HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 4:53 AM

Amarjeet Sohi has been elected Mayor of Edmonton along with a greater diversity of City Councillors

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 5:00 AM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

8/12 councillors will be female and the Iveson slate did well including Ms. Salvador who is now my rep which I am more than OK with despite being my very close second choice. Thank you Edmonton for being far more levelheaded than I give you credit for most.days! The future is female and progressive whether some people like it or not!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 5:02 AM

And big props to my friends downtown for putting Caterina out of his misery! Finishing at best near Adil Pirbhai levels... Or at least a distant 5th!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 2:10 PM
Change is good

Big Day... Sohi in, idiots like Caterina, Dysiak and Nickel out!

Hopefully this trend of electing progressive continues into the (please drop the writ early) provincial elections.

UCP has been absolute garbage, and anyone who wasn't blind saw that from a mile away.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 2:43 PM
A Better Place

A historic election result. I am very excited to see what the next four years brings for our city.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 2:52 PM
Community Guy

Generally quite pleased with the results and progressive female voices that will be added to the conversation.

My only (continued) concern is the lack of depth from a business perspective.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 4:34 PM

congratulations to all those who were successful in their quest to be elected yesterday.

and thank you to all those who were not successful because our democracy depends not on those who are elected but those who were not. it is you who have given us choice and options and debate and discussion.

and best wishes to all of you, elected or not.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Generally quite pleased with the results and progressive female voices that will be added to the conversation.

My only (continued) concern is the lack of depth from a business perspective.
I would agree with Ian and hope there is sufficient business competency in the list of successful candidates to create an effective city council.

One major disappointment is the voter turnout at around 38%. Apathy is a problem.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 6:07 PM

Municipal election turnout is historically low. They need to better engage citizens that their voice and vote matters. That who is chosen for mayor and council will affect their everyday lives.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 6:16 PM

Not intending to get political, but it's interesting to read all the platitudes of voting in a progressive field of candidates, and yet was the outgoing mayor not progressive?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 6:25 PM

Mayor Don Iveson is progressive yes. There are a few defeated city councillors including former city councillor Mike Nickel who were conservative.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 3:00 AM

If iveson was affiliated with any party it would be Alberta I'm assuming aka Red Tory or centrist aka ye olde Progressive Conservative. I voted for him in 2013 but not in 2017 mainly for not really following though on housing affordability and the Ice District deal... I found him too close to private interests over the public good too many times. But he wasn't bad just... Disappointing!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 3:08 AM

^ I would say Iveson was more left of center - Liberal would be my bet. That’s where he will end up politically.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 6:22 AM
Community Guy

His genes are left, NDP left; I still recall his first mayoral campaign where his team literally had to try and persuade business leaders that he had merit.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 2:07 PM
Change is good

ANDP is Center Right.... think Peter Lougheed.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 3:36 PM

It's interesting where the provincial parties have aligned themselves. I would consider NDP a solid centrist party as they seem to be a people first party but they won't say no to jobs.

The BC NDP under Horgan have taken that centre position as well with some success, although real estate continues its out of control upward spiral under them. The BC Liberals are centre to moderate right. Business interests with the occasional carrots on a stick.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 6:37 PM

I do love this debate because it shows how changed the Alberta political landscape has shifted in 20 years... And how the party has become the Big Tent it was always designed to be... It just took the Progressive element of the Conservatives to be drummed out and looking for new territory and for most people to realize their values are vaguely progressive with some economic issues still being wedges, sadly... i.e. taxation levels that will never apply most people... pitting working class people against each other for fun and chaos...

ANNNND... Of course the complete collapse of the Alberta Liberal Party as a functioning entity but that has several different reasons...

When I was 17.5 (3 months before I could vote), I volunteered for my first Alberta NDP candidate in Vegreville the party platform is essentially NOW as the same as it was in 2001. What was once considered "radical far left" at least in terms of the Alberta political spectrum is mainstream as is unfortunately some ideas associated with the far right. Aka Alberta's "Overton Window" is probably the most warped in North America with the exception of maybe Quebec and Texas...

Ideally I'd like to see PR happen because what Alberta really needs is 6 main parties that work in coalitions... Why? Because even I agree that's the most honest way to work without compromising ones own values and perspectives. In a utopia we wouldn't need parties because everyones working towards the same goal, but in reality? There will always be competing interests but that doesn't mean consensus can't be found.

Green (Left Wing)
NDP (Centre-Left)
Liberal (Centrist)
Alberta (Centrist)
Conservative (Centre-Right)
Wildrose (Right Wing)

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
ANDP is Center Right.... think Peter Lougheed.
Yes and no. I agree 100% with the Lougheed link but I'd say ANDP is "Radical Centrist" as its finest... As was the PC's until Klein which became the Alberta GOP for better or for worse... I'd say more of the latter than the former sadly...

I.e. even this committed New Democrat loves and would have voted for Lougheed. We need progressive modern visionaries, even if they aren't as progressive and modern as we'd like myself included...

My vote in 2023 hinges on who best shows Alberta a plan moving forward toward an increasingly carbon neutral/negative future while delivering SUSTAINED and SUSTAINABLE economic growth...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton