HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 2:52 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
Pilsen is great, and the Mexican art museum is wonderful. I guess it's cool, but also in major transition
Sure is

Pilsen won’t be recognizable in about 10 years

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 4:39 AM

Astoria?

It's not even the coolest neighborhood in Queens. It's not ascendant in any way, really.

It's always been just a nice, stable neighborhood convenient to Midtown Manhattan (which by the way, is also terrible...as in boring.

Most NY neighborhoods that are "cool" essentially extend from their predecessors. Williamsburg is 1 stop east of the East Village on the L train. East Williamsburg is east of Williamsburg. Bushwick east of East Williamsburg and Ridgewood east of Bushwick.

Heading in the other direction, down Flatbush Avenue you pass through Downtown Brooklyn (newly "hip", thus an exception), Ft Greene, Park Slope/Prospect Heights, Crown Heights, Prospect Lefferts, Kensington, Ditmas Park, Flatbush, etc. (These are essentially gentrifying in subsequent order...the Kings Theater in Flatbush being the latest affirmation it is becoming an "it" neighborhood).

East on the A, you go through Ft Greene, Clinton Hill, Bed Stuy, to converge back in Ridgewood Queens at Broadway Junction ish. I wouldn't be surprised if Cypress Gardens didn't become "hot" in the next couple years, as there are already murmurs about parts of East New York (the northern bits near Easter Parkway) getting hot as well.

South on the F and B,D you essentially go through Cobble Hill, Carroll Gardens, Gowanus, South Park Slope, Greenwood Heights, Sunset Park, etc.

Nobody is leaving the Upper East Side, Sutton Place, or Roosevelt Island to move to Astoria. And if they are, they are not people who anyone considers trend setters.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 5:53 AM

I have a hard time believing that Dogpatch is the coolest neighborhood in San Francisco.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 1:32 PM

3rd&Brown, you know zero about what is happening in Astoria apparently. By your logic Greenpoint is one stop north of Williamsburg, LIC is one stop north of Greenpoint, and Astoria is one stop north of LIC.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 10:35 PM

I won’t pretend to know all of these cities intimately enough to judge, but they aren’t even close with Paris, London or NYC.

Copenhagen only has like four neighbourhoods so I guess it had to be Vesterbro or Nørrebro.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 1:15 AM

the even cooler neighborhoods are ones we've probably never even heard of yet. if it get on a list like this, it means suburbanites probably wont get murdered there and you now have the privilege of paying 10 dollars for an artisan coffee....

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 1:25 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
I won’t pretend to know all of these cities intimately enough to judge, but they aren’t even close with Paris, London or NYC.

Probably not your scene, but Peckham has been trendy for years now (given how fast things change in London, I'm actually surprised to still be seeing it as the "next big thing" in 2019).

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Probably not your scene, but Peckham has been trendy for years now (given how fast things change in London, I'm actually surprised to still be seeing it as the "next big thing" in 2019).
I know Peckham. There are a few good restaurants - Levan, Begging Bowl, Nape (though I think that closed and was really more Camberwell). I’ve been to the rooftop bar at the Bussey building.

But it’s too “suburban south London” to be the coolest neighbourhood in the city. Nothing south of the river can ever hold that distinction.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 6:43 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
I know Peckham. There are a few good restaurants - Levan, Begging Bowl, Nape (though I think that closed and was really more Camberwell). I’ve been to the rooftop bar at the Bussey building.

But it’s too “suburban south London” to be the coolest neighbourhood in the city. Nothing south of the river can ever hold that distinction.

As mentioned though, the point of this is just to bring attention to interesting neighbourhoods that may still be a bit off the beaten path. It'd be kind of pointless to have a list with Dalston or Shoreditch on it year after year.

I wouldn't say Peckham is at all suburban either - it looks pretty much the same as anywhere else in Inner London (beyond the immediate city centre of course).

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 11:54 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

many of these so called hip nabes named have been hip for 20yrs, so they cant be the hippest place anymore. i mean old havana, tanjong pagar, kadikoy, astoria - really? more like they attract tourists, move ins and young people and are fun, nice and safe, but not anything like what hip used to mean, which was more like cutting edge/super early gentrification. like for nyc pick something like stapleton, port morris or broadway junction, not safety city astoria. to be fair i guess you cant expect foreign publications to be up on this, much less most locals.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
It's only going to get cooler (and less affordable) after Robert DeNiro builds Wildflower Studios over by the Steinway piano factory, which will be designed by Bjarke Ingels: https://www.6sqft.com/robert-de-niro...lm-in-astoria/

Wow, I hadn't heard about that. It looks amazing.

In regards to whether Astoria is cool, I moved away from nearby Sunnyside almost seven years ago so I can't say. Astoria wasn't cool back then but neither was Sunnyside--that's for damn sure--but I loved it anyway. Still miss that view from our apartment. We could see all the way from the Verrazano to the Triboro and everything in between.

Then again, I f you feel--as I do--that coolness, especially in New York, hides in the interstitium of the mundane; then places like Astoria are super cool

Old Posted Oct 6, 2019, 11:10 PM

Hey pico, thanks for responding. I totally agree that Astoria and Sunnyside weren't cool until recently, at least outside of New York. Sunnyside Gardens along Skillman Avenue has seen a lot of changes in terms of the increase in great restaurants, bars, etc. Anyone who hasn't been to Sunnyside Gardens should explore it; it's a gem. I moved to Astoria from Cobble Hill ~13 years ago and I definitely was biased about moving from such a snobby, brownstone-Brooklyn nabe to something more eclectic. I'm happy that the physical changes in Astoria haven't changed the character of the area (yet), which is the most neighborly and friendly I've experienced in my 20 years in New York which include Chelsea, Carroll Gardens, Cobble Hill and Astoria.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico44 View Post

Then again, I f you feel--as I do--that coolness, especially in New York, hides in the interstitium of the mundane; then places like Astoria are super cool
“hides in the interstitium of the mundane”

Love it

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 11:03 PM

Filippinotown is a bit bogging. It’s not that great and I frequent that area regularly. I would have certainly gone with some choices that may seem a bit obvious at the moment but for good reason:

DTLA
Atwater Village
Eagle Heights
Arts District
Hollywood (yes, the Hollywood comeback has been exciting to watch first hand)

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prahaboheme View Post
Filippinotown is a bit bogging. It’s not that great and I frequent that area regularly. I would have certainly gone with some choices that may seem a bit obvious at the moment but for good reason:

DTLA
Atwater Village
Eagle Heights
Arts District
Where is Eagle Heights? Did you mean Eagle Rock?

I love Atwater, but would definitely not call it the coolest neighborhood in LA, let alone one of the coolest in the world. The obviously 'cool' neighborhoods in LA are Venice, Silver Lake, Echo Park, Downtown, Arts District, maybe the Fairfax area. I'd say Koreatown and Chinatown are the up and coming cool areas.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 12:30 AM
The New Republic

The only consideration seems to be that their new list be different than the last list they produced. It's really just a list of places they felt like doing a piece on.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 12:49 AM

Astoria is the coolest. No other nabe can claim Archie Bunker as its patron saint.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 5:21 PM

Our patron saint is actually Tony Bennett.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 7:10 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

I’m sure if Astoria was in Toronto we would have 50 threads about it, high rez aerials posted frequently, and complaints about why isn’t it listed as one of the worlds coolest neighborhoods (must be the ignorant American media)

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prahaboheme View Post

DTLA
Atwater Village
Eagle Heights
Arts District
Hollywood is amazing right now. Go there often. The Walk of Fame is still whatever, but the rest is pretty cool. People love to base their opinions on that one strip.
I can't wait until all these new hotels open up.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions