HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 6:06 PM

It's great seeing so many vacant buildings being put back into commerce especially Charity and multiple highrises in Gentilly/N.O. East. Anecdotally I've heard from a lot of people who are considering moving here from larger cities with the new ability to work remotely and the residential market remains strong. Also anecdotally, I've seen a lot of prime development properties going on the market, so there's plenty of opportunity if developers can come up with the funds.

Someone elsewhere mentioned that Tulane has an RFP for 4000 hotel rooms to de-densify its dorms this year. Hopefully that will help keep hotels afloat until tourism rebounds (although it seems to be coming back somewhat already).

But also ugh to that Mercedes Benz dealership on Poydras. Such a poor use of that location. I thought that they'd at least make it more of a multi-story flagship location.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 7:26 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by York1 View Post
I love your house. You had a great vision for it, and it looks like your vision was carried out.
Thank you!

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 7:27 PM
-

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
But also ugh to that Mercedes Benz dealership on Poydras. Such a poor use of that location. I thought that they'd at least make it more of a multi-story flagship location.

I may be stating the obvious, but I think part of the reason it's there is to tie in to the rest of the Benson mini-empire there. Run promotions before games and things like that. The one in Metairie is fairly new so I don't think they'll close that and I don't think we have the population to support 3 full-fledged M-B dealerships.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 11:00 PM
TL;DR

Wow to that Arquitectonica proposal at the marina... would love for that to happen but it seems very pie in the sky. Tiny lot, ON the water, elaborate/costly design, requires car elevators to make the parking work? LOL. The two highrises that are already there are much more typical Gulf Coast style on a big site with parking on the ground and setbacks on all sides.

Can the developer actually make a high-end Miami style project work at that location? I always assumed you'd have to be closer to the CBD/FQ or Garden District to get that price per SF.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 11:13 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. View Post
Transit and land-use are linked. You want cities changing their zoning and luring development to maximize the success of the transit line. Simply linking two city centers without transit oriented development along the way is a recipe for disaster.
Not what I said. The Atlanta streetcar is "development oriented transit" but it doesn't connect people to where they want to go. A regional rail line that connects several major EXISTING destinations will naturally lure development around it, assuming the cities allow it to happen. There's no commitment to build the line from the state, but the cities are ALREADY planning ahead for the development that could accompany the line. Gonzales is already planning for downtown development, the suburban BR station will likely lead to more development around Perkins Rowe, and New Orleans planners are likely looking forward to development of Plaza Tower, the Post Office site, and other lands along Loyola (basically the only place in the CBD where there is already consensus around highrise development).

Quote:
The Trinity Railway Express in Dallas-Forth Worth might be a similar project. It's a 10 mile line connecting downtown Fort Worth, DFW Airport and downtown Dallas as well as several of the suburban communities along the way. It has an annual operating budget of $113.9 million in 2019 and serves an an average weekday ridership of 6,400. The system had a total of 2 million riders last year, which equates to $56.95 per ride to operate.

The metrics look much better than the Atlanta streetcar when you consider passenger miles traveled divided by operating cost. Removing 6,400 cars from rush hour traffic is also a benefit that's hard to quantify.
TRE isn't great considering the size of the DFW area. Metro DFW has 7.5M people, Utah achieves ridership 3x-4x higher on FrontRunner with basically the same hourly schedule and only 1/3 the population. I think FrontRunner should be the model that Louisiana looks to.

The airport connection on TRE especially sucks, once you get off the train you need to ride two separate buses and then get on the airport people mover to reach your gate, a "four seat" ride. I have no idea why anybody would do that. At MSY at least it would be a one-bus connection and the airport is small enough that you can comfortably walk to your gate (a "two seat" ride). Dallas also is not a tourism hub, and there is no large university along the TRE route (UT Arlington and SMU are pretty far away).

So yeah, I think the NOLA-BR route could easily exceed the ridership of TRE if they make the right decisions.

Quote:
Would it be more of a benefit if the investment went to improving the existing New Orleans streetcar network than the rail line between Baton Rouge and New Orleans? At 70 miles between the two cities along with some very sensitive environmental sites along the way, that's gonna be in the multi-billion dollar range. A lot of money unless justified by high transit useage.
The cost was estimated at around $500M in 2009, or $610M in 2019 dollars, but that was a creampuff price with all toppings included (every single bridge getting replaced, etc). You could probably start a reasonable service for 1/3-1/2 of that amount, spending mostly on the equipment, stations, and the most crucial track/signal upgrades. But I wouldn't recommend skimping, since it will be important to offer a decent average speed and enough track capacity to send at least one train per hour in each direction around the freight traffic.

Also, if $500M seems like a lot, consider that the new Twin Spans replacement bridge cost $800M and the Huey Long bridge rebuild cost $1.2B. Adding a third lane to I-10 between NOLA and BR would likely cost several billion. The rail line can't pay for itself, but neither can the highway.

Last edited by ardecila; Jul 5, 2020 at 11:57 PM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 3:39 PM
-

Sizeler Thompson Brown Architects
· Yesterday ·

Construction is proceeding safely for the Young Audiences Charter School in Gretna and is currently scheduled for completion in Fall 2020. The adaptive reuse of a historic Coca-Cola warehouse into a new facility will offer spaces for visual and performing arts, black box theater, science labs, a gymnasium, and covered outdoor space for middle and high school students. Stay tuned!

2219 Lakeshore Dr -Ste 500·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code:V8V2VZ
Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
Ann Schmuelling
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
7/1/2020
Closed:
No
Description:
Tenant build out

djsnola
2 Canal St, Unit 3003·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code:B0HPEX
Type:
Applicant:
Beckendorff Todd
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
7/1/2020
Closed:
No
Description:
Buildout of a single family apartment in a multi-use building

2130 Danneel St, 1929 Jackson Ave·New Construction · Ref CodeJZR1G
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Batiste Joseph
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
7/1/2020
Closed:
No
Description:
Proposal to build a new commercial building to replace the blighted existing structure

3700 Canal St·Design Review · Project #DR110-20 · Ref Code:8KGY61
Download (6) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Design Review
Applicant:
Bethany Church
Completeness Review
Date Filed:
6/30/2020
Closed:
No
Description:
Site plan review only for the renovation of an existing historic landmark building for a new Church Assembly. Scope of work includes alterations to the rear parking lot to meet Stormwater Management requirements and minor site alterations. No new building envelope additions are included in the renovation.

ICYMI: Yesterday we celebrated the completion of this DPW Multi-Purpose Building.

The new facility is for housing, cleaning and completing repairs to DPW maintenance staff’s equipment; for developing the daily crew schedules; as well as for holding staff trainings.

Wherever possible, we are integrating stormwater management into our projects.

At this site, we have a permeable parking lot, bioswales and native plantings that can hold 24 thousand gallons of water during a 1.25" rain event. #nolaprogress #cityofyes @mayorcantrell @resilientnola @cityofnola

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 6:14 PM
-

Four Seasons:

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 7:04 PM

Some really good insight into the current state of the office real estate market in New Orleans:

https://www.nola.com/news/article_21...40c67c55b.html

"According to Corporate Realty's data, the overall occupancy for the 14 prime — or "Class A" — office buildings in the Central Business District remains at about 87%, and so far no other major corporate tenants [apart from GE] have departed."

Also interesting to read that GE is honoring the remainder of its lease, which still has another 2 years left. I'm sure they'll try to get out of it later, but at least it helps some in the short term.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 7:11 PM
-

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 8:12 PM

Welcome back tennis1400. The forum got really quiet in your absence. All of your efforts are much appreciated.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 8:26 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
Welcome back tennis1400. The forum got really quiet in your absence. All of your efforts are much appreciated.
Thanks!

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 8:32 PM
-

North shore's former Friends transformed into two very different riverfront restaurants

https://www.nola.com/entertainment_l...154a4cd54.html

Konecranes receives order from Louisiana for two portal harbor cranes
in Port News 30/06/2020

https://www.hellenicshippingnews.com...harbor-cranes/

201 Rampart:

Airport Flyover Ramp Construction:

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Not what I said. The Atlanta streetcar is "development oriented transit" but it doesn't connect people to where they want to go. A regional rail line that connects several major EXISTING destinations will naturally lure development around it, assuming the cities allow it to happen. There's no commitment to build the line from the state, but the cities are ALREADY planning ahead for the development that could accompany the line. Gonzales is already planning for downtown development, the suburban BR station will likely lead to more development around Perkins Rowe, and New Orleans planners are likely looking forward to development of Plaza Tower, the Post Office site, and other lands along Loyola (basically the only place in the CBD where there is already consensus around highrise development).
The cities along the route have to be serious about promoting development around the planned transit stations. I'm hard pressed to find an example of a regional rail line that hit or exceed the initial ridership numbers that were identified in the EIS or other funding documents. They always fall short, with the rare exception of cities that aggressively supported development along the route. i.e. HBLR line in Hudson County ,NJ.

Quote:
TRE isn't great considering the size of the DFW area. Metro DFW has 7.5M people, Utah achieves ridership 3x-4x higher on FrontRunner with basically the same hourly schedule and only 1/3 the population. I think FrontRunner should be the model that Louisiana looks to.
I had to look up FrontRunner. Interesting case as it feels odd for Louisiana would look to Utah as an example, but I agree it's a better case study than the TRE in Texas. The annual operating budget is $457 million, with $53.4 million coming from the farebox. So it's a much larger operation than the one in Dallas-Fort Worth.

I am a big supporter of rail transit, and I lived car-free for a number of years, but there is an opportunity costs associated in transit planning. Would the investment from Baton Rouge to New Orleans be worth while or is there another transit investment in which the money (both capital and long-term operating costs) could be redeployed to instead.

I like to see the numbers of the planned ridership vs actual. The cost benefit analyses along with running the ratios. So that's why I'm following this one with interest.

Quote:

The airport connection on TRE especially sucks, once you get off the train you need to ride two separate buses and then get on the airport people mover to reach your gate, a "four seat" ride. I have no idea why anybody would do that. At MSY at least it would be a one-bus connection and the airport is small enough that you can comfortably walk to your gate (a "two seat" ride). Dallas also is not a tourism hub, and there is no large university along the TRE route (UT Arlington and SMU are pretty far away).

So yeah, I think the NOLA-BR route could easily exceed the ridership of TRE if they make the right decisions.
It's a horrible connection. I'm not sure more than a few people per week actually do it. That "connection" was obviously designed/planned by someone that never rode transit.

Quote:
The cost was estimated at around $500M in 2009, or $610M in 2019 dollars, but that was a creampuff price with all toppings included (every single bridge getting replaced, etc). You could probably start a reasonable service for 1/3-1/2 of that amount, spending mostly on the equipment, stations, and the most crucial track/signal upgrades. But I wouldn't recommend skimping, since it will be important to offer a decent average speed and enough track capacity to send at least one train per hour in each direction around the freight traffic.

Also, if $500M seems like a lot, consider that the new Twin Spans replacement bridge cost $800M and the Huey Long bridge rebuild cost $1.2B. Adding a third lane to I-10 between NOLA and BR would likely cost several billion. The rail line can't pay for itself, but neither can the highway.
We shall see - these things always have cost overruns, especially for environmental considerations. One endangered species along the route could add millions of dollars in NEPA compliance if federal funds are involved.

For the record, no way this gets built for under $500 million IMO. That would be about $6.25 million a mile though some very sensitive environmental areas.

I'm keening watching with interest on this unfolds. I know it's still a loooong way away.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 8:58 PM
-

Fidelity Bank Headquarters:

Yo nashi Omakase:

The Canopy Hilton:

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 9:16 PM
-

City Square #citysquare #neworleans #progress #beforetherain
#pontchartrainmechanical #plumbing #hvac #constructionprogress #constructiontechnology

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 7:25 PM
-

4327 Bienville Ave·Renovation (Structural) · Permit #20-21121-RNVS · Ref Code:UJJ2WK
Download (6) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Structural)
Applicant:
Permit Issued
Date Filed:
3/5/2020
Closed:
No
Description:
Structural renovation of a commercial building. Scope includes full renovation to convert garage to full service restaurant as per plans

841 Canal St·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code:72VWVH
Download (4) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Applicant:
Canal 841 LLC dba Canal Express
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
7/9/2020
Closed:
No
Description:
Change of use from convenient store to standard restaurant.

5035 Freret St·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code:R7P161
Type:
Applicant:
Melinda Cohen
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
7/8/2020
Closed:
No
Description:
Change of use - From a Bakery (Pure Cake) to a Furniture Store (Spomenik Supply) - No Construction, Electrical, Mechanical or Plumbing necessar

1010 Common St·Renovation (Structural) · Ref Code:21HPWU
Type:
Renovation (Structural)
Applicant:
Dale Wood
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
7/7/2020
Closed:
No
Description:
RENOVATION OF EXISTING HISTORIC BUILDING INTO MIXED USE BUILDING CONTAINING LUXURY HOTEL, EXTENDED STAY HOTEL, LEASED OFFICES, COMMERCIAL TENANT SPACES, AND PARKING GARAGE. ADDITION OF TWO ROOFTOP POOL DECKS (3rd & 31st floors).

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 7:42 PM
-

Never saw this before and thought was worth sharing

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 8:04 PM
-

2400 St Charles

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 8:13 PM
-

Fidelity Bank HQ

Jesuit High School Administration Building

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations