HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myBrain View Post
With the open crown and the cross-bracing zig zag running up the top, it has a very mechanical look to it that I think will compliment the Independent's screened in crown.
I thought the same thing. This is pretty great for a next-level Austin tallest. I do think the crown could use an antenna though

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 6:18 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
I thought the same thing. This is pretty great for a next-level Austin tallest. I do think the crown could use an antenna though
I'm usually not crazy about spires, but yeah, looking at the west elevation, I was thinking it would look alright for this one to have one.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post

Is Sutton still involved with this?
Rumored to be Lincoln and Lynd

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 2:45 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
In case anyone has noticed, there is a historic home on the NE corner of the block built circa mid-1800s. Approval to demo the building won't happen and approval to move it would be unlikely. From Streetview:

But it you look at the CVC determination posted earlier in this thread, the home is not included in the CVC determination. So it appears that this little house will remain. I think it's really cool that a nearly 200 year old home will share the block with this tower.
I like that also. It seems that it just might be possible to preserve some stuff and have new stuff at the same time after all....whodathunkit?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytoony View Post
Rumored to be Lincoln and Lynd
That is interesting...Lincoln and Lynd have been competitors up to this point on both their development and property management platforms.

Also in responding to the Sutton question: Sutton's sole investment focus these days seems to be just gobbling up as many downtown development sites as they can for land plays. They originally bought the land for what is now the Millenium Rainey project, publicized a rendering of two 50-story towers and subsequently sold it to Dinerstein, which then built that huge missed opportunity of an 8-story building.

Sutton also bought out all of the Villas on Town Lake condos, flashed a rendering of two 50+ story buildings and subsequently sold the site to Genesis (at least they still plan to build something 40 stories tall).

The Waller Park Place sites will inevitably get sold off to some other group as well and will never happen as originally proposed (fingers crossed that may turn out to be a good thing). I have lost all faith in Sutton's ability to actually deliver new towers. They just create hype around the site potential to add more value for reselling land parcels in the future.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 5:51 AM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXPhil View Post
...I have lost all faith in Sutton's ability to actually deliver new towers. They just create hype around the site potential to add more value for reselling land parcels in the future.
If you have lost faith in Sutton then there was something he did to give you that faith. What specifically was that? When has he shown the "ability" to build what has been proposed?

Sutton has never built a tower. Furthermore, it's clearly obvious that it was never his intent to develop the land he acquired. He is the new "Tom Stacy." More of a commercial real estate property and land investor - not a "major project" developer. Which is not a bad thing. He's made a hell of a lot of money in "hyping" his properties to increase their value and selling them. I would not necessarily condemn him for his business model.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
You could very well be correct. My estimation was not quite as detailed.

If you are correct, the building, as shown, would be 869.5' tall. Don't forget about those inches.
This is correct. I used a work program that scales PDF images. The top part is 20' making it 869.5' total.

BUT if you measure from the right side of image which is south and 6th street, the measurement is 3.25' more. (at the PDF resolution I scaled at I could be off by a couple inches but still). Total height from 6th street should be 872.75ish?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
Isn't Renaissance Tower in Dallas in the 800's? I think it's official height is somewhere near 890' (with spires).
You are absolutely right, I forgot about Renaissance Tower. I'm sure I missed a few others as well. Though it may not be Texas first 800 footer, but it will be the first one for Austin.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 10:19 PM

Unfortunately we have to let this go... Sutton is just flipping the property. They don't build anything.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 11:54 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanwolf View Post
This is correct. I used a work program that scales PDF images. The top part is 20' making it 869.5' total.

BUT if you measure from the right side of image which is south and 6th street, the measurement is 3.25' more. (at the PDF resolution I scaled at I could be off by a couple inches but still). Total height from 6th street should be 872.75ish?
Interesting. 873 feet (rounded up from 872 feet 3/4 inches) would make it taller than Charlotte's tallest. Theirs is 871 feet. I'd be real interested in seeing the rest of the elevations that show all 4 sides of the building.

Here's the breakdown on where we would rank with this one:

We'd be passing Oklahoma City, Denver, Minneapolis, Detroit, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Mobile, Miami, Boston, Pittsburgh, and Jersey City with this one, and Charlotte if it indeed is 872 feet 3/4 inches tall.

Only Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago, Cleveland, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Philadelphia, and New York would have taller buildings in the US.

A few caveats, Miami has several towers planned that would be taller than this, even several supertalls. Denver also has a 74-story tower planned that is stated as being at least 800 feet. Jersey City also has several tall towers planned. One 79-story tower and even 95-story tower that is assumed will be at least 1,000 feet.

Thou shall not indict

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Aug 3, 2017 at 12:28 AM.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 11:58 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXboom View Post
Unfortunately we have to let this go... Sutton is just flipping the property. They don't build anything.
Second post on this thread says it is a Lincoln property now, not Sutton.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 12:03 AM
Meh

One thing about that is that Sutton never made a public announcement about any plans they had. I wouldn't be surprised if it was circulating in real estate circles, but they never mentioned it publicly. It seems like if they were solely interested in promoting the site for major development that they'd be seeking the publicity with the announcements. I remember the T. Stacy project getting all kinds of press coverage. This is the first I've heard of any plans for something for that block, though, it doesn't surprise me at all.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
If you have lost faith in Sutton then there was something he did to give you that faith. What specifically was that? When has he shown the "ability" to build what has been proposed?

Sutton has never built a tower. Furthermore, it's clearly obvious that it was never his intent to develop the land he acquired. He is the new "Tom Stacy." More of a commercial real estate property and land investor - not a "major project" developer. Which is not a bad thing. He's made a hell of a lot of money in "hyping" his properties to increase their value and selling them. I would not necessarily condemn him for his business model.
Sutton developed the Plaza Lofts downtown back in the early 2000's, which at 12 stories is considered a high-rise. They were not very active during the late 2000's or early 2010's but then started buying up development sites downtown. I'm not condemning the business model, and you're right they have probably made a ton of money without any real development risk. But Mac Pike has been telling every media outlet around town that Sutton is going to develop the sites. I was actually in attendance at the Bisnow forum listed in this article below in which he was a panel speaker and he boasted to a room of 400+ Austin real estate professionals about how Sutton would be developing the towers.

You're also right that (in hindsight) this was clearly not their intent but that was my point. He goes on to say in this article that Sutton would be "start the permitting process immediately." And he goes into detail about floor plans, etc. which is a lot different than just producing renderings to hype the potential of a project. So yeah, I had hope at one point that they had partnered with some mega-institutional equity firms with deep enough pockets to make a 1.2M Sq. Ft. development happen as was rumored with WPP and they might actually build something.

https://www.bisnow.com/austin-san-an...er-creek-61686

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXboom View Post
Lincoln and Lynd build things.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXPhil View Post
Sutton developed the Plaza Lofts downtown back in the early 2000's, which at 12 stories is considered a high-rise. They were not very active during the late 2000's or early 2010's but then started buying up development sites downtown. I'm not condemning the business model, and you're right they have probably made a ton of money without any real development risk. But Mac Pike has been telling every media outlet around town that Sutton is going to develop the sites. I was actually in attendance at the Bisnow forum listed in this article below in which he was a panel speaker and he boasted to a room of 400+ Austin real estate professionals about how Sutton would be developing the towers.

You're also right that (in hindsight) this was clearly not their intent but that was my point. He goes on to say in this article that Sutton would be "start the permitting process immediately." And he goes into detail about floor plans, etc. which is a lot different than just producing renderings to hype the potential of a project. So yeah, I had hope at one point that they had partnered with some mega-institutional equity firms with deep enough pockets to make a 1.2M Sq. Ft. development happen as was rumored with WPP and they might actually build something.

https://www.bisnow.com/austin-san-an...er-creek-61686
Sutton also did the Brazos Lofts, as well as a number of apartment to condo conversions. One I remember is The Spring (on Robert E. Lee not high-rise downtown).

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 8:20 PM

Statesman ran a story on this tower today:

http://www.statesman.com/business/ex...eQEQlDJO5S6mM/

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 8:32 PM

BOOM! It sounds like this one might get taller.

"The tower as currently designed has 62 stories, although ultimately there could be more, possibly up to the “mid-70s” range, Lynd said."

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 8:46 PM

New renderings from article -- with some substantial differences from the first rendering. IMO this one is more bland

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhoof View Post

BOOM! It sounds like this one might get taller.

"The tower as currently designed has 62 stories, although ultimately there could be more, possibly up to the “mid-70s” range, Lynd said."
Also, "We’re moving full speed ahead,” Lynd said"

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 8:54 PM
Member since 2001

Mid 70's??? Oh, please!!!!!!!

If the design remains the same and the floor-to-ceiling ratio stays constant; this thing could top out around 1050' with 75 stories (after adding the current design of a 20' crown).

**Austin Business Journal picked up the Statesman story too. There are more renderings in their slideshow, but, I cannot get them downloaded to post.

Last edited by GoldenBoot; Aug 4, 2017 at 9:13 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin