HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 10:48 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
the apartment buildings behind it have structural problems
nice display pic, btw!

They could definitely at least paint them up. Maybe try street retail again.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 2:37 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
nice display pic, btw!

They could definitely at least paint them up. Maybe try street retail again.
the apartment blocks problems are structural

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 3:28 PM

So with all of the construction taking place downtown these days, has anyone heard whether the pad sites at Portage Place are being considered for any kind of development, be it condo, hotel or office? Or would no one be seriously willing to consider living/working/staying at Portage Place anymore?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 4:09 PM

Haven't heard anything, can we start all over again? lol..

We've talked about how it's dieing a slow death with retail and going to more commercial/office use.
Can we have both? I should say will both work? Putting office space on the 2 pad sites? I don't see residential, the preferred option for obvious reasons working being built over a dieing mall..

You spend a fiar bit of time in/out of PP, what do you actually see working?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 4:15 PM

Turn Portage Place into an indoor water park. Build a hotel and/or residential building on the pad.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 5:26 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

I would remove 80% of the seating in the food court.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 5:52 PM

Heard there is a plan coming for Portage Place but wasn't able to get details. Sounded like they could be changing the direction of the project.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 5:56 PM

Die Hard Something. Watch it blow up good.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 10:27 PM

It's funny because Portage Place is actually pretty well designed from an urban perspective, it's the environment that it's in that doesn't allow it to function to its best abilities.

There's street-fronting CRU entrances all along Portage, major entrances line up with streets, the Vaughn side has the Y to anchor it; the Promenade has retail all along it, with residential above (and has just been cleaned up a bit), and it has good connections to other buildings and great transit access.

Before anything gets built on the pad sites, I'd actually prefer to see some mixed-use and mixed-income residential buildings go up on the surface lots on the Ellice side. I think that would be a better first step and do more good for the area as a whole.

There's obviously a lot of environmental and societal issues at stake here that prevent it from being better, but I do think over time PP is "salvageable" in its current physical form.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 1:15 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Since we're blue skying..

I'd move the Palomino Club to Edmonton court, throw up the Neon Horse sign outside at the front of the mall to create a sense of excitment and wonder about what's going on inside.. The $12 hot dog cart would be a permanant fixture along Portage Ave. outside...and they would then proceed to bring back booty shake thursdays and / or install a mechanical bull somewhere inside.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 1:39 AM

I would consider making it a heavy office/residential mix, and maybe with some small street-side retail outlets to... gonna catch some controversy for this, but to flush out the problem. Let's be real.

Then I would try to relocate those stores lost in the mall to an area around the old Bay building to try and liven up that area with more action. And then the Bay can try catch some spill-over business.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 2:49 AM

Keep it warm for TNSE when they need to build a larger 17,500 seat arena in 20 years which will be 2/3s funded by the taxpayers.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 3:41 AM

I don't wanna get into the whole grocery store debate again... But it'd actually make a lot of sense to have one in there. I'm sure PP would lower their rental rate to bring in something like that if there was a semi-interested party, as it would dramatically increase traffic in the mall. Yes, the mall is actually pretty busy during the day, but it's mostly people walking through it to get somewhere else, or paying their phone bill. The added traffic could attract some better retailers.

If a store like Save-On-Foods wants to make a big PR splash when entering the Winnipeg market, that would be the way to do it. MAYBE, move the food court into centre court area, and open up the old food court space for a grocery store, maybe a similar setup to Staples. Imagine that, a mall with an anchor at each end.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 4:34 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Keep it warm for TNSE when they need to build a larger 17,500 seat arena in 20 years which will be 2/3s funded by the taxpayers.
Yup. Those crooks at TNSE hey. You may want to get your facts in funding correct. Or maybe you were referring to that stadium 100% funded by the tax payers and does nothing for the city.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
There's street-fronting CRU entrances all along Portage, major entrances line up with streets
The design of the Portage Place street-fronting CRU was flawed from the start. The reason most of the street entrances are no longer used is the spaces ended up lacking the backroom space almost every CRU uses. Further, the dual entrances created theft and overall security issues for the retail. Look at Shoppers that is still relatively new to Portage Place. They tried to due the street entrance correct and have a cashier stationed right there. That didn't last very long before it went back to permanently closed.

In terms of TNSE and their location for an MTS Centre replacement downtown, that is clearly why The Bay is still holding on to the thin premise that they are operating a store downtown.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
The design of the Portage Place street-fronting CRU was flawed from the start. The reason most of the street entrances are no longer used is the spaces ended up lacking the backroom space almost every CRU uses. Further, the dual entrances created theft and overall security issues for the retail. Look at Shoppers that is still relatively new to Portage Place. They tried to due the street entrance correct and have a cashier stationed right there. That didn't last very long before it went back to permanently closed.

In terms of TNSE and their location for an MTS Centre replacement downtown, that is clearly why The Bay is still holding on to the thin premise that they are operating a store downtown.
Is The Bay site big enough for a new arena? Seems it's narrower than the existing site. Lots of room if PP was used with the land behind it to Ellice.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 3:40 PM

^ Is a replacement for the MTS Centre really in the cards? Part of TNSE's supposed genius on their approach to bringing the NHL back to Winnipeg is having a smaller arena that sells out constantly with a long waiting list for tickets. Even in other cities like Edmonton the increase in seating in the new building is fairly marginal. But that said, if it actually happens I'd imagine the wheels won't start turning for at least another decade, and then it's probably at least another 5 years for design and construction.

In theory I'm OK with using the Portage Place site for a new arena if that's what it came to, but would it even fit on that site? And if it fits, aren't there an awful lot of going concerns standing in the way that would need to be purchased and closed to make way for an arena? Between the mall, the offices, the parkade, the several apartment blocks, Prairie Theatre Exchange, the Y and whatever else, that's an awful lot standing in the way. I'm not sure that it would be viable.

As for The Bay, isn't it just as narrow as the MTS Centre's site? In other words, it confers no real advantage over the existing arena site. I'm not sure that it would work there either.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Have to agree with your take on the layout/problems with the CRU'S security etc. It may have worked for a time, but it just won't fly in today's environment.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 3:47 PM

^ I don't think the storefront entrances lasted a year. For what it's worth Portage Place wasn't alone in that regard, Eaton Centre in Toronto had the same thing for many years... locked doors facing Yonge St.

Incidentally I noticed the signs up for Dollarama's grand opening, July 19 IIRC? It also looks like longstanding tenant Le Chateau is winding down.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 3:53 PM

Wasn't aware of other centres with the same problem, guess we're not alone in this regard..

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan