they are about double the size of the battlerfords are they not? probably have a better corporate base there too?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan