HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 8, 2017, 7:49 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I agree, trees can and should be moved when possible. Simply comes down to cost.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2017, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I agree, trees can and should be moved when possible. Simply comes down to cost.
And viability.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2017, 3:08 AM
World Traveler

Agreed. If there's a chance of it being moved and surviving in another location, do it. If there's a way to develop around said tree (i.e., it's on the edge of a development tract), leave it there because, you know, it's been there a while and seems to be doing okay for the most part.

I'm all for developers planting lots of new trees as well, so long as they're native species that can make it without too much care (because that is one of the first things to go when businesses leave, etc., and non-native species tend to die).

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTM-ATX View Post
I would like to pose this to the group for discussion.

First, I'm pro development and growth but also value our green spaces and big trees. I just think we could do a little better of a job here...

There are 2 Heritage Live Oaks on the City ROW at this site that are slated for permanent removal. Tree 804 (29" at the corner of 11th & Sabine) & Tree 805 (32" on 11th). 805 is dead and dying and obviously cant be saved. What about tree 804? The developers are proposing to pay $200 per caliper inch total (300% replacement for Heritage Trees of 24" or larger per law) for tree 804 ($17,400) to the Waterloo City Park Development Fund. This info can be found on page 37 of 39 in the site plan link.

It seems a little ironic to me that many larger trees were cut down in Waterloo park for the tunnel construction project and that this is a missed opportunity to help replace the removed tree canopy. The park is less than 1.5 blocks from this tree so why cant it just be moved there? Probably because it costs too much right?

UT has moved/relocated 46 heritage trees over the years with a 93% success rate. Kudos to them! Greenwater developers relocated a live oak on Cesar Chavez to the upper bank of Shoal Creek recently. Northshore built around several big trees creating an inviting patio space albeit at an expense. The Independent built around several large trees. Is it not worth it? I personally think so.

Here is the street view of the subject tree:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/E+...4!4d-97.734364

Here is the UT tree relocation story:
https://sustainability.utexas.edu/co...building/trees

I welcome your opinions and perspectives. Thx!
My opinion is you are not pro development. You are a tree hugger. Nothing wrong with that. Just don't confuse the two.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 3:50 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Dandy View Post
My opinion is you are not pro development. You are a tree hugger. Nothing wrong with that. Just don't confuse the two.
Actually you can be both, it's called environmentally conscious or environmentally friendly development.

True that Genral, there are other factors besides cost such as the health and quality of the tree how well it will be able to handle being moved. If Its not healthy chances are that it won't survive being dug up and moved.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Dandy View Post
Totally disagree. You can be both.... and IMHO ... should be... else you end up with non- people friendly development.... and non environmentally sustainable urban centers.

..... and, FYI..... we all know "Tree Hugger" is usually used in a negative connotation. Just a thought.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 4:29 PM

Saving healthy trees on a site is not done for the sake of tree-hugging, it's what separates good design from bad design. Preserving trees and other natural features not only protects habitats, but they can turn out to be major assets to the site as it is developed. Simply wiping a site clean without any environmental consideration is terrible design, both architecturally and in an urban planning sense.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 6:20 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I'm the weirdo conservative that likes development AND trees.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 7:24 PM
Meh

Besides - "the suburbs are where they cut down all the trees and name the streets after them."

Trees are good. Especially in Texas.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 11:44 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Besides - "the suburbs are where they cut down all the trees and name the streets after them."

Trees are good. Especially in Texas.
And if people want to be all about the bottom line, mature trees add a lot of value to a piece of property.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 11:52 PM
World Traveler

I hate sticks in front yards, so property values aside (while an outstanding point), it just looks better to have mature trees.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 5:28 PM

Last edited by Max Tower; Oct 20, 2017 at 6:46 PM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 6:05 PM

My quick thoughts on these renderings:

I think it's awesome for a couple of reasons. Sure, it's not anything truly special, but hear me out:

1. Literally anything decent going in around that area is a good, because it's terrible right now. No one wants to hang out around 10th and red river. More buildings like this could change that.

2. Looks to have okay street interaction, again nothing too crazy, but something is better than nothing

3. It's not just off-white and blue like so many other apartments/condos (spring, bowie, 360, seaholm, etc.)

4. Brick looks good in pretty much any downtown setting

5. It isn't 60% parking garage

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 6:12 PM

Boy howdy. That's significant.

That will cluster with the Hotel Mirabeau, and whatever ends up at Brackenridge.

Am I missing another building in that part of the city? I feel like I am.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 6:50 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Not bad for what it is. It does remind me a bit of the Four Seasons Residencies. The height is what I like the best about it. Will definetly help liven up that area.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Boy howdy. That's significant.

That will cluster with the Hotel Mirabeau, and whatever ends up at Brackenridge.

Am I missing another building in that part of the city? I feel like I am.
There's a possible mixed-use tower going up either at the Velocity Credit Union building, the storage annex next to the 700 E. 11th site, or both. The CVCs, both existing and proposed, make everything more interesting -- it's a weird little area.

http://austin.towers.net/new-mixed-u...h-12th-streets
http://austin.towers.net/whats-the-l...of-the-capitol

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Tower View Post
There's a possible mixed-use tower going up either at the Velocity Credit Union building, the storage annex next to the 700 E. 11th site, or both. The CVCs, both existing and proposed, make everything more interesting -- it's a weird little area.

http://austin.towers.net/new-mixed-u...h-12th-streets
http://austin.towers.net/whats-the-l...of-the-capitol
And block 87 won't be far away.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 8:24 PM

It's good to see something a little different going up. The backup files have a lot of good info.

That area desperately needs development. There was a KXAN story a couple days ago about the drug dealing at the Arch moving to this area due to the increased police presence at the Arch.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 8:42 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
It's good to see something a little different going up. The backup files have a lot of good info.

That area desperately needs development. There was a KXAN story a couple days ago about the drug dealing at the Arch moving to this area due to the increased police presence at the Arch.

Yea, it shows that the problem isn't a simple fix. It doesn't address the root problem by dealing with the drug issue around the Arch because it drives the problem to other areas. That will continue to be the case until a long term solution is figured out.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 8:52 PM

I really like it. It's nothing spectacular but it looks like a good quality design with attention to detail and good materials.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin