HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Libeskind Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Los Angeles Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Los Angeles Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 1:23 AM
BANNED

^thank you. in a city where many buildings, including residential, are designed specifically for billboards, and where billion dollar megadevelopments attempt to simulate times square in sanitized, inorganic, cosmetic form it's nice to hear some people can have some reservations if at all. LA can be ugly enough without all this aging plastic simulacra and other cheap attempts at being something it is not

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 8:36 PM
Ascension

Not only that, but when (if) this building is built, if the base is lit up the way it is on the rendering (I'm guessing that's the south side of the building) then I think it will be enough.

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 9:30 PM
Bombshell Vintage

Billboards can be great features for the city. Look at the entertainment areas of Tokyo, for example. When all the billboards are lit up at night it becomes other-worldly. That said, the podium on this tower is where Libeskind really went wrong. He basically just jizzed out a few X's like he's some kind of architectural Zorro or something and called it a signature building. The article makes some very good points that mega-tower developments aren't really contributing the right kind of variety that downtown LA needs. They are simply too massive at streetlevel. Libeskind's half-witted attempt to address the base of this building is something you would expect from a second-rate corporate design firm that specializes in Shenzhen-type mega-towers.

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post
No. I'd take off about 2 or 3 stories from the base and that's it. It's a nice building. Not every structure in Los Angeles needs to have bilboards all over it.
Woah, woah, I was only talking about South Park and Hollywood. I fully believe that everywhere else, they should be banned.

Old Posted May 10, 2009, 9:28 PM

Love the design. I believe it could be one of L.A's most iconic.

Old Posted May 10, 2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edluva View Post
LA can be ugly enough without all this aging plastic simulacra and other cheap attempts at being something it is not
In some places, it already is what you seem to think it isn't. Billboards actually have a small history in Los Angeles going almost as far back as Times Square, particularly Hollywood and Broadway.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive