HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Feb 13, 2016, 12:17 AM

Yeah, that surprised me a little bit.

Also, that delay on the hotel worries me...

It does sound like an actual reasonable reason for a delay, but given Kelowna's track history with delays, i am on pins and needles.

On the flip side, nice to hear that there may be light at the end of Lucaya tunnel.

If i could just see the Lucaya tower built (now Grace?), the Sopia tower built, and this hotel tower move forward, I would be incredibly happy and it they would really solidify the skyline.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2016, 10:35 PM

Quote:
According to the KelownaNow website, Kelowna was the fastest growing metro per capita from July 2014 to July 2015.
That's surprising. Must be all retirees cause I just read an article on msn that Kelowna is the worst place in Canada to find a job at the moment. The unemployment rate has apparently sky rocketed as of late.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2016, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VantageHD View Post
That's surprising. Must be all retirees cause I just read an article on msn that Kelowna is the worst place in Canada to find a job at the moment. The unemployment rate has apparently sky rocketed as of late.
there are plenty of factors in that unemployment rate which should be taken in context of what is happening. Kelowna has had many former albertans who decided years ago to move there and continue to work in the AB market.

When AB hit the skids, it left many of these transplants without the strong social ties which lead to employment in their current location. Thus they remain unemployed adding to the numbers...

FWIW, I'm in Kelowna at the moment for a job interview. It is something I was never able to get in Calgary(I'm originally from Victoria), yet here they need my particular skill set.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 4:09 PM
of Canada

All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 8:35 PM
BANNED

^Huh?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 9:37 PM
of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
^Huh?
Well, it's not the best image but that's definitely it.
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 1:27 AM

Fred is dead.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 3:55 AM

you found fred!

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 3:11 PM
of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOSS View Post
you found fred!
Well, as much as I'd like to take credit for that...

http://infotel.ca/newsitem/forty-foo...n-farm/it27459

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 9:46 PM
Urban Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
I liked having the theatre there, brought a little texture / mixture to the area. Having every movie screen in a big box multiplex is not actually a good thing.

Either way, the sign must remain. That is a landmark and i really hope it is not removed / altered.
Glad to see Craft expanding and picking a good location too. They are a solid establishment: http://craftbeermarket.ca/
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo Fan View Post
It appears the Paramount Theatre on Bernard is being redeveloped and changed into a "Craft" beer bar

Not really a big fan of CRAFT nor the design, but it will be good for Kelowna to have more places to eat and drink downtown by the waterfront. Also, I am glad that it looks like they are keeping the sign and the facade on the left hand side of the old theatre.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 10:14 PM
Urban Advocate

Design is fairly standard across their brand. Many design similarities to their Edmonton establishment: street view here.

Either way, you are correct, it will be good for Kelowna.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 7:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWin View Post
Well, as much as I'd like to take credit for that...

http://infotel.ca/newsitem/forty-foo...n-farm/it27459
OMG, I remember going here in the 90s as a kid.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 11:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWin View Post
Well, it's not the best image but that's definitely it.
By, "Huh?" I mean't I have absolutely no idea what the picture is of, or what "40 Foot Fred" is, so let me put it another way, what the fuck are you talking about?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2016, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
By, "Huh?" I mean't I have absolutely no idea what the picture is of, or what "40 Foot Fred" is, so let me put it another way, what the fuck are you talking about?
This sign used to welcome visitors to Flinstone's Bedrock City which was next to Wild Waters Waterslides where The Grand Theatres now stand in Kelowna.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2016, 2:21 AM

The Okanagan need a new major water park. Seriously can't believe that there is only one tiny waterslide park left in the entire valley (Vernon).

Old Posted Feb 21, 2016, 3:10 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOSS View Post
This sign used to welcome visitors to Flinstone's Bedrock City which was next to Wild Waters Waterslides where The Grand Theatres now stand in Kelowna.
Thank you

Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Downtown highrise proposal revived

Construction is expected to start within a few months on a 21-storey highrise in downtown Kelowna.

The Grace tower on Sunset Drive will have 155 suites, with prices likely to begin at about $230,000 for one-bedroom suites on lower floors. Two-bedroom units, many of which will have views of Okanagan Lake, will start at $325,000.

“We plan on opening a sales office in Prospera Place in April, with construction to start soon after that,” Don Warkentin of Kelowna-based Fortune Marketing said Sunday.

“I think it’s going to be mostly locals interesting in buying a suite in the tower,” said Warkentin, whose company is promoting the building on behalf of Jingon, the Richmond company that owns the development site.

“You’ve got 800-900 people who’ll soon be working at the new Interior Health building in downtown Kelowna, and another 300 or so at the Innovation Centre, and I think a lot of them are going to be very interested in walking to work,” Warkentin said.

Once construction begins, it should take about 22-24 months to complete the project, Warkentin said.

While Jingon is in Richmond, its ownership is in China. The company bought the Sunset Drive development site out of receivership for $3.8 million in 2012.

Original plans for the property, then owned by a Calgary firm, were for 92 luxury suites in a 21-storey tower marketed under the name Lucaya. However, after the underground parking and foundation were built, the project fell into receivership in 2008 when the recession started.

Construction firm Ledcor has been hired by Jingon, and Kelowna-based Meiklejohn Architects is reconfiguring the original building drawings into the new design.

“Basically, the building will have smaller units at a lower price than was the plan with Lucaya,” Warkentin said. “I think this will be a great project to help with the ongoing revitalization of downtown Kelowna as an attractive place to work and live.”

No rezonings or other approvals from city council are necessary, because the relevant permissions were already issued for the Lucaya project.

Highrise projects are sometimes announced but then remain in abeyance or are withdrawn by the applicant later on.

For example, Vancouver-based Aquilini Group had plans in 2009 for a 26-storey tower on Bernard Avenue, and twin towers of 22 and 30 storeys, known as the Monaco, were to have been built at the corner of Doyle Avenue and St. Paul Street.

Argus Properties had plans for a 26-storey hotel at the corner of Manhattan Drive and Sunset Drive, but that project foundered in 2014, in part as a result of a dispute with the city over parking.

Warkentin said he is confident market response to The Grace tower will be strong, and that Jingon will go ahead with the planned highrise.

“Kelowna is different than it was in 2008,” Warkentin said. “It’s a growing city, with a lot of young professionals, and the well-priced suites in this project should be very attractive to them.”
http://m.kelownadailycourier.ca/busi....html?mode=jqm

Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 7:42 PM

More Interchanges Coming to Hwy 97 in West Kelowna at Boucherie and Westlake/Hudson

http://www.castanet.net/news/West-Ke...changes-coming

This news is welcome and unexpected. Public consultations are happening March 2nd 4-8pm at Super 8 Motel and March 3rd 4-8pm at Sensisyusten Multi Purpose Facility. I will attend one of them and take photos of the concepts.

City of West Kelowna mayor Doug Findlater is not happy with this plan saying he does not want to turn West Kelowna to a city of interchanges. But I can assure everyone that most of the residents of West Kelowna were calling for these changes. The highway is often backed up at both intersections AM and PM, and accidents frequently occur at Westlake/Hudson.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 12:25 AM

I really really hope that tower gets built. Will be so great to finaly comlete that tower and remove the foundation eyesore that has sat there for 8 years...

I also really hope the hotel gets off the group as well. Would ba amazing to have 2 or 3 towers u/c at the same time in Kelowna.

Also, good news on the interchanges. I really hope the mayor is aware this has been planned for a very long time (one can even clearly see in the Google Earth image above that the land zoning around those intersections have been planned with future interchanges in mind).

Also, we are talking about West Kelowna here, maybe the worst planned community in the Okanagan. There really should be a freeflow link connecting Kelowna propoer to the Connector. This will get it that much closer. South of these interchanges though a bypass will have to be constructed around downtown West Kelowna.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia