HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 11:06 PM

Austin | Hanover Brazos Street | 513 Feet | 45 Floors | Complete

There are no details yet other than it's a "high-rise", and it's not in a CVC. It will be discussed at Monday's Historic Landmark Commission meeting. So we should get renderings as soon as tomorrow or Monday at the latest. There is a warehouse on the site that will be partially demolished.

From Streetview:

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Last edited by Urbannizer; Sep 22, 2022 at 9:25 PM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 2:25 AM

That’s the U Ship building, I think.

Literally every corner of DT is up for grabs.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 3:02 AM

Interesting that it's a partial demolition. Does that building hold any kind of historical significance?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 3:09 AM

At least whatever gets built here should hide the ugly blank wall of the Hyatt Place.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairkeith View Post
At least whatever gets built here should hide the ugly blank wall of the Hyatt Place.
Tangentially, I’ve been wondering idly what the average price per sq ft in the DT market would have to be to make knocking down the Hyatt Place, Hampton Inn, and/or Courtyard/Residence Inn desirable. None of those are particularly good uses of unencumbered blocks, and it’s clear that buildings anywhere from double to triple their heights are getting built pretty easily all over DT.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Literally every corner of DT is up for grabs.
Yes, it's a real estate frenzy. It will end one day, but until then the ride is pretty sweet.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 12:07 AM

I updated the thread title with the name and height info. It's another Hanover residential project designed by the same architect who designed the Hanover Republic Square project. They are doing a good job of incorporating the warehouse into the podium. The renderings are screen captures from the HLC meeting because no backup file was posted online.

http://austintx.swagit.com/play/12162019-1260

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 12:26 AM

Nice looking podium. Good height for the little row of towers between the CC and the JW Marriott. Seems very similar to the other Hanover project downtown.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 2:02 AM

Okay, yeah, I'm pretty in love with this one so far, without having seen the tower portion. The U-Ship warehouse isn't historic but it's brick which is nice.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 2:28 AM

Wow! I spaced this one.

Hanover doesn’t play games. This will happen. Just wow!

Design is on point.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 4:16 PM

Thanks for pulling those docs, The ATX.

Honestly, it looks like the ground floor is about as "maximized" as it could be, given the footprint of the building. I'd love to see some developers letting commercial space take over parts of the second (or even higher) floors of buildings, but oh well. And I doubt any substantial retail space will ever end up in this area, given its proximity to the CC and Dirty 6th.

Facade and ground floor looks pretty good, honestly. I really like the glass surrounding the inner brick facade. Reminds me of something that'd be built in NY or Chicago.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 6:00 PM

Really good job integrating the existing warehouse into the building. Is this apartment as well? Hanover could have stacked these two if they wanted to develop that much supply in such close time proximity

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
Thanks for pulling those docs, The ATX.

I doubt any substantial retail space will ever end up in this area, given its proximity to the CC and Dirty 6th.
ditto on the docs ATX

Gecko.....I agree and it makes me wonder where will the eventual "Miracle Mile" of downtown Austin go? I always envisioned Congress Avenue as the street that deserves, can handle a real shopping experience like a mini Miracle Mile. It would make sense that high end retailers would want to be close to one another, and for many reasons I think it will take high end retailers to really push something like the MM of Chicago in Austin. Crowds come to browse the couture shops then buy at H&M. Maybe will we never get them, it's tough for high end shops I think because Austin is so "young money" and extremely casual. I'm curious to know how Neimans and Tiffany's do at the Domain. I've never shopped them, though I've spent some coin at LV a few times...chics.....amiright?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
ditto on the docs ATX

Gecko.....I agree and it makes me wonder where will the eventual "Miracle Mile" of downtown Austin go? I always envisioned Congress Avenue as the street that deserves, can handle a real shopping experience like a mini Miracle Mile. It would make sense that high end retailers would want to be close to one another, and for many reasons I think it will take high end retailers to really push something like the MM of Chicago in Austin. Crowds come to browse the couture shops then buy at H&M. Maybe will we never get them, it's tough for high end shops I think because Austin is so "young money" and extremely casual. I'm curious to know how Neimans and Tiffany's do at the Domain. I've never shopped them, though I've spent some coin at LV a few times...chics.....amiright?
I think the Neimans at the Domain does pretty well. Always busy when I'm there.

As far as a Miracle Mile, the logical place would be a further expansion of S Congress into the Statesman site. The new Music Lane project on S Congress has already announced a few somewhat higher end names (Soho House, Le Labo, Neighborhood Goods, etc.) It would be really cool if the Statesman site continued that retail/shopping feel.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futures View Post
I think the Neimans at the Domain does pretty well. Always busy when I'm there.

As far as a Miracle Mile, the logical place would be a further expansion of S Congress into the Statesman site. The new Music Lane project on S Congress has already announced a few somewhat higher end names (Soho House, Le Labo, Neighborhood Goods, etc.) It would be really cool if the Statesman site continued that retail/shopping feel.
True, but South Congress is so disjointed to me. And the 2 sides of the street feel far apart. There is something cool about shopping amongst skyscrapers. Seeing the fashion, the gorgeous people, the window dressings.....you get the idea. Especially at XMas.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 10:29 PM
クラブトクヨ

My favorite thing about Tokyo is all the department stores and shopping that is multilevel high rises on the first floors.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 3:11 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

2nd Street is our retail street but there is the issue of several stores not sustaining. Most recent being Modcloth.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 3:42 AM

I think Austin is too car-centric for a thriving downtown shopping district. The Domain is much easier for most people because there is plenty of free parking. Maybe in 10 years this will look a bit different.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papertowelroll View Post
I think Austin is too car-centric for a thriving downtown shopping district. The Domain is much easier for most people because there is plenty of free parking. Maybe in 10 years this will look a bit different.
Maybe in 10 years brick and mortar will be completely dead. Did you ever think about that!!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 5:19 AM

really happy to see this design moves the texture of the warehouse forward. Really expands the feel and look of an otherwise "New modern generic" design.
Smart move. Makes sweet level much more interesting than the rest of the building.
Hope it sticks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin