HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 1:35 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
I'm also a native. Most of Austin is west of 35, which is a big barrier. The land isn't as good east. Soil is soft, it's flatter, fewer trees. Growing up my dad always told me he'd never buy land east of 35 again (he did bought his first house off Stassney).
Actually soil east of 35 is deeper than west. Once you hit the Escarpment, soil depth becomes fairly thin due to the limestone hills and thus trees are able to grow taller east than west, (although valley's in the hill country have deeper soils and trees grow taller than up on the hills.)

Part of the reason why there is a strip of land that doesn't have as many trees is because it's the Blackland Prairie belt which does push west in some areas including here in the hood as we have Blackland Clay soil in my yard. Once you pass the strip you move into more heavily wooded areas.

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 10:15 PM

I work in commercial development, and we've been notified by our lighting vendors that due to the tariffs, commercial power equipment, lighting gear and LED lighting pricing are going to drastically increase after the 15th since most of that comes from China. All construction costs are going up, including materials AND labor, but the tariffs have been exacerbating the material increases since the end of last year. Lighting is just the latest. When commercial developers need to cost cut, expect lighting to be one of the first things to go.

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
I work in commercial development, and we've been notified by our lighting vendors that due to the tariffs, commercial power equipment, lighting gear and LED lighting pricing are going to drastically increase after the 15th since most of that comes from China. All construction costs are going up, including materials AND labor, but the tariffs have been exacerbating the material increases since the end of last year. Lighting is just the latest. When commercial developers need to cost cut, expect lighting to be one of the first things to go.
No reason those things can't be manufactured right here at home other than exploiting global labor pools.

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 10:30 PM

The reason is $$$$$$$$$

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrx299 View Post
No reason those things can't be manufactured right here at home other than exploiting global labor pools.
Right, cause fomenting economic isolation and escalating trade wars worked out so great in the 1920s...

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 1:08 AM
Resident Moron

Quote:
I mean sure, but things will cost more. That and the whole global supply chain.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 3:22 AM
Love Austin

https://www.kut.org/post/some-see-pl...nmental-values

Not sure anything has gotten me as depressed as this in the past 20 years. Such an amazing amount of waste and destruction. Great for auto-centric sprawl, horrible for Austin and our environment.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 1:11 PM
Love Austin

Does anyone have a great recent pic of our skyline from the south looking north? Looking to put that skyline on a t-shirt for a non-profit and would love to give one to someone who shares a winning pic

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427MM View Post
Does anyone have a great recent pic of our skyline from the south looking north? Looking to put that skyline on a t-shirt for a non-profit and would love to give one to someone who shares a winning pic
I would check the Austin Photos sub-thread. There's lots of good ones in there. If there's any copyright concerns, maybe point to one of those as an example and perhaps one of the local photographers on this forum can get you a custom shot. I'd be happy to help but I don't have any fancy semi-pro equipment, although I'm decent with Photoshop.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
I'm also a native. Most of Austin is west of 35, which is a big barrier. The land isn't as good east. Soil is soft, it's flatter, fewer trees. Growing up my dad always told me he'd never buy land east of 35 again (he did bought his first house off Stassney).
Fewer trees is definitely not true.

One thing I love about living on the east side is how lush it looks. Particularly the last few years in which we have received plenty of rain. The West Austin landscape has a much more southwestern/desert vibe.

Moving soil is an issue, however. Roads tend to get pot holes and houses tend to have foundation issues.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 5:59 PM
Meh

KVUE did this story today on APD Headquarters, and there's talk of it needing to be replaced, which would no doubt make it available for redevelopment.

Video Link

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 10:34 PM

I remember them talking about a few different sites as potential spots for a new APD headquarters. I agree that thing needs to go. It's hideous.

Why not the Hancock Center site? That Sears was closed down.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 11:23 PM

Anybody read the article about the 13,000 sq/ft $25,000,000 Four Seasons condo on the 30th floor for sale?
It is on page B5 of today’s AAS. Somebody combined 3 units into one big 4 bedroom 7 bath luxury pad.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
Anybody read the article about the 13,000 sq/ft $25,000,000 Four Seasons condo on the 30th floor for sale?
It is on page B5 of today’s AAS. Somebody combined 3 units into one big 4 bedroom 7 bath luxury pad.
Here is the condo's website if you want a virtual tour:
https://www.30thflooratx.com/

Here is the article: https://www.statesman.com/news/20190...ion-agents-say

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 12:06 AM

I wouldn't trade my 5 bedroom on a half acre for that. From what I saw in the video, I would pay....$21.5 mil, maybe $21.75, but certainly not $25 mil. I have my own standards you know, not top mention the hotel creeping up the north side. That alone should knock a few mil off the asking price. All BS aside, this is kind of huge for Austin to have a Condo valued this high.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 12:40 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by papertowelroll View Post
Fewer trees is definitely not true.

One thing I love about living on the east side is how lush it looks. Particularly the last few years in which we have received plenty of rain. The West Austin landscape has a much more southwestern/desert vibe.

Moving soil is an issue, however. Roads tend to get pot holes and houses tend to have foundation issues.

Yup, that is true about overall look from east to west. Now what I find interesting about the Hills, specifically right along the Balconies Escarpment is the ecology even from one area of a hill to another can be very different. The west and south facing parts tend to have that southwestern vibe (though not a desert, since true desert doesn't begin for a good 400 miles west of here, has more to do with the shallow soils and how hot those west and south facing sides of the hills get), but the north and east sides are more lush with a more varied range of plant species. Another fun fact is there is a greater range of plant and tree species along the escarpment and eastern hill country than east of 35 because this is where 3 different ecological regions meet which overlap along the escarpment. You have different soil depths from very shallow up on top of the hills to fairly deep in the valleys.

I know this has become an off topic sort of conversation but I've studied environmental sciences with a side focus on micro climates. Anywho all fascinating stuff.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I wouldn't trade my 5 bedroom on a half acre for that. From what I saw in the video, I would pay....$21.5 mil, maybe $21.75, but certainly not $25 mil. I have my own standards you know, not top mention the hotel creeping up the north side. That alone should knock a few mil off the asking price. All BS aside, this is kind of huge for Austin to have a Condo valued this high.
Units like those are just a place for international money to park their ill-gotten gains from abroad.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 2:59 PM

HTML Code:
Units like those are just a place for international money to park their ill-gotten gains from abroad.
Or just a guy with a good idea... this isn't Miami or NYC, the property taxes make it an awful place to park money in real estate.

"The Travis Central Appraisal District values the three units that make up the Four Seasons residence at $9.8 million, and lists the owner as Alan Ruud. Ruud is an engineer and lighting designer who is known as one of the most successful entrepreneurs in the lighting industry. He founded Ruud Lighting Inc. in late 1982, serving as chairman and chief executive officer of the Wisconsin-based lighting fixture manufacturer, which led the way in energy-efficient LED outdoor lighting. According to published reports, Ruud Lighting was one of the first traditional lighting companies to transform most of its business to LED-based systems."

https://www.statesman.com/news/20190...ion-agents-say

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
HTML Code:
Or just a guy with a good idea... this isn't Miami or NYC, the property taxes make it an awful place to park money in real estate.
That's one thing I've never understood about Texas.

It's far from the only state without an income tax. You never really hear people complain about Florida property taxes as being anything above what would reasonably be expected.

Does Florida really get that much more tourist dollars boosting the sales & hotel/car/etc taxes to make such a significant difference vs. Texas? The stuff related to property taxes I see around here is completely out of control vs. what I saw when I lived in South Florida.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 8:05 PM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
That's one thing I've never understood about Texas.

It's far from the only state without an income tax. You never really hear people complain about Florida property taxes as being anything above what would reasonably be expected.

Does Florida really get that much more tourist dollars boosting the sales & hotel/car/etc taxes to make such a significant difference vs. Texas? The stuff related to property taxes I see around here is completely out of control vs. what I saw when I lived in South Florida.
I would like to know more about that also. Florida seems to be fine without high property tax. What’s the secret?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin