HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 4:53 AM
PrimaPix Visuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
So what area is the go to hangout place now (not Domain or South Congress)?
E. Riverside is a nice chill local hangout spot too, with Jackalope, Buzzmill, Emo's, Come and Take It, Frazier's, and even Click's on Oltorf, all in close proximity. Combine that with the food trucks that stay open late, El Taquito, 24hr Taco Cabana, Raising Canes, and Taqueria Arandina's, it makes for a good little nightlife area.

Last edited by gabetx; Apr 25, 2019 at 12:05 PM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 6:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
So what area is the go to hangout place now (not Domain or South Congress)?

Rundberg & Lamar?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 8:00 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
Rundberg & Lamar?
Depends on what kind of party you're looking for.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 1:54 PM

The ATX had flagged this one a couple of weeks ago, and Towers has the story now and roughed in a massing for our enjoyment.

This is the Horizon Bank at 600 W. 5th St.

And this is its massing:

Also this:

https://austin.towers.net/at-fifth-a...atter-of-time/

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
The ATX had flagged this one a couple of weeks ago, and Towers has the story now and roughed in a massing for our enjoyment.

So when are the drive through banks across the street (south side of 5th) going to get redevelopment plans? Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
So when are the drive through banks across the street (south side of 5th) going to get redevelopment plans? Hopefully sooner rather than later.
There are SO many that need to go. SE corner of 6th and Guard, SW 5th and Nueces plus all the drive thrus in between Guard/Lavaca around 9th/10th Street. Tear those babies down.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 4:31 PM

I remember being so disappointed when that area was filled with suburban drive thru's and the Austin's 2nd ugliest "new" building ( next door to the west).
So glad we are thru that phase and this will go away.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 4:31 PM

delete repeat

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 8:32 PM
Meh

Some of those drive in banks sit in CVCs and probably won't go away, at least, they won't be replaced with anything tall and glitzy. It would be nice to at least see some better quality construction/development on those blocks, but don't go expecting anything tall.

Actually, if we ever had the forethought to "replace" our Warehouse District of bars and clubs, that area might be a good location because of the limits on vertical development under those CVCs.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 10:19 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post

And this is its massing:

Also this:

Isn't CBD's standard/base FAR 25:1? If so, and then maximize the base FAR, the tower would be around 436,000 SF (or about 25-30 stories - similar to the depicted massing). Cool!

Old Posted Apr 28, 2019, 10:29 AM
De Lurk Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Not really sure why you had to make a big deal out of nothing because I didn't say anything about what you are griping about. Take a joke sometimes and relax.
I apologize for attacking your post. You are a respected long time poster. I guess it was a cumulative response. On to more updates.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2019, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
Rundberg & Lamar?
Heh, we built our first house in Windsor Hills in 1971 (5th house in the neighborhood) right after Rundberg had been paved, and going west of 35 the street ended at North Lamar. There was almost nothing around that intersection except the strip center (with a Safeway store) on the present southwest corner.

I recall that the infamous murderer James Cross used the empty field where the elementary school is now as a body dump in 1965 for his two UT coed victims.

The closest night spots then were the famous Skyline Ballroom up on North Lamar & Braker, and the old Dessau Hall way out on Dessau Road. A lot of famous C&W stars played the Skyline from the ‘40s through the ‘70s, not to mention pre-superstar Elvis in 1955 or ‘56. A friend of my brother opened for him.

Last edited by Armybrat; Apr 28, 2019 at 3:38 PM.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 3:41 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickelplate View Post
I apologize for attacking your post. You are a respected long time poster. I guess it was a cumulative response. On to more updates.
Hey thanks so much and no worries, we all get passionate over certain topics. Regardless of that, we all represent Austin to the fullest. I've said this before but I'll say it again, I'll always be up for having a drink with anyone on this forum. I've enjoyed meeting several forumers over the years, and they are all great people. So even if things get heated, never any hard feelings.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 1:05 PM
World Traveler

I like the varied points of view, personally. The ability to disagree and still get along is a lost art. Glad folks are practicing this often on the forum here.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 10:54 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

It's MY way or the HIGHWAY! (preferably cut and capped)

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 11:14 PM
Love Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post

In one of the last [Zilker] meetings, an old neighborhood progressive literally said "I would rather see 1 (one) million dollar home on one lot than 4 smaller $300k homes" on one lot, because $300k was not affordable. The entire room erupted in applause. Density is a four letter word in Zilker. In fact, the trend is more new single family and less 2 unit new-builds.

Monday, April 29, 2019
6:30-8:30 pm General Membership Meeting Zilker Elementary School
1900 Bluebonnet Ln
There is nothing "progressive" about the NIMBY who uttered the above. This is why it is critical that all of us show up at these meetings and speak truth when pro-exclusionary talk is preached. We have a long history of excluding far too many people from too many things and this sentiment only propagates it. We're better than this!

I'm ready for the city to strip all of the powers away from these neighborhood groups/planning contact teams until we can be sure that they represent the community they are to serve, they work to achieve the housing transit goals Austin has laid out and they abide by Texas Open Meetings Act.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427MM View Post
There is nothing "progressive" about the NIMBY who uttered the above. This is why it is critical that all of us show up at these meetings and speak truth when pro-exclusionary talk is preached. We have a long history of excluding far too many people from too many things and this sentiment only propagates it. We're better than this!

I'm ready for the city to strip all of the powers away from these neighborhood groups/planning contact teams until we can be sure that they represent the community they are to serve, they work to achieve the housing transit goals Austin has laid out and they abide by Texas Open Meetings Act.
A-FUUUUUUUCKINGMEN! I couldn't agree more with this!

On a totally separate note, does anyone know who could sketch us new and improved renders under the city diagram page? It always irks me whenever I visit the Austin page and see those two dimensional boxy things.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 12:34 AM

701 Rio Grande

Now vacant for demo

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 6:55 AM

A little more info about 60 East (River Street Hotel) was added to AULCC. It will have below ground parking (which was evident by the ground floor drawing that was released) and apartments. So it could end up being a rather tall mixed use project.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 3:05 PM
Love Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
701 Rio Grande

Now vacant for demo

Good that this is moving forward though it seems incredibly underutilized. The ridiculous height limits around Judge's Hill do little to satisfy our desperate need for centrally located housing/jobs. One day this changes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin