HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 7:36 PM

National Slave Ship Museum

WOW!! This is the first of this project I'm hearing about. It could be really cool though. I'm not in love with the location, but if they're going to have a sailing ship, I suppose their options are limited. I'd rather it go at the foot of Elysian Fields, but I'm just being picky.

http://uptownmessenger.com/2013/09/n...ct-riverfront/

[Image courtesy of Uptown Messenger]

Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 8:00 PM

The Slave Ship Museum looks incredible! I guess this means we should really be thinking "tourist attraction" for the old power plant, which is adjacent, rather than retail for locals. How about a national jazz center in the old power plant? That place could hold a large auditorium as well as a massive museum.

Also, for the record, the two story McDonald's on St. Charles is awesome. I'm speaking as someone who was six years old when it was built in my neighborhood in 1987. So trust me here.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 8:15 PM
TL;DR

Cool concept. Too bad it's so ugly. I do like the idea of having a replica ship, though.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAandMagazine View Post
The Slave Ship Museum looks incredible! I guess this means we should really be thinking "tourist attraction" for the old power plant, which is adjacent, rather than retail for locals. How about a national jazz center in the old power plant? That place could hold a large auditorium as well as a massive museum.
Not to be a downer here, but there's no money in line for the Slave Ship Museum. The man behind it says once he gets approval for the location he is going to seek "private investors." I don't imagine that there are a lot of private investors lining up to fund this project. I imagine the city council will issue some sort of a proclamation supporting the project at the location so he can keep his dream alive, but I wouldn't expect any progress for a long time. I had big hopes for Riversphere at the same location and, despite much more impressive backing, nothing came of that project.

Has anyone had a chance to read through the GNO Water Plan (I hate how it's not downloadable, so I can't read it offline). Anything interesting in it?

Tennis, Regarding the extension of Howard Ave., I am also confused. It must presuppose demolition of the Post Office. But if I am reading the budgeting docs properly, only $1.5mm has been allocated to the project, which wouldn't even begin to cover property acquisition.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 9:29 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by polemic View Post
Not to be a downer here, but there's no money in line for the Slave Ship Museum. The man behind it says once he gets approval for the location he is going to seek "private investors." I don't imagine that there are a lot of private investors lining up to fund this project. I imagine the city council will issue some sort of a proclamation supporting the project at the location so he can keep his dream alive, but I wouldn't expect any progress for a long time. I had big hopes for Riversphere at the same location and, despite much more impressive backing, nothing came of that project.

Has anyone had a chance to read through the GNO Water Plan (I hate how it's not downloadable, so I can't read it offline). Anything interesting in it?

Tennis, Regarding the extension of Howard Ave., I am also confused. It must presuppose demolition of the Post Office. But if I am reading the budgeting docs properly, only $1.5mm has been allocated to the project, which wouldn't even begin to cover property acquisition.
Its somehow supposed to weasel its way through the UPT and the Post office. no demolition of anything besides railway stuff I think. I dont really understand it and I saw a plan once but that was years ago and I forgot what it entailed.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 9:33 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by polemic View Post
I read a bit of it and then got bored lol... I gathered the gist of what they were proposing is a stormwater reduction system that they think will also create property value. The closest thing to compare it to would be the cities Complete Streets Initiative. Its a framework for how we should develop going forward.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Its somehow supposed to weasel its way through the UPT and the Post office. no demolition of anything besides railway stuff I think. I dont really understand it and I saw a plan once but that was years ago and I forgot what it entailed.
According to the Union Passenger Terminal master plan, back in 2010 or so, the city was going to negotiate with the station to tear down and relocate that small baggage claim/catering building connected to the station, as well as the #1 track behind it, and the street will run through there. There was also mention of negotiating with the post office to take their parking lot and corner of their building, tear down 20' or so, to make for wider sidewalks around the new street. The first plan called for a 5' and a 2' sidewalk, but if they got the post office, then they could do two 7' safer sidewalks.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 11:38 PM

Story on http://nola.curbed.com about new development in the LGD:

For the first time ever, New Orleans is getting river-front apartments that are – gasp! – affordable. The Lykes Steamship Building, former office buildings for the old steamship company, is now 52 apartments called Centennial Place

http://yourlykes.com/plans/centennial-place/

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
WOW!! This is the first of this project I'm hearing about. It could be really cool though. I'm not in love with the location, but if they're going to have a sailing ship, I suppose their options are limited. I'd rather it go at the foot of Elysian Fields, but I'm just being picky.

[Image courtesy of Uptown Messenger]
Seems like a good tourist joint.
Location sucks, agree there. If it ever gets past the drawing board though..

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 3:35 PM
c'est le temps.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
I'll try to do the CBD ... Maybe we can get each of us to cover a different. Neighborhood ... I live in CBD so warehouse district and CBD I can handle
Any luck Tennis? I'm waiting anxiously for the pics!!! Do you know any more on the Howard Ave extension or where I can I can find Info on it online? Thanks!!

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 4:05 PM
c'est le temps.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled In Lafayette View Post
Any luck Tennis? I'm waiting anxiously for the pics!!! Do you know any more on the Howard Ave extension or where I can I can find Info on it online? Thanks!!

Also, would it be better to start a new thread maybe titled "New Orleans Project Development Photo Page" ? Instead of filling this with so many pics? Thanks again!

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 6:50 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled In Lafayette View Post

Well where do we want to post these photos... also I will try and do this today... work first but I promise to try and get to it soon.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 7:29 PM
c'est le temps.....

Everyone on the blog should decide.....Maybe voice their opinions on this forum and decide where to go from there.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 7:44 PM

I think it's best if photos just go here. It's standard practice for the other cities and gives us a nice index of updates.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 7:49 PM

Yeah I think it's best to post the pics in this thread.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 8:46 PM

Photos here would be best, would be beneficial for additional discussion as well.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 8:58 PM
life is good

Flying to town tonight, will try to grab some pics of the new spots on Freret, a couple of Mid-City and some downtown. Tennis - I'm bout to google your directions as I have never been able to post a pic.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 9:50 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
Flying to town tonight, will try to grab some pics of the new spots on Freret, a couple of Mid-City and some downtown. Tennis - I'm bout to google your directions as I have never been able to post a pic.
Use Flickr!

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 10:44 PM
TL;DR

I prefer Imageshack; the process is faster and there's no limit on the number of images you can upload (unlike Flickr where you must pay for Pro).

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 11:00 PM

Since I no longer live in NO, my vote doesn't count for much, but I'd prefer to have the pictures on this same thread.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations