HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 5:25 PM
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
What I want to know is what makes Sterling Lyon such an attractive place to set up shop.
Think of it this way, it will be in the middle of two brand new neighbourhoods ... Kapyong Barricks and Waverley West ... new homes need new furniture and their completion will be after IKEA is in place.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 5:43 PM
Density and complexity

Plus its still relatively River Heights, where older houses are being renovated.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 5:47 PM
BANNED

Wow, with all the excitement that IKEA is bringing to Winnipeg, can you just imagine if the Jets announced their return to Peg City?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 5:50 PM
Starring as himself

Well, it is in the sweet spot in terms of the south-end location of the substantial majority of Winnipeg's disposable income, in addition to being close to the university area and the student market (such as it is in Winnipeg) and also well located for easy access from the wealthier rural areas to the south of the city, as well as the U.S. market to the extent that would be a factor.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 6:02 PM
Movin' on up

Regardless, Winnipeg (and all the out-of-town shoppers) will prove that IKEA can succeed there.

Good job

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 6:27 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

the hotel aspect mention will be a draw for the people up north also

if polo dies perhaps we should move the race track back to that site

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 6:37 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
the hotel aspect mention will be a draw for the people up north also

if polo dies perhaps we should move the race track back to that site
Polo Park isn't going to die

That's like saying West Edmonton Mall will die once IKEA established in Edmonton. Complete nonsense.

Is there no one out there that believes the city can establish various shopping areas throughout the city without sacrificing another? (And please, lets not beat a dead horse with the whole downtown issue, since that has happened throughout North America, not just Winnipeg)

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 7:09 PM
the first stamp is free

^ not that I really care one way or the other, but the Polo Park area is certainly hurting these days (lots of for lease signs and empty buildings), and it won't be getting any better any time soon.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 7:31 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

don't forget traffic is a pita around there and its realy hard to get in and out of alot of the strip malls around there

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 7:41 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
Polo Park isn't going to die

That's like saying West Edmonton Mall will die once IKEA established in Edmonton. Complete nonsense.

Is there no one out there that believes the city can establish various shopping areas throughout the city without sacrificing another? (And please, lets not beat a dead horse with the whole downtown issue, since that has happened throughout North America, not just Winnipeg)
IKEA's first Edmonton location was in WEM.

I remember going there in the mid 80s.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 7:48 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ not that I really care one way or the other, but the Polo Park area is certainly hurting these days (lots of for lease signs and empty buildings), and it won't be getting any better any time soon.

aj mentioned it and i believe the problem with the Polo Park area is in fact the traffic. It will only get worse when the "World Class" water park is built. The city really needs to stop doing traffic studies for the area and actually correct the problem, now.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 8:08 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
aj mentioned it and i believe the problem with the Polo Park area is in fact the traffic. It will only get worse when the "World Class" water park is built. The city really needs to stop doing traffic studies for the area and actually correct the problem, now.
also... don't forget about the traffic issus at the other big box strips........

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 8:11 PM

Quote:
I dunno. I think it has more to do with the retail trend away from malls and towards power centres, than with traffic issues. Kenaston/McGillvray isn't a heck of a lot better but it's thriving.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 8:38 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Eaton's was closer to 800,000 sq ft., I believe.

This location is exactly where IKEA would want to be. It's a big box store, so I'm not sure what else anyone could have been expecting in terms of location.
That's the thing though. There's a new development planned for Bishop and Waverley as well as that, right now at least, there's no other retail in the neighbourhood. It's more or less vacant land they're building on. It might be a quasi-brownfield site since most of the parcel is surrounded by industrial or formerly industrial. What I'm getting at though is that if Ikea is to be the anchor that will draw people from across the city (and let's face it, it will) are there no better areas than this for which a big box store could be set up ?

Well , whatever I guess. Kenaston is becoming one giant big-box strip and for once at least, people are clamouring to shop at Ikea. I just figure that there has to be a saturation point along that strip and if it hasn't been reached yet , if we include the new power-center at Bishop and Waverley plus the planned "town centre" for Waverley West , we've got to be pushing our luck.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 8:45 PM
Mooderator

My mother emitted an absurd sound when I mentioned to her the potential opening of this IKEA over the phone today.

Actually, I'm a little surprised by the location (well, not totally). I would've thought they'd set up shop near the perimeter (Lagimodiere, Oak Bluff) but I guess those places aren't within city limits. The two IKEAs in Montreal are near major freeways due to the traffic chaos these places cause (same with Ottawa, right next to the 417).

The first few days this place is open Kenaston is going to be a parking lot.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 9:05 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
My mother emitted an absurd sound when I mentioned to her the potential opening of this IKEA over the phone today.

Actually, I'm a little surprised by the location (well, not totally). I would've thought they'd set up shop near the perimeter (Lagimodiere, Oak Bluff) but I guess those places aren't within city limits. The two IKEAs in Montreal are near major freeways due to the traffic chaos these places cause (same with Ottawa, right next to the 417).

The first few days this place is open Kenaston is going to be a parking lot.
lol will have to bike down there and grab photos lol

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 9:20 PM
Tiger

Quote:
If the city had an integrated land use/transportation model or tool that they could use for long range planning, they could effectively plan appropriate transportation facilities to accomodate developments of all kinds, instead of all this retrofit stuff to deal with problems after individual traffic impact studies are done. My guess is this doesn't exist in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 10:29 PM
Honored Member

The new Winnipeg IKEA will most likely make good money because most people in Fargo and Grand Forks will instead opt to go to Winnipeg to do their IKEA shopping rather than the Twin Cities. Winnipeg is a bit closer than the Cities, and the dollar exchange looks more and more favourable for Americans as time goes on, due to Canada's relatively better economy than the US.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyBoy View Post
The new Winnipeg IKEA will most likely make good money because most people in Fargo and Grand Forks will instead opt to go to Winnipeg to do their IKEA shopping rather than the Twin Cities. Winnipeg is a bit closer than the Cities, and the dollar exchange looks more and more favourable for Americans as time goes on, due to Canada's relatively better economy than the US.
And if it's licensed it will attract all the under 21 year old americans!

Mmm, licensed Ikea.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyBoy View Post
and the dollar exchange looks more and more favourable for Americans as time goes on, due to Canada's relatively better economy than the US.
today, but 2012 is a long 3-4 years away!

i'm so glad i took a sick day today, this is all i would've heard at work!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan