HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 8:18 PM

I wish they had preserved the whole original terminal. Would have been neat to repurpose it as a grocery store or food hall or something, it had such interesting architecture.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
I wish they had preserved the whole original terminal. Would have been neat to repurpose it as a grocery store or food hall or something, it had such interesting architecture.
Thank you for seeing that! Yes, the original part was really cool.
It had some interesting features that were filled in over time I guess....
I did some photo snooping a while back.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 2:19 PM

I didn't see a dedicated thread for this, so I apologize if it has already been posted. CBRE is marketing the 5th & Lavaca site for sale including a concept for a 40-story apartment tower. It's the site that the back of the Plaza Lofts face - the side with no windows. 301-303-305 West 5th Street. Below are some screen shots of the brochure.

Source: http://www.cbre.us/people-and-office...roperty-search

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
I didn't see a dedicated thread for this, so I apologize if it has already been posted. CBRE is marketing the 5th & Lavaca site for sale including a concept for a 40-story apartment tower. It's the site that the back of the Plaza Lofts face - the side with no windows. 301-303-305 West 5th Street.

I've been saying for a while now this corner was ripe for development and that they may be shopping it around. It's been empty for too long.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 4:03 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
I didn't see a dedicated thread for this, so I apologize if it has already been posted. CBRE is marketing the 5th & Lavaca site for sale including a concept for a 40-story apartment tower. It's the site that the back of the Plaza Lofts face - the side with no windows. 301-303-305 West 5th Street. Below are some screen shots of the brochure.

No need to apologize. There is no dedicated thread for this because there is no project being proposed for this site.

Having said that, I LOVE the idea of a 40+ tower on this site. I would also tell CBRE that they need to amend the "no maximum height restriction" comment in the brochure. As we are quickly becoming aware, the FAA has some sort of height restriction over the CBD - even though code say there is no restriction.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 4:06 PM

Quote:
I know these places have been empty for years, but I'd stiill rather see these buildings preserved for potential future club/bar space as they used to be.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 4:09 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
I know these places have been empty for years, but I'd stiill rather see these buildings preserved for potential future club/bar space as they used to be.
That is not the highest and best use of said land. Furthermore, prime developable sites - not in a CVC - are becoming more and more rare in the CBD.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Any new development would like have ground floor retail space. So, there's no reason that can't happen. Plus, I wouldn't mind seeing something with better street interaction there. A la Corner at the JW.

Last edited by paul78701; Feb 28, 2018 at 5:36 PM.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 5:32 PM
Meh

FAA permit for 275 foot tower crane for Villas on Nueces. West Campus is getting dense enough now that even 7-story apartment buildings need tall cranes.

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...57859959&row=7

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 7:06 PM

Cool view of Green Water development, Republic Sq. and West 6th.

OG https://i.imgur.com/ixYTsv1.jpg

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 7:16 PM

Coincidentally just took a long lunchtime walk around Republic Park. It's really obvious that the three open blocks running north south on Guad are going to be blockbusters when they finally start filling in (courthouse block, post office block, and 600 Guad).

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Agreed....
at least one is building there is not in that tract.
The building on the corner has been striped of all character.... So that one is not a loss at this point, . but I believe the
2nd one in still maintains it's warehouse feel.... At least it did when it was the Gay Kicker bar 10ish years ago.
Something "ground floor retail in a high rise " will never replace.
We still have a unique mix of hight rise with older buildings.... which keeps a vibe in the area alive. I know there is a "best use" sentiment ( And Golden Boot I always value your insight and opinion) But I will continue to
Speak for Keeping a more "particular" and unique character and not just build high because vertical for vertical sake.
I know I'm a broken record... but if you kill all the character that folks came her for .... you just have.... well..... .Dallas. ( Sorry Dallas )

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Agreed....
at least one is building there is not in that tract.
The building on the corner has been striped of all character.... So that one is not a loss at this point, . but I believe the
2nd one in still maintains it's warehouse feel.... At least it did when it was the Gay Kicker bar 10ish years ago.
Something "ground floor retail in a high rise " will never replace.
We still have a unique mix of hight rise with older buildings.... which keeps a vibe in the area alive. I know there is a "best use" sentiment ( And Golden Boot I always value your insight and opinion) But I will continue to
Speak for Keeping a more "particular" and unique character and not just build high because vertical for vertical sake.
I know I'm a broken record... but if you kill all the character that folks came her for .... you just have.... well..... .Dallas. ( Sorry Dallas )
Thank you. Our downtown is unique in Texas in that it stays active after 6 pm. It is a place to live, work, and play, unlike Dallas and Houston. Old warehouse-type buildings like these are prime candidates for entertainment venues that make these districts popular, like bars and clubs. Once it's gone, it's irreplaceable. There's plenty of other vacant spots, parking lots, under-used banks, etc, that could be replaced with a residential tower while not losing potential nightlife space.

Nightlife programming might not be the most profitable use of the land, but it keeps the area valuable.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 9:06 PM

Here's the 5th & Lavaca site from Streetview. It would block the ugly blank wall of Plaza Lofts and would be close 500' to the top of the mechanical screen.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 6:00 PM
Meh

I like that design. I love the height. I'd estimate it would probably be around 470 feet tall to the mechanical penthouse when measured along the southern facade. It would rival the W's height.

The design reminds me a bit of the failed 21C project that was slated for 3rd & Brazos - a favorite of mine.
http://www.hotel-online.com/News/PR2...Austin21c.html

Still, a part of me wants to preserve the warehouse district. There are still a lot of vacant and underutilized lots with architecturally and historically irrelevant structures elsewhere in downtown. Not to mention there are other areas of downtown that need a shot in the arm to make them more lively. I would rather see high rise development come to some of the dead zones in downtown. That population boost then could support the areas that already thriving, such as the warehouse district.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 10:43 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
The design reminds me a bit of the failed 21C project that was slated for 3rd & Brazos - a favorite of mine.
http://www.hotel-online.com/News/PR2...Austin21c.html
Yes. That one OR the one designed for the "Waller Park Place" tracts would have been great. A 21C hotel would have been a boon for the hospitality industry in Austin.

I still believe Austin lacks in the highly-ranked, hospitality choice department. All of the 21C's are consistently ranked as Top hotels in the U.S. by both Condé Nast Traveler and Travel & Leisure magazines.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Yes. That one OR the one designed for the "Waller Park Place" tracts would have been great. A 21C hotel would have been a boon for the hospitality industry in Austin.

I still believe Austin lacks in the highly-ranked, hospitality choice department. All of the 21C's are consistently ranked as Top hotels in the U.S. by both Condé Nast Traveler and Travel & Leisure magazines.
I worked at a hotel in Louisville, KY for several years -- and Louisville is the HQ of 21c, and home of their original flagship hotel. It's just a phenomenal company, and a brilliant product. It would've been gangbusters here in Austin.

That said . . . we have a lot of boutique product coming online in the next few years: The Line, Proper, ZaZa, and Canopy by Hilton. Those won't necessarily fill all the demand but it's a still a lot of similar style and price points. 21c (and for that matter, Virgin, which is one of my next brand bets for Austin) would have a pretty crowded field to elbow its way through in 2019-2020.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 11:15 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
I worked at a hotel in Louisville, KY for several years -- and Louisville is the HQ of 21c, and home of their original flagship hotel. It's just a phenomenal company, and a brilliant product. It would've been gangbusters here in Austin.

That said . . . we have a lot of boutique product coming online in the next few years: The Line, Proper, ZaZa, and Canopy by Hilton. Those won't necessarily fill all the demand but it's a still a lot of similar style and price points. 21c (and for that matter, Virgin, which is one of my next brand bets for Austin) would have a pretty crowded field to elbow its way through in 2019-2020.
My point was that The Line, Proper, ZaZa and Canopy are not (currently) highly ranked (if ranked at all) in any of the Condé Nast Traveler or Travel & Leisure lists. As I have not been in a Canopy yet, would you consider this Hilton's version of Marriott's (Starwood's) W brand? From their description, it sounds a bit like it. What about Hilton's Curio brand?

Oh, sorry. I forgot about the Carpenter Hotel. It's being developed by Mighty Union. One of the three founders of this company was the co-founder of the Ace Hotel in Portland.

I actually believe there is plenty of demand for more of these smaller, boutique hotels. I'm not so sure downtown Austin "needs" another, single, 500+ room hotel for a while. But a few 50-150 room hotels in and/or near downtown would provide more choice and competition in the market.

At some point - recently, I thought 21C may have been trying to make a deal for a spot near Plaza Saltillo?!? Obviously, on a much smaller scale that their previous endeavors.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
My point was that The Line, Proper, ZaZa and Canopy are not (currently) highly ranked (if ranked at all) in any of the Condé Nast Traveler or Travel & Leisure lists. As I have not been in a Canopy yet, would you consider this Hilton's version of Marriott's (Starwood's) W brand? From their description, it sounds a bit like it. What about Hilton's Curio brand?

Oh, sorry. I forgot about the Carpenter Hotel. It's being developed by Mighty Union. One of the three founders of this company was the co-founder of the Ace Hotel in Portland.

I actually believe there is plenty of demand for more of these smaller, boutique hotels. I'm not so sure downtown Austin "needs" another, single, 500+ room hotel for a while. But a few 50-150 room hotels in and/or near downtown would provide more choice and competition in the market.

At some point - recently, I thought 21C may have been trying to make a deal for a spot near Plaza Saltillo?!? Obviously, on a much smaller scale that their previous endeavors.
I agree with you on pretty much everything. You're right that 21c tends to score highly with Conde Nast but would definitely still fall into the Proper/Ace/Line/etc bucket of upper upscale boutique. Canopy is meant to fall into that slot as well, though it's still a developing brand and it's not really very clear what it looks like yet. Curios tend to be hotels that Hilton has taken over that already had identities before they were purchased. Think historic named hotels in major cities.

But overall, yeah you're right that we need more boutique rooms. Especially as the Seaholm/Republic Park area develops into skyscraper alley, the businesses there will need more places for travelers to sleep. Not big group houses (those 500+ room boxes you were talking about) but places for individual travelers to sleep and work.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2018, 6:54 AM

We've known since last year that Dream Hotels, specifically their Unscripted brand, was planning an Austin hotel. This interview with the CEO from about a week ago gives a hint about the Austin hotel, and it won't be downtown.

Quote:
We're focused on secondary and tertiary markets where there aren't a lot of boutique options and where we can offer a great lifestyle product. Roughly 10 miles from downtown Austin [Texas], we're planning a hotel that will be attached to a live music venue.
http://www.startribune.com/next-up-f...ico/474896673/

Things will be great when you're downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin