HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

740 North Rush in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 3:15 PM
The City

^ Why would they host a community presentation if this weren't a real proposal

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 4:23 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Well, not real perhaps in the sense that it has no 'real' chance of happening.....Timeshares? Seriously?? What is this, suburban Orlando, 1997?
Or, it's to throw out something that is just too tall for the NIMBYs so they will accept something similar to the earlier proposal......I hope!!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 4:23 PM
Chicago Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
this is some 80s corporate bullshit look. would rather have the rowhouses than this
signed

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
It looks shorter than 725' in that rendering.
I was thinking the same thing. The Fordham is 575' and they rendered the new proposal at more or less the same height--if not slightly lower.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashingLights View Post
signed
Keep the row homes. We are losing too much character in Chicago. This building is dime a dozen and looks very Dallas.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
^ Well, not real perhaps in the sense that it has no 'real' chance of happening.....Timeshares? Seriously?? What is this, suburban Orlando, 1997?
Or, it's to throw out something that is just too tall for the NIMBYs so they will accept something similar to the earlier proposal......I hope!!
Come on now Sam, you know why they are selling time shares... Winter is coming. That's the kind of behavior you expect when things get frothy. The stupid people are looking forward to get bent.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 12:55 PM
BANNED

^A rep from Hilton's timeshare division, Hilton Grand Vacations Club, recently told me they're going to be expanding into the Chicago market. Perhaps this is it.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 1:31 PM

It's the taxes, stupid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I might be turning NIMBY as I age here, but if another out of town developer is just going to try to plop down a tower on a blank podium, collect their returns, and scram, then we have a problem. We might as well put this screwed up Aldermanic prerogative system to some sort of good use by extracting some good concessions here.

Now I know that the usual fuckface brigade will be out there whining about parking and congestion, but if they can be ignored, some sound design changes should be pursued. Any project that has 8 floors of blank podium simply must be declared unacceptable from the get go.
With respect to the risk of being a 'NIMBY', it doesn't take a NIMBY to address the policy problem here. Since 2006 there have been a few designs proposed for this location under two Aldermen. Before Reilly, Burt Natarus bragged that he promoted these developments because this form of property tax receipt comes to the City first and can be spent immediately. Other forms of tax revenue go to Springfield first and that was no good according to the Alderman.

The last community meeting regarding this location (2014) was really well attended, contentious and showed Reilly that there were enough voters in the neighborhood to unseat him if he got it wrong. Eventually, he scuttled the plan.

Although the previous lack of parking was a main issue, it was not the only one. The congestion is real and even now, traffic backs up and gridlocks from the Michigan Ave./Superior intersection through Rush and approaching Wabash. Add 325 cars to that ecosystem and nobody can move.

The area is packed with UBER drivers trolling for riders. One recent day, six UBER cars crossed the Michigan Ave./Erie St. intersection in a row on one light.

Simply, the area can't afford another tower built with dumb money and creating gridlock. The local businesses suffer, and Reilly will get an earful about this at his next meeting on March 13th.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 2:16 PM

I remember visiting Chicago as a 17 year old HS senior. The first time I saw those row homes I remember thinking, "wow, how cool"... what a nice break in the forest. I also remember thinking how special Chicago is... what a city!... to have such a mix of high and low, old and new, density and respites. I just thought those row homes were the coolest thing.

Make no mistake, these row homes and their particular placement in this part of the city makes them special. I would personally hate to see them go but if they have to go, it must be for a design worthy of losing this special piece of Chicago history.

This current, cheap looking, Houstonian/Dallas design is simply not worth what we will be losing.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylusx View Post
With respect to the risk of being a 'NIMBY', it doesn't take a NIMBY to address the policy problem here. Since 2006 there have been a few designs proposed for this location under two Aldermen. Before Reilly, Burt Natarus bragged that he promoted these developments because this form of property tax receipt comes to the City first and can be spent immediately. Other forms of tax revenue go to Springfield first and that was no good according to the Alderman.

The last community meeting regarding this location (2014) was really well attended, contentious and showed Reilly that there were enough voters in the neighborhood to unseat him if he got it wrong. Eventually, he scuttled the plan.

Although the previous lack of parking was a main issue, it was not the only one. The congestion is real and even now, traffic backs up and gridlocks from the Michigan Ave./Superior intersection through Rush and approaching Wabash. Add 325 cars to that ecosystem and nobody can move.

The area is packed with UBER drivers trolling for riders. One recent day, six UBER cars crossed the Michigan Ave./Erie St. intersection in a row on one light.

Simply, the area can't afford another tower built with dumb money and creating gridlock. The local businesses suffer, and Reilly will get an earful about this at his next meeting on March 13th.
It's funny that you started off talking about taxes but then spent most of your post talking about cars.

Here's the deal. This area is lousy with parking lots. It's also a major tourist destination. Those are the things causing traffic in the area and this or any tower does nothing to hurt or help the "traffic problem." We're talking about a few hundred residences near a major transit stop and a couple of hundred time shares and hotels that will bring in people that want to be within walking distance of all that shopping. It's total NIMBY bs to say that a tower is going to cause a traffic nightmare when one already exists. If you don't like to drive in the area, then take a walk. I get wherever I want to go in River North in no time on my on two feet.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 2:51 PM

"WE NEED MORE PARKING"

"THIS BUILDING IS GOING TO CAUSE GRIDLOCK"

Two totally diametric statements. More parking = more gridlock. Also more Uber = less Gridlock and less parking. I can't believe that SIX whole uber cars once crossed the street in a row. It reminds me of the time that I saw TEN whole taxi cabs in a row in NYC! The horror!

This is a city, there are going to be back ups when you put in four way stop signs (let's talk about the absurdity of that for a second, what other massive metropolitan area has a whole district of stop signs one block off it's main shopping strip?). If you build more parking, that makes driving more convenient than walking or taking transportation. That means that as you add more parking you will see more cars on the street until the point at which the added convenience of more parking is outweighed by the inconvenience of the additional traffic. One way to deal with this problem is to have vehicles for hire patrolling the area delivering the convenience of a car without the hassle of driving one yourself. This is why taxis and ubers exist. The difference being that Ubers are directed by machine learning that routes them around obstructions and to the areas of greatest need. That is infinitely better than hordes of taxis wandering the city willy nilly hoping to see someone flailing their arms like an idiot trying to flag them down. Most uber's I've seen actually find a place to pull over while they are waiting for a request or wait in place wherever they dropped off their last ride rather than roam around burning fuel. Though with Uber it also seems like they are almost always immediately called to the next rider. Again, this means that their total fare efficiency is much higher than cabs which often drive around totally empty creating traffic. Ubers are almost constantly full meaning fewer drivers filling more transportation needs. That means less traffic in the aggregate.

PS: This building is ass ugly and should not be allowed to replace the historic lowrises.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylusx View Post

I'm reading this as "I don't want to change my lifestyle so therefore the city is not allowed to move forward or grow."

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 3:42 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Come on now Sam, you know why they are selling time shares... Winter is coming. That's the kind of behavior you expect when things get frothy. The stupid people are looking forward to get bent.

True - though this might be something you'd expect to see once the for-sale/condo market starts to get frothy locally (such as in the 00's boom, when you saw Several of those silly "condo hotels" pop-up.....aside - I'll never forget Peter Dumon's quote about that investment model/product type in a Crain's article a decade ago: "It's a business that is dependent on a moron buying your unit." Priceless, and wholly accurate.......), of which we are definitely not dealing with today - I don't think anyone would call today's downtown condo market frothy.....in fact I think it has plenty of runway remaining for solid if unspectacular growth.....

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 6:39 PM

Here's the prior SOM proposal, for reference

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 6:46 PM
you know where I'll be

^ So, so, so, so superior.....

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 7:36 PM
BANNED

yes that please but 650'

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 7:41 PM

no more podiums period

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 1:05 PM

This isn't growth....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiHi View Post
I'm reading this as "I don't want to change my lifestyle so therefore the city is not allowed to move forward or grow."
This building wouldn't represent growth or moving forward. The same proposal has been made at least three times, always involved tearing down the row houses (some of which are architecturally significant) and putting up a cookie-cutter glass tower. Not all buildings are progress. There might be a place for this design, but only if it improves the area. That community meeting will be packed with residents of the Fordham, 30 E. Huron, and others that will be negatively impacted.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 2:33 PM

stylusx, why do you bother? You have been an occasional NIMBY presence on these threads since 2007 and have consistently spewed the most ignorant opinions which have never been well received and have been consistently, and repeatedly, knocked down...

clearly you live in this neighborhood because you have never contributed to a discussion in any other... the NIMBY trolling is just so tiresome

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 2:53 PM
devout Pizzatarian

People who, of their very own free will, CHOOSE to live right in the very middle of the largest, densest, and busiest urban metropolis in the interior of the entire freaking continent and then proceed to complain about traffic and congestion are some of the most bewildering people in the history of our human race.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive