HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
That piedmont proposal is better than I anticipated. Instead of being an exposed podium it could be wrapped retail. Ensure the facade is brick and glsss and this would be a great addition despite its height. That said, I disagree with the DRC and find the height to be fitting of its location.
Exposed parking on the park- awful-- The overall building design is clumsy as well. Back to the drawing board-- perhaps they should hire a real architect? ;-)

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge View Post
Exposed parking on the park- awful-- The overall building design is clumsy as well. Back to the drawing board-- perhaps they should hire a real architect? ;-)
What if it turns out the white exterior was brick and the exposed parking (only on the first floor it appears?) was also walled off with brick? If that was the case, I’d say this was one of the better proposals we’ve seen for multi family residential in years in Atlanta.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
What if it turns out the white exterior was brick and the exposed parking (only on the first floor it appears?) was also walled off with brick? If that was the case, I’d say this was one of the better proposals we’ve seen for multi family residential in years in Atlanta.
Blank walls on the street across from the park-- no thanks--
needs to be an active space per Midtown Zoning. The state of the rendering also indicates that the design is not very well developed-
If the developer is unable or unwilling to pay for a real rendering at this point (DRC public hearing) then they are unlikely to spend
to produce a very nice building-- I am, however, basically OK with the scale.

Last edited by Verge; Oct 11, 2018 at 2:39 PM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 5:53 PM

These Metropolis (assuming the poster lives there) NIMBYs are really getting hilarious

Via nextdoor:

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster87 View Post
These Metropolis (assuming the poster lives there) NIMBYs are really getting hilarious

Via nextdoor:
Quick Google Search for that name and "ATLANTA" and he lives and/or sublets a condo nearby at Viewpoint and there's also a record that he had an address at Metropolis at some point.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctk2014 View Post
Quick Google Search for that name and "ATLANTA" and he lives and/or sublets a condo he owns nearby at Viewpoint.
Man these NIMBY's are a PITA. Highly doubt they're the really progressive constituents of Atlanta.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctk2014 View Post
Quick Google Search for that name and "ATLANTA" and he lives and/or sublets a condo nearby at Viewpoint and there's also a record that he had an address at Metropolis at some point.

Amusing-- In a sad sort of way...

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster87 View Post

Via nextdoor:

ridiculous!

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 8:20 PM

You're going to get a few people with alternate views in any sample size. I really don't think he will have much support from his neighbors though.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyslam View Post
You're going to get a few people with alternate views in any sample size. I really don't think he will have much support from his neighbors though.
Of course he won't. LOL The argument that Midtown can't handle more high rise development is actually quite a hilariously absurd argument.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Man these NIMBY's are a PITA. Highly doubt they're the really progressive constituents of Atlanta.
You know, I just had an argument about why the city is better for the environment with a very liberal lady the other day...I am conservative as it comes. The more I learn about urban design, politics, and people in general...I've come to the realization that people don't fit into nicely created boxes, even if most people do most of the time.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyslam View Post
His issue (although not stated) is that he will lose his view (or a good part of it). I think some in Metropolis and Viewpoint may have the same issue. Personally, people need to understand that vacant lots and views are not permanent - so buyer beware.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbab View Post
A permit was filed today for consolidation of the parcels involved in Cousins West Peachtree Tower between 7th and 8th Streets. It is nice to see some visible movement on this one.
The businesses in that strip mall closed recently.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
The businesses in that strip mall closed recently.
bring on construction! Daiquiri factory still needs to close, but we may be on our way to seeing a new nice sized office tower in midtown.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrptree View Post
His issue (although not stated) is that he will lose his view (or a good part of it). I think some in Metropolis and Viewpoint may have the same issue. Personally, people need to understand that vacant lots and views are not permanent - so buyer beware.
It's amazing in Atlanta the only street (and areas) in this booming metropolis you can find a truly urban street presence is downtown's Peachtree Street.

I define "urban street presence" as 4 or more blocks of urban streetscape on both sides of the street that is NOT interrupted by a surface parking lot.
Currently, that type of development can only be found along Peachtree street between Baker Street and MLK Boulevard.

Even my hometown of Charlotte has several streets in Uptown that meets this standard.

Atlanta is great and becoming more urban rapidly, but the city cannot realize it's full potential if we reserve surface parking lots for suburban-minded people who oppose highrise development just because they got there first.

Even with all the new development happening in Midtown, you still can't walk 4 blocks without encountering a f'ing surface parking lot.

The NIMBYs need to get over themselves in this city.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLMidcity View Post
I define "urban street presence" as 4 or more blocks of urban streetscape on both sides of the street that is NOT interrupted by a surface parking lot.
Currently, that type of development can only be found along Peachtree street between Baker Street and MLK Boulevard.

Not that I disagree with your point, but there are more areas that meet your standards. Peachtree from Ellis Street all the way down to MLK (past Five Points) doesn't have surface. Granted, a park and the plaza break up development.

Marietta St / Decatur St runs uninterrupted between Pryor and Ted Turner. I'm sure there are some other areas.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_J View Post
Not that I disagree with your point, but there are more areas that meet your standards. Peachtree from Ellis Street all the way down to MLK (past Five Points) doesn't have surface. Granted, a park and the plaza break up development.

Marietta St / Decatur St runs uninterrupted between Pryor and Ted Turner. I'm sure there are some other areas.
Also, I think West Peachtree from 3rd to 7th with the buildout of the CODA/MetLife, etc buildings no longer has surface parking along that stretch.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_J View Post

I have to chime in...I've mention this before a few years ago. We really need to put more skyscrapers Downtown to get that urban experience. I hate that when watching a Falcons game, that 90% of the views is just Downtown. Never Midtown/Buckhead. The skyline always looks small. I love the marketing that Midtown is where the young professionals live...we all know that most of the owners by percentage is actually empty nesters.I would love to have the area where the nightlife is bustling. You see people walking leaving restaurants, bars, lounges, etc. And having the option to have a drink here and walk 50 to a hundred feet and have a different place to have a drink. And when you can literally go 5 blocks in either direction. That's urban..IMO.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
I have to chime in...I've mention this before a few years ago. We really need to put more skyscrapers Downtown to get that urban experience. I hate that when watching a Falcons game, that 90% of the views is just Downtown. Never Midtown/Buckhead. The skyline always looks small. I love the marketing that Midtown is where the young professionals live...we all know that most of the owners by percentage is actually empty nesters.I would love to have the area where the nightlife is bustling. You see people walking leaving restaurants, bars, lounges, etc. And having the option to have a drink here and walk 50 to a hundred feet and have a different place to have a drink. And when you can literally go 5 blocks in either direction. That's urban..IMO.
This is why I want to see it built up more in Downtown and between Downtown and the EST (while preserving the historic fabric of the neighborhoods) and Castleberry Hill. The closer proximity between residential, entertainment, and work life options, the better it will be for Atlanta overall. That said though, we have some amazing nightlife/entertainment options that aren't close by to downtown. "West Midtown", EAV, L5P, Buckhead Village, all of which none are that close or connected well with transit. If 1/4 of those entertainment options were in Midtown or Downtown, Atlanta would a whole other level of beastmode.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 5:00 PM

Land Development permit was filed today for 901 West Peachtree (8th @ West)

Quote:
THE "8TH AT WEST" PROJECT PROPOSES TO BUILD A 31-STORY HIGHRISE OFFICE TOWER WITH GROUND FLOOR RETAIL ANDINTEGRAL STRUCTURED PARKING. THE PROPOSED PROJECT CONSISTS OF 485,000 S.F. OF OFFICE SPACE, 6000 S.F. OF GROUND FLOOR RETAIL AND 637 PARKING SPACES. THE SCOPE OF WORK INCLUDED IN THIS SET INCLUDES THE ASSOCIATED STREETSCAPE, DRIVEWAYS, UTILITIES, GRADING, STORM WATER MANAGEMENT AND LANDSCAPING TO SERVE THE PROPOSED DEVELOPMENT. SAP 18 086
https://aca3.accela.com/ATLANTA_GA/C...howInspection=

Also, Demo permits were filed for the same site.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations